PDA

View Full Version : starting off as a flying instructor whats the salary

philip2004uk
14th Sep 2005, 13:10
Thanks for your responses in advance. i was just wandering if i got the licence is it easy to find a job and how much would i get a year. would it be more than a sales assistant at tesco's.

Dave Gittins
14th Sep 2005, 14:01
The answers in my limited experience are :-

1) not that easy - unless you want to work on an hourly rate as and when and maybe get 5 - 10 hours work a week.

2) average 7.5 hrs / week at minimum wage

3) probably not.

:ok: DGG

philip2004uk
14th Sep 2005, 14:54
wow that's not good i think i'll go to uni and do a degree even though i'd have to still save up 15000. what about working in the u.s at a jaa school then there's the problem with visas and that's probably impossible.
Any other job ideas as that's the minimum level i want to go for cost purposes.

18greens
14th Sep 2005, 21:24
You want cheap flying and you are young enough to go to university.

OK a couple of quotes,' flying is ***** expensive' and 'there is no such thing as a free lunch.'

What you should do is:

1) Realise instructors get paid very little because they rack up hours for a small stipend rather than paying £150+ per hour.

2) Realise the queen owns lots of planes but can't fly any of them. Apply for the UAS, RAF and Navy and get paid to fly £10,0000/hour planes very fast and very low and probably get the best training in the world.

3) If you fail at 2 (no shame, lots have tried) get a good degree, earn money, jack it in, get a CPL IR , get an instructor rating do 1
then fly jet things.

4) ask why do you want to stackshelves at tesco?

5) realise getting a job in the US without a green card is hard

Good luck

unfazed
15th Sep 2005, 08:31
Realistic advice !

On a more positive note - University's tend to have flying clubs attached which are a great way to get up and running with your flying (free or subsidised). Gliders are another excellent starting point if money is tight.

The most important thing is to make a start and gain experience right from the start !

Good Luck !

Craggenmore
15th Sep 2005, 20:03
Dont forget that You can get a job in the US without needing a green card on a J1 VISA but ONLY for 2 years.

You will need sponsorship from one of the JAA flight schools which can be hard if they are fully staffed at the time of your application.

Al380
18th Sep 2005, 22:05
I work full time and I have a retainer of £25 per day. If I fly more than 1.7hr I am then paid £15 an hour for day VFR. This is OK in summer but winter is not as great. Most of schools pay a bit less if you are restricted.