View Full Version : move to MXP any expats??

mjv
14th Sep 2005, 09:14
G’day,

We wanna move to Milan (MxP) within the next weeks any expats (English, Irish, German……) there? We come with 2 kids (2 and 5 years) and it would be handy to have someone to talk with ;-)).

Thanks

mjv

flyblue
14th Sep 2005, 20:43
mjv,
there are gazillions of expats around MXP. You won't feel lonely :E

tarjet fixated
14th Sep 2005, 20:54
When i started working in the UK i didn't look for expats to chat with....was more interested in locals.
Why would i go to the UK and look for germans or dutch people?weird way of looking at things...

mjv
14th Sep 2005, 22:54
Simple, Italians are friendly but not open to foreigners because of the language barrier. I don’t want to have my family hanging in there with no one to talk and getting upset after a couple of months. I do know the area and I never had troubles to communicate, but as said we want to make some english speaking friends to get easier into the society.:ok:

Thanks

mjv
:)

flyblue
15th Sep 2005, 10:10
mjv,
it's quite difficult to say beforehand what kind of people you'd be more likely to befriend. It also depends on many things (like age of children, your and your spouse's profession, etc) I think the best would be that you make your choice of friends after having settled. As I said, there is no shortage of expats.
The area with the higher density per square meter of expats is around the Lake Maggiore, especially around the city of Arona (Dormelletto is not called "The English Ghetto" for nothing ;) ).

Speevy
15th Sep 2005, 11:55
I gotta say I didn't like when Mjv said that Italians are not open to foregneirs cause of the language problem!
Let's try to put it in a nice way:
as a guest in this country you should at least understand that every country has its own langauge and colture, you don't go to a place and expect to find what you left at home.
I lived in many places and I always tried to adapt (learn the language is the first thing I would you suggest of doing it makes things easier and also funnier).
When I lived in english speaking country nobody was speaking a second languge (italian wasn't even in my wildest dream), why expecting things to be different in Italy.

Trust me we are not the best people in the world but ospitability is for sure part of our colture!

Anyway Good luck, relocating is always difficult, I know it!!!
Speevy

flyblue
15th Sep 2005, 12:34
Guys, let's not start a discussion about mjv's motives for seeking expat contacts please. This is only his choice to make, and a personal one, right or wrong.
Having been many times in my life an expat, I know that the kind of choice you can make depend on many factors, and also that having contacts with nationals abroad can be very comforting and useful.
Let's wish him a very happy stay in Italy :)

Skualo3
15th Sep 2005, 15:04
don`t know if you can commute, but tuscany is supposed to have a rather large population of Brits, also you might want to check out the closest airforce base, i grew up by one and there were hundreds of Americans in the little towns nearby the base.
I can only immagine the pressure you must be in, good luck and let me know if it becomes unbearable, my wife is American and we have been considering relocating.......

mjv
16th Sep 2005, 01:50
Ok, lets keep things right :)

I lived in Milan for almost 2 years and I never had any troubles to communicate or finding/making friends!

BUT it’s a bit different with a family, we moved from Germany to Switzerland to Ireland to France to Germany to NZ. I will f^ck off to work every day and having “fun” my missus and kids not!!!! So is it so hard for you guys to understand that?? Guess not!!!

Just in case someone wants to meet:

I’m an engineer :cool: hate flight crews ;) of course and doing all this men stuff, working, drinking, sports and my motorbike

My partner, hate cabin crews especially the good-looking girls, she does all the women stuff cooking, reading, bitching about….., aerobics and spending hours on the phone talking bull.

