PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol Phase 1 -any advice?

OnRoute
16th Sep 2005, 15:16
I'm heading for Eurocontrol for first time next moth and I'd love to find out a bit more about the tests.

So far I've found some topics regarding this and I know that I'm going to face the FEAST. According to Eurocontrol's web page the first phace consists of measuring one's basic skills in English language, mental arithmetic, decision-making, logical reasoning, working memory, visual perception, attention, and spatial orientation.

I've read that the tests include at least cube tests, listening comprehension of English language, listening number series and memorizing them, some kind of ATC simulator with flight strips.

What else to expect? What is the level of test in English language for person not speaking it as first language?

I'll write about those tests after finishing them as "The big Eurocontrol post" is a couple of years old.

-OnRoute-

OnRoute
2nd Oct 2005, 07:28
The day is getting closer so any advice would be more than welcome.

-OnRoute-

Moira
3rd Oct 2005, 11:08
Have a look at: http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/public/faq/jobs_faq.html#qa06

As far as English is concerned: selection, training and work are all in English, so you need a reasonable understanding of English to start with, but they won't expect you to be perfect... The important thing is that your English is good enough to understand the instructions for the tests, a simple English text (I'd say secondary school level), etc. But judging from your message I don't think you need to worry about that!

OnRoute
16th Oct 2005, 12:13
1st phase is now bygone. The arrangements have been slightly changed and now everyone is allowed to do only the tests taking place before lunch and at least in my group only about half of us continued for the afternoon session. Now I just need to wait for the results that should be available within a week. Eurocontrol is now testing some 60 applicants every two months (ie. 5 groups of maximum 12 applicants during a single week).

Instructions for the tests were really good and it is not possible to improve ones success a lot by training.

-OnRoute-

OnRoute
28th Nov 2005, 20:58
This time it seemed to be so that they had invited 3 groups of 6 people for second phase tests. Based on these, some were called for an interview day after. I was there during the last day and then only one of six got to the interview whereas the day before three out of five got the invitation.

-OnRoute-

retlaw
19th Oct 2006, 20:41
Hello OnRoute.

I'm taking 'the afternoon FEAST test' next week (In Belgium the two tests are on different days).

Would it be possible to give some more information about that second test? What do we have to do, what's the best a'pproach' to solving the problems as efficient as possible etc.

It may be so that you can't improve your result by prior testing but i like to know what i got coming. It helps me not to get too stressed out the day of the test :bored: .

Tia

OnRoute
20th Oct 2006, 07:02
Hello OnRoute.
Would it be possible to give some more information about that second test? What do we have to do, what's the best a'pproach' to solving the problems as efficient as possible etc.

The ATC strip exercise will require you to stay focused what you are doing for a half an hour or so. The instructions for the tasks are really good and you get to practise a little before the test itself. The test was divided between instruction session (an hour and half or so) and the test itself that lasted only some 30 minutes.

There are several different tasks you have to perform while doing the test (writing down new time estimates, organizing strips in right order, removing unnecessary strips, spotting collision problems).

Good luck with your tests.

-OnRoute-

scotstar
4th Nov 2006, 11:27
Hey Onroute and everyone!!! I have testing with eurocontrol soon and it is FEAST part one! Is there a cubes paper in the morning with nets of cubes? Number sequencing?? I have done the NATS testing...is it similar at all? Sorry you prob not done it!! How u get on? U on second part of FEAST or thru to interview? xxx Thanks