PDA

View Full Version : CPL, ATPL, Flight schools etc...

Tonic Please
16th Sep 2005, 20:14
Hi all. Very brief background. Canadian PPL. 21 Years old end of October. Canada is my dream location. Been there many times. None of the "aviations crap" BS as I'm quite a bit more informed than most due to my extensive travels there and mass of family and friends all over the place.

I only have a PPL but with about 110 hours. I will go all the way with my training. Childhood dream. Money going up and will have 30C$ by next July. Big money has to go to a particular school who can provide me with a damn trustworthy service, and excellent history. Anywhere in Canada.

I'm after Muli, IFR, Commercial... and Ihave discovered the requirements for the ATPL. Wow. Lots of flying time required. Just the best and most ECONOMICAL way to do it. For example, do loads of things at night to make the 100 night flying hours required for the ATPL etc... What about flight instructing? To be honest, as much as i like teaching (ive taught English in france.. that finishes this week) and I teach Jazz Piano fulltime in England, I would rather just get tonnes of hours on my licences and apply for the charter jobs. No wasting time "building hours" by teaching and leave 2 years later. Not my kinda way.

Anyway, I'd be extremely greatful for some insights into schools (I was at VFC in Victoria YYJ for the PPL and it is chepaest but the east quite interests me).
Of course, methods for the most economical course to go with my licences. Multi IFR together? Then the CPL exams and flight test? or CPL first, get a pass and then go for MER/IFR, whilst studying ATPL stuff at the same time.

Should I buy some ATPL sylabus stuff like CDs, DVDs, books NOW? I think that would give me a huge headstart...and I guess it will help me greatly for the CPL theory exams.

I anxiously await your inspirational replies!

Regards,

Dan.

speedalive
18th Sep 2005, 21:37
Dan, from reading through your previous postings you seem to know it all, so why ask here?

I very much hope that you are not teaching anything other than elementary English. I would respectfully suggest that you brush up on your spelling, punctuation and grammar prior to your next class.

Tonic Please
18th Sep 2005, 21:44
I have difficulty trying to understand how you concluded I know everything from my previous postings.

I am only nearly 21 with a PPL. Do you think I'd write this on here if I already knew the answer? That was a long post. If the bit about "no BS" got on your goat, then I'll defend it a little by saying, that all I seem to read from supposed people in the know is that aviation is Canada is crap. Everywhere is crap. Everything is crap. Everything has good things and bad things. I was hoping to discourage waste of time posts saying "Don't bother the aviation scene is crap here". Well, it seems not as I see postings for jobs everywhere, talk of movement from reliable sources, etc...

Regarding the grammar etc, I just wrote the post, if you must know the details, as quick as possible as we had to go shopping before the shop closed and I wanted to get the thing on here instead of having to have waited for the following day.

I teach English in France, and so in a way, yes, it is elementary English. I don't like having to defend my 'honour' all the time but it seems to be the way of most web bulletin boards.

Could I please simply have some informative suggestions from people who consider themselves to realistically know something.

Avcanada didn't cause this kind of "waste of time response" and I am not suprised it happened here.

I wish I had 2 lives, and my second would be getting into the brains of people who waste their time and others, and the reasons behind it.

Dan.
And secondly, I'd like to add that I've studied Grammar extensively, especially during my French studies, and the teaching of English for Berlitz has proved to increase such knowlegde. I worked for the largest language center in the world, and the application process was not very easy. I'm not comparing it to aviation, however, I was expected to know a lot. Infact, just to further unfortunately defend myself, I am used at great length to confirm grammatical theory in teachers lessons who have difficulty explaining a particular point. Don't ask me why they are there, but that's not the point. I am also requested the most from the students I teach more than others simply due to my knowledge and approach to the language.

The same applies when I teach Jazz Piano. My students never get less than distinctions if they do Jazz graded exams for the ABRSM, and I would quite happily provide the proof if you so requested.

Satisfied?

:rolleyes:

bzh
19th Sep 2005, 03:25
Tonic, your english is as good as mine ...maybe better, I'm in toronto but like my name You know I come from the west, send me an email or leave me a personal contact and I'll get bake to you...

bzh

Tonic Please
19th Sep 2005, 09:29
Will PM asap. ai litel bizy wiv teechig inglich at va mowmante

:ouch:

And organising my contacts for my return to England on Sunday to commence Jazz lessons on the Monday. Busy life eh!

I look forward to speaking with you via PM.

Dan.:ok:

herc driver
20th Sep 2005, 13:09
Mount Royal College

Calgary, AB

Tonic Please
2nd Oct 2005, 17:41
Thanks I'll have a look on the web for that place. Good place then?

604guy
2nd Oct 2005, 18:37
Moncton Flight College
Moncton, New Brunswick

http://www.mfc.nb.ca/about.html

Enjoys a very good reputation; only school in Canada that I have heard of that does JAA training so may say something of the standard; I believe their graduates still enjoy a high success rate at landing those first jobs; from a social aspect it is in a great part of the country and is in the only officially bilingual (english/french) province in the country.

Tonic Please
2nd Oct 2005, 19:37
Interesting. My girlfriend is French and I speak French.

I'll do more research into it over the next few days.

Thank you sir

Dan.

flylady
13th Dec 2005, 18:36
Canadian Flight Centre Inc.
www.cdnflightcentre.com

Can't beat it. All Canadian ratings. The best staff and been around for 26 years. Highly trained people working all around the world. You get to fly around the mountains and ocean. Love it.

twinotter
14th Dec 2005, 09:12
another gud one is at Brampton

http://www.bramfly.com/

cleartoland04
16th Dec 2005, 14:44
Hi Dan,

If you're looking east I can also suggest Cargair on the St Hubert airport. Bilingual instructors, many aircraft available for training and the company has been around for more than 40 years.

The big plus now, Cargair is also a charter company called Max Aviation that operates 2 Navajos et 5 King Airs. All the pilots are former students and flight instructors though, so if you're not looking at instructing it might not be for you.

The other plus: Montreal, perfect for French and English and a very lively city.

You can PM me for more info.

Take care

Mat

l_reason
17th Dec 2005, 03:50
My suggestion would be to find a small cheap flight school that can accommodate you. I did my training at a small flight school (6 aircraft & 3 instructors) and was able to complete my CPL & instructor rating inside a year, first flight - first student.
Things you should be looking into:
-Housing & cost of living…. are you able to stay with family or friends? Chose the city wisely the cost of a room will vary greatly across the country.
-Weather. If you cant fly 4 days a week what’s the point!
- Will you need a car? Canada is a big place and most of our airports do NOT have public transportation access.
-Aircraft to instructor ratio. Too much of either and you cant have what you want when you want it.

I would recommend Cornwall Aviation (CYCC) hands down for a great place to do a multi or IFR rating. Both of mine took less then a week each!!!! They are a small low cost small town flight school that does 200+ flight tests a year. On the other hand Cornwall Ontario as a town is not a great place. http://www.pro-flight.on.ca/

I hope some of this will help you. I started young (instructing at age 19)at this aviation game I don’t want to discourage you but it is one hard road!!! The biggest danger in aviation today is starvation.

PT

Tonic Please
21st Dec 2005, 11:02
Thanks very much indeed for the links above. Sorry for the delays.

I have saved them and will call upon anybody if necessary in the new year :)

Dan.