PDA

View Full Version : PPL validity

pipergirl
14th Sep 2005, 17:49
I'm sorry if this has been asked to death, but I have never understood what you need to do to keep your SEP rating valid and I need to get it clear so I don't get something wrong.

I had to do a skills test with an examiner on 06/11/04 to re-validate my rating as i did no flying for two years preceeding the check.
So, to keep current do I have to do 12 hours per year as a minimum is that only in the 12 months preceeding the expiry of the rating??

:8

BEagle
14th Sep 2005, 17:56
You need to fly 12 hours in the 12 months prior to the Rating expiry date, of which 6 must be as PIC and 1 must be a training flight with a FI. You also need to have flown 12 t/os and ldgs as 'sole manipulator of the controls' in the 12 months before the Rating expiry date.

Alternatively, you may fly a revalidation LPC with a FE in the 3 months before the Rating expiry date.

Goodluck to you now!

DaveW
14th Sep 2005, 22:24
This is handy (http://www.flyer.co.uk/jar/ppl_valid_single.php)

pipergirl
15th Sep 2005, 13:54
that is a handy site...thanks for the replies..things are a bit clearer, but just one last question...

If you meet the requirements for the rating in the 12 months preceeding the expiry date, do you need to get someone to sign you licence to say your rating is current?(eg...CFI etc?)

Chippik
15th Sep 2005, 14:25
yes you do, the CFI signed mine and I think the instructor who did the training flight with you signs the flight in your logbook as well. You need to present your licence, logbook and medical.

Brooklands
15th Sep 2005, 15:37
pipergirl
If you meet the requirements for the rating in the 12 months preceeding the expiry date, do you need to get someone to sign you licence to say your rating is current?(eg...CFI etc?)

There's more to it than that: there's a form (sorry don't know the number*) that has to be filled in and sent off to the CAA - if you don't do it before the expiry date then you haven't met the requriements, and your license lapses.

Brooklands
*This topic has come up before, so trying a search on this forum with some key words like 'licence' 'renewal' and 'revalidation' should prove fruitful

dublinpilot
15th Sep 2005, 15:52
As I understand it, it's not a CFI that has to sign that form, but an examiner.

Of course your CFI could also be a examiner.

PSF2J
20th Sep 2005, 23:18
You are correct. It is a Flight Examiner who needs to sign your SEP rating page in your PPL. You will also find that R/T Examiners are also granted this ability.

You also need to fill in the usual bit of paper and send it back to the CAA. The only good news is this is one of the few times, they don't expect money off you!

BEagle
21st Sep 2005, 06:30
One minor point, you may revalidate at any time within the last 12 months of the validity period, but due to yet another CAA cock-up when re-drafting the Air Navigation Order, the Examiner may only sign your licence within the final 3 months of the validity period.

If you don't revalidate within the last 12 months of the validity period, you may not fly as Commander until you have successfully flown a renewal LST with a Flight Examiner. Your licence does not lapse, but remember that thanks to the JAA it must be re-issued every 5 years (for which there is a fee, currently £59). It will not be re-issued unless you have a valid Rating and medical.

Whopity
21st Sep 2005, 08:31
"You will also find that R/T Examiners are also granted this ability."

This privilege is NOT on a RTF Examiners letter of Authorisation.

An "R" (Revalidation) Examiner can sign up a SEP/TMG revalidation by Experience.

The Form is SRG1119

pipergirl
21st Sep 2005, 10:19
thanks for the replies people..all much clearer now:D