PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flying in the South East

0-8
14th Sep 2005, 19:44
I've recently finished my PPL and I'm looking to do some cheap, and preferably interesting, flying before I start my CPL.

The only requirements are that it needs to be cheap and within 90min drive of Gatwick. I'm also not really in the position to buy a share but if the Aircraft, price and airfield proximity fit me exactly I might be able to sort something out.

I'm going to use the opportunity to do as much interesting flying as possible. I've already planned some Aerobatics and a few hours in a Super Cub.
Those "no capital groups" sound ideal but I can't seem to find any. PFA aircraft might be worth a look too.

Suggestions anyone?

18greens
14th Sep 2005, 20:32
Try the G-OVIN group at southend. No capital Rockwell commander.

Is that too far???

tonyhalsall
15th Sep 2005, 10:33
DEpending on how many hours you are planning to do, I would not dismiss a group.

Whichever way you cut it, you are going to pay for your flying. Renting and no capital groups will generally cost you more per hour than buying a share in a well maintained aircraft.

Buying into a PFA syndicate of a RANS S6 or Streak Shadow or Jodel may well provide you with some seriously cheap and fun flying. The more hours you do, the more you will save in a Group.

Just do a bit of homework and choose the right aircraft and group and you will be far from dissapointed and you should still be able to sell your share on at the end of it

0-8
16th Sep 2005, 10:18
The Rockwell Commander sounds interesting do you have more details?

I haven't totally ruled out group flying but two things that put me off are the fact that I might not get the availability I require. And if something expensive happens to the aircraft I might be stuck with a big bill and no plane.

Can anyone else help?

foxmoth
16th Sep 2005, 10:27
I might not get the availability I require.

Most group aircraft have very good availability and the only way you will get anything much better is to buy your own which is not cheap!:(
n.b. I will be surprised if a Rockwell Commander is cheap however you do it.

tonyhalsall
16th Sep 2005, 13:53
If you have not already discovered it, you soon will..............

Flying is all about compromise and getting just exactly what you want might be prohibitively expensive.

Take a nice round figure of 100 hours a year.

You could say that you want and expect to have those one hundred hours when you want to have them and not be restricted by availability of an aircraft. Then you can neither consider renting, nor groups because other people and factors will come into the equation. But can you afford to buy your own aircraft? And then have it sat around for and average of 6 days and 22 hours every week?

LIght aircraft utilisation tends to be very low and I often see a C150 at Barton on the ground at week-ends despite having a 20 person syndicate owning it.

Be honest with yourself about your own expected use and don't allow your dreams to rule your head - however you cut it 100 hours in a year is going to cost you about £10,000 renting or about half that in a cheap PFA Group.

If you are quite flush with money and £10,000 for 100 hours doesn't faze you, why not buy your own PFA aircraft and syndicate it yourself so you can control utilisation?

I was in a three man syndicate and the aircraft was well under used and in the best year I did 75 hours and the other two did 20 between them - not even 100 hours between the three of us.

Good luck

PS - Check out AFORS and The hangar for an idea of aircraft prices, normally a few PFA types on there

foxmoth
16th Sep 2005, 14:29
about £10,000 renting or about half that in a cheap PFA Group.

Sounds about right, we have 5 in a Jodel (similar) group and it works out to about £6,000 for 100 hours - but this includes purchase price and everything else including landing fees (assuming 1 ldg/hour £10/ldg) and maintenance fund. Take out the purchase price (£2,500 for a 1/5 share) and you are down to £3,500 for your 100 hours - and this can be brought down even more by joining a larger group and/or joining a group operated out of a private field.
With 5 of us in the group our availability is such that we are considering adding a 6th member to increase utilisation.:ok:

KCDW
16th Sep 2005, 14:30
"I've already planned some Aerobatics and a few hours in a Super Cub."

Sounds like you have checked out the Tiger Club at Headcorn. I would suspect the Super Cub must be one of the cheapest rentals in the SE (something like £85 per hour after you've paid membership).

You'll improve your skills no end, highly recommended.