My two kids are 2 and 5 years, best looking boys on this planet are just boys and do what boys do.

btw, signed the contract and we will hit italy in october/november

mjv

@skualo3

thanks for the advice, but I think we will stay within the area and see how the family will handle the situation. I was offered a nice package and it’s a perfect chance to come back to Europe. If you are happy to relocate its most properly one of the better places in central Europe and as I said, the Italians are usually reserved (have to be careful) :} but as soon as you overcome the language barrier (after a couple of drinks or so) it changes rapidly.

mjv

GEENY
17th Sep 2005, 07:47
Maybe rita could help.

poydras
17th Sep 2005, 17:35
Welcome in italy Mjv.

don' t pay attention to someone like tarjet fixated. He is not a bad guy just a bit grouchy due to some brain inbalance.He forgets to shut off the cross feed valve and all the juice goes in his flux capacitor valve which gives him brain farts......

Saluti.

mjv
18th Sep 2005, 03:51
@geeny

is "she" the one next to la perla :confused:

mjv

GEENY
18th Sep 2005, 08:40
no, I suspect rita is a he, lives in ppruneland and does not like people like me (a non Italian) in Italy. Can't wait the comment....

flyblue
20th Sep 2005, 17:08
Rita has been behaving "herself" recently...let's keep it that way? ;)

annibal
21st Sep 2005, 17:03
simply .... Welcome !

Many foreiners live around lakes and Milan You won't have problems.

Ciao

vipero
22nd Sep 2005, 14:18
or better an internal "expat". I did move from Rome to MXP many years ago and still try to realize why :)

"I’m an engineer hate flight crews of course and doing all this men stuff, working, drinking, sports and my motorbike"

Hey! We got the same feelings (who knows why ground staff always hate "naviganti"? btw I'm a dispatcher)... I drive a Hornet 600, but roads' quality would suggest an off-road one.... What about you?

A little suggestion: kids learn languages very fast, take the chance to expand yr childern's culture not hanging them out at english speaking ones only.

Ciao

mjv
25th Sep 2005, 10:06
not actually an expats
or better an internal "expat". I did move from Rome to MXP many years ago and still try to realize why

"I’m an engineer hate flight crews of course and doing all this men stuff, working, drinking, sports and my motorbike"

Hey! We got the same feelings (who knows why ground staff always hate "naviganti"? btw I'm a dispatcher)... I drive a Hornet 600, but roads' quality would suggest an off-road one.... What about you?

A little suggestion: kids learn languages very fast, take the chance to expand yr childern's culture not hanging them out at english speaking ones only.

Ciao

Caro,

I do not hate "naviganti" I just don't like them:E no worries I do have lots of friends with 3 or 4 strips, but some just can't communicate with us without showing their disrespect. but that's a different story:bored:

I knew a couple of dispatchers in MXP, most of them were/are women;)
I have just sold my Ducati :{ :{ still can't belive it, reconditioned the whole thing two months ago :ugh: and now I have to leave "her" behind:{ :{ :{
I'm sure we can meet for a beer at some stage and talk about all this crap:} in detail.

ciao

mjv

toomuchradiations
25th Sep 2005, 13:30
WHAT'S THIS STORY ABOUT HATING OR DISLIKING OTHER COLLEAGUES???

we all work for the same aim: making air travel the safest form of transport and only narrow minded people would waste their time disliking other professionals who work in the same environment for the same aim.

none of these people would ever be welcome anywhere!change your attitude or change your job losers!

tmr

mjv
26th Sep 2005, 09:03
HI tmr,

I think you missed my ;) ;) :O , but if you can’t cope with the truth, you should work a month or so with me and you can see what we have to deal with :{ :ok: :D :D

one of the losers:ouch:

never mind

mjv

vipero
26th Sep 2005, 11:09
"we all work for the same aim: making air travel the safest form of transport and only narrow minded people would waste their time disliking other professionals who work in the same environment for the same aim."

tmr, remember me the above next time you'll be on strike because you don't like the beach of yr 5 star hotel...

vipero
27th Sep 2005, 09:42
Non credo sia invidia sai? semmai scoglionamento.
Mi sconforta dirlo, ma dopo quasi 15 anni di carriera conosco pochissimo personale di terra che non sia scoglionato come lo sono io...

Il guaio dei naviganti è che sono quasi totalmente scollegati dalla realtà, ma qui mi fermo, penso proprio che il gap sia incolmabile e nessuno ci smuoverebbe dalle nostre trincee.

Un giorno, forse nemmeno troppo lontano, la tecnologia livellerà gli impieghi allo standard "operatore di sistema"e vedrai che finalmente andrà tutto a posto.

V (dita a V, saluto tra motociclisti)

nibbio20
27th Sep 2005, 09:44
Sono i tipici commenti degli impiegatucci dell'ufficio operativo o dei tecnici che non capiscono perchè con una firma sola il comandante non gli accetta l'aereo....

vipero
27th Sep 2005, 10:08
io fare i una rivoluzione: via tutti gli "impiegatucci", i membri alati a farsi piani di volo, di carico, dispacciarsi l'aereo e migliorarsi gli slot da soli.

Forse forse così lo stipendio sarebbe giustificato :)

V

Svatt
27th Sep 2005, 11:16
Vipero, la tua proposta mi piace.. Parliamone....

Famo na bella cosa..Lo stipendio tuo è troppo basso il mio è troppo alto, il tuo stipendio rispecchia poco la realtà

Tu mangi seduto a tavola tutti i giorni, io mangio in volo con il vassoio sulle gambe.. 15 giorni 15 giorni io

Tu dormi tutti i giorni a casa tua, io tutti i giorni dormo in un albergo diverso talvolta di cacca.. 15 giorni tu, 15 giorni io

Tu non sei mai esposto a radiazioni che possono deteriorare il tuo stato, io tutti i giorni sono esposto a suddette radiazioni.. 15 giorni tu 15 giorni io

Tu lavori con le tue regali chiappe poggiate su di una comoda sedia al livello del mare, io a 39000ft.. 15 giorni tu, 15 giorni io

Tu i giorni delle Feste Comandate sei sempre a casa, io sono in giro per il mondo a spendere miliardi per fare gli auguri a tutti i miei cari, 15 giorni tu, 15 giorni io

Tu non fai nessuna visita medica, io ogni anno ne faccio una con lo stress dovuto alla rottura di palle che comporta.. 15 giorni tu, 15 giorni io

Tu nell'anno e nei sei mesi non fai nessun controllo addestrativo, io uno ogni 6 mesi nei quali ti fanno il culetto.. 15 giorni tu, 15 giorni io.

Ehm Vipero mi sono 1 pò rotto di scrivere, ma di cose ce ne sono miliardi ancora...
Questo per dirti che chiaccherate tanto, voi i tecnici e quanti altri.. ma nessuno di voi si è mai chiesto:" e se io facessi per soli 15 giorni quella vita come ne uscirei fuori?"
Ecco allora che dico prova a metterti nei panni di tutti i naviganti, Piloti e A/v a vedere che vita fanno e con tutto quello che ne comporta, e poi ne riparliamo

ricky-godf
27th Sep 2005, 11:59
Vipero,
se c'è un motivo per cui lavori per pochi soldi e fai la vitaccia è perchè ami gli aerei e l'aviazione...
e se c'è un motivo per il quale non sei anche tu seduto a FL390 è perchè non ce l'hai fatta.
Quindi vediamo di essere persone un pochetto più mature in questo forum invece odiare tutto e tutti senza saperne il perchè.
Saluti

vipero
27th Sep 2005, 12:46
ennòeh. Ditemi tutto ma non che non cell'ho fatta.
1mo: mai aspirato alla carriera pilotesca, sono nato cresciuto e pasciuto "de tèra" (fortunatamente).
2ndo: mai lamentato del mio stipendio, mi danno quello che chiedo.

Sapete, avete ragione voi. Anzi! Alla prossima agitazione del personale navigante mi aggrego anche io.

Che ingrati siamo, non so come fate a sopportarci...

Svatt
27th Sep 2005, 13:53
E fai bene a dire che a volte siete ingrati proprio perchè non sapete di cosa parlate. Ecco perchè ti dico prova per 15 giorni così poi ti spieghi il perchè si fanno gli scioperi ancor prima le agitazