PDA

View Full Version : Safety Concerns in UK

Foley
16th Sep 2005, 12:42
Calling all Pilots and Air Traffic Controllers. I am making a doumentary about Britains Air Safety. It would be very interesting to hear your views if you have any concerns about the Air Traffic Control System currently used.

Please contact me on 020 7578 2305

topcat450
16th Sep 2005, 13:49
Personally my only issue is with the damned seaguls who buzz around without getting a clearence. I'd rather you call me (save my phone bill) - I'm on 0908 652 1881 :ok: Hope to hear from you soon.

Caractacus
16th Sep 2005, 15:00
Good afternoon Foley!

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=189198

Perhaps you would consider making a documentary about the pressures that airline management place on pilots. There are some really contentious issues involving pressure on decision making and exhausting rosters that need airing.

Play your card well and you could be the first to break the story!

The correct spelling for our country is 'Britain' by the way.

RoyHudd
16th Sep 2005, 16:13
Foley, I hope this will be a comparative study, looking also at realtive safety of other countries. Please do not prepare a work just referring to the shortcomings of Britain's system. (Which happens to be the safest in the world IMHO)

helicopter-redeye
16th Sep 2005, 16:33
Strictly speaking, it is Great Britain, but this would exclude air safety in Northern Ireland so perhaps the catch all, United Kingdom would be the best geographical entity.

FlapsOne
16th Sep 2005, 16:34
Foley

Please do some spelling and punctuation revision before the documentary goes out.

Britain's

Genghis the Engineer
16th Sep 2005, 16:59
From a GA perspective, I suspect that it's getting so damned expensive that nobody can afford to stay current anymore!

G

unmanned transport
16th Sep 2005, 17:47
Strictly speaking, it is Great Britian.

Do you mean the islands of Britian?

Piltdown Man
16th Sep 2005, 18:50
My concern is about those airlines who are based in the UK but have an "overseeing" authority in another country. A bit like Mikey the Pikey's lot really. I also worry about non-EU operators using 5th freedom rights granted by that overweight, fishy smelling, two jags owing, former commie B8satrd Prescott who just pitch up in the UK and displace EU (read UK) operators who would normally employ EU pilots. I also dislike - intensely, un-informed, over-sensationalised, poorly researched articles about aviation.

fmgc
17th Sep 2005, 00:08
I also dislike - intensely, un-informed, over-sensationalised, poorly researched articles about aviation.

You mean basically every article written about aviation.

Every article I read about aviation is inaccurate. every article that my family full of Doctors reads about medicine is inaccurate.

So how can I trust anything written about anything else?

Colonel Klink
17th Sep 2005, 07:37
Maybe have a look at how the modern "low cost" culture is driving flight and cabin crew to work far harder than ever before to levels previously unimaginable by the people that wrote the rules, longer days, less leave and poor rest between flights. Short turnarounds and less backup to make our job even harder, all part of the modern "lean and mean" concept that is slowly killing us. One day soon there will be a huge accident in Europe that will squarely point the finger at Pilot fatigue and EVERYBODY in the UK will stand up and say:" Well, we all knew THAT was going to happen!".

LNAV VNAV
17th Sep 2005, 07:49
I'm not British but something you might also want to look into is the upcoming flight time regulation scheme that will affect not just Britain but everyone that will be under EASA. :(

rockflake
19th Sep 2005, 17:53
Hi all,

I can see it now. Groups of pilots in anaroks with stripey sleeves huddling over the airport notice board spotting the errors of grammar. One point for a spelling error, two points for a missed apostrophe, an exciting ten points for spotting a misstreated subjunctive.

I'm glad to hear that it's only journalists who make mistake about aviation issues. Regular ppruners have suggested that even pilots get their facts wrong occasionally. As someone who has been watching this board for a long time, I know that's a complete fallacy.

regards,

Rockflake

standardbrief
19th Sep 2005, 21:13
i agree with klink a doco about unrealistic pressures from operations and the like, people who, i realise work hard:ok: but think we sit on our arse all day doing nothing and i know for a fact i do stuff sometimes.
the low cost model championed by lets face it a srewd buisness man but a chip on his shoulder about pilots m o'lear* is the worst thing to happen to aviation workers since 911.