PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly the Cirrus

Colin Tozer
15th Sep 2005, 21:18
OK so I've just passed my IMC and want to re-invigorate my interest in flying the 'dream' plane - Cirrus SR20/22.

So any ideas on how I can start? Who hires them or trains on them?

So far I've drawn blanks with Bristol Flying Centre, Aero's in Gloucester and nothing at Blackbushe or Kemble.

Presumably I can't just jump into one and go flying without some form of transition training?

Whilst based in the West Country, I regularily travel to the West side of London to get to the right kind of place.

Given the small number of Cirruses at the moment any recommendations for training, hire etc.?

egld0624
15th Sep 2005, 21:27
Colin,

Try Ian Valentine's website http://www.cirrus147.com/
and get in contact. Quite a helpful chap.

He runs a small fleet of them at Denham (straightforward to reach from the M40/M4 and M25 if you're coming in from the west country)....and only 25 mins from Marylebone by train from town.

Good luck

EG:ok:

TAAUK John
16th Sep 2005, 17:15
Hi all,

Myself and two partners are awaiting delivery of our first SR20GTS. This aircraft plus a SR22G2 will be on the fleet in a new company based at Denham called TAA UK Ltd. Our prime objective is to bring Technically Advanced Aircraft to all pilots and not just those that can afford to join a group or buy one themselves.
The SR20 will be on the G-reg and subject to a few bits of paperwork being signed TAA UK will be in operation in the middle of October affiliated to Cabair.
I will be the CFI and have been a Cirrus Standardised Instructor for over a year with more than 1000 hours on type.
The initial training will be 2-3 days depending on experience and knowledge of the aircraft systems. It is very important that you know how the Garmins work before you get in it, otherwise you will not benifit as much as someone who does. We don't train you to fly it as such, we train you to operate it!
Lots more to say, but I don't want it to sound like an advert!!

As for the screens going blank, it doesn't happen very often, and in over 1000 hours has never happened to me. If it does it'll only take 3 days to get a new one and change it. No big deal! The Cirrus can be flown very safely with all the backup instruments, infact it's backup is more advanced than alot of other aircrafts full complement.

Hope you come and check us out.

John
CFI TAA UK Ltd

Kyprianos Biris
16th Sep 2005, 18:25
It is very important that you know how the Garmins work before you get in it, otherwise you will not benifit as much as someone who does.

Hey Colin, I bet you won't have any issues on that front :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Sep 2005, 19:18
If it does it'll only take 3 days to get a new one and change it. No big deal! Not what the guy says happened to him in this month's Pilot.

matspart3
16th Sep 2005, 19:28
Not quite the UK West Country yet, but you never know...

http://www.aerogb.com/

TAAUK Bill
16th Sep 2005, 19:41
Hi all

As for the MFD issue mentioned in Pilot..ok he was unlucky .I have been just as unlucky with a car part that took 4 weeks from a main dealer ...

I own an Sr22G2 which has had a PFD failure (well it IS a computer :0 ) and if the correct procedures are followed , it can be in and repaired in 3 days tops..
This is new technology guys , and new technology has teething issues ..I wish my home Pc's were as reliable as the Cirrus has been for me !

All the best and hello to Kyp..hope you are using that hard won FAA IR :-)

cheers
Bill Padley