PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff ATIS

No_Speed_Restriction
14th Sep 2005, 12:36
Question for Cardiff ATC:

A bit of an in-flight topic we as flight crew have when on-route to CWL. Why is the ATIS changed for very little change of weather. I have seen it changed(not even at the standard 30 minute interval) for a change of wind alone of a few knots. Is there a threshold for ATIS change?

"information alpha one minute, zulu the next" :E

plans123
14th Sep 2005, 13:11
I think you'll find that a DATIS code change should only happen if there is a significant change in the airfields details, ie: Rwy Change, colour, pressure etc.
But - each airfield will have its own rules to this, some change on the hourly observation, some only change if there are any actual changes (can be the same code all day if CAVOK).

I'm sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Cardiff have an automated DATIS (yet more robots putting humans out of jobs :) )
so any inputted changes onto the system will cause a change.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Sep 2005, 13:53
Sorry to butt in... but what do the colours mean on the ATIS please? Only the Mil used them when I was working..

Ta

Spitoon
14th Sep 2005, 16:36
There are very specific criteria for issuing a new wx observation. Whereas most human observers will wait a short while to see if moving through one of these criteria is a very short-term anomaly or whether it is the onset of a sustained change in the weather phenomenom. Unfortunately it seems that some of the automated systems are a bit trigger happy and will generate a new observation/ATIS at the drop of a hat - particularly if it happens near an anemometer. Still, I guess that's progress.

frostbite
14th Sep 2005, 17:17
Being pedantic, why do they say outside air temperature?

No-one will think they're talking about bath water.

spekesoftly
14th Sep 2005, 19:31
Sorry to butt in... but what do the colours mean on the ATIS please? Only the Mil used them when I was working..

I guess it's just possible that even the Mil now have ATIS ? ;)

(I suspect that plans123 was talking in general, rather than specifically about Cardiff.)

plans123
15th Sep 2005, 15:39
Blimey - just realised I typed about colour codes in.........my cover is blown!

I used to tune into the CDF Datis hourly (Ex - EGDX), so you get used to the robot voice.
The assistants just input the data and off the robot goes.......

RNGrommits
15th Sep 2005, 18:31
Yes the military have ATIS, although I must admit the DATIS system with the voices that don't quite have the correct sentance syntax still freqs me out after all these years.

jEtGuiDeR
15th Sep 2005, 19:22
Sorry to butt in... but what do the colours mean on the ATIS please? Only the Mil used them when I was working..HD, the colour code system is an abbreviated way of giving pilots the visibility and cloud base. Cloud base down one side of the table and visibility down the other, and where they meet is your colour. Red being the worst and Blue the best (White, Green, Yellow and Amber in between) :O

Partly Achieved
16th Sep 2005, 12:17
Cardiff uses PAMOS (Partialy Automated Met Observation System - not to be confused with SAMOS!) with a computer generated ATIS attached.

A change in the ATIS will occur whenever the met goes through one of the 'Met Special' criteria; e.g. wind speed changes by 10kt or more, it starts raining, met vis decreases below 5000m, etc, etc.

It will also change when the state of the airfield changes; e.g. runway change, LVPs, windshear reports, equipment unserviceabilities, St Athan acive and anything else we decide to add to the ATIS.

PAMOS only produces wind, temps and pressures automatically. Vis, weather and cloud are all done manually by the Met Observer.

PA

Gonzo
16th Sep 2005, 14:57
Just out of interest, PA, do the Met Observers hold a full ticket, or are they on a limited 'PAMOS Observer' ticket?

Partly Achieved
16th Sep 2005, 15:34
Gonzo,

Most hold full Met Obs Certificates, but some of the newer observers hold the 'PAMOS only' thing.

PA

alterego
16th Sep 2005, 15:53
Only just picked up on the end of this but CWL is famed amongst the LOCO flyers in CWL and BRS for changing alot.

Is it a hassle? Not really, more an endearing feature of our quiet corner of the UK.

plans123
16th Sep 2005, 16:08
During my time at EGDX, it was a running joke that the FF Assistants never did their Ob, until the 'Professional ATS Observers' at EGDX did theirs. Then they just changed it a little bit!! ;)

Oh those halcyon days. :ok:

Jetstream Rider
16th Sep 2005, 17:39
The colour codes in order are easy to remember with the following phrase:

Busty Women Go Yomping And Romping

Blue, White, Green, Yellow, Amber, Red

Its a good way of telling at a glance if the weather is good enough or not. You can also rate someone for a certain colour, with them being able to fly in anything up to Green, but not beyond for instance. I liked it when I flew with a UAS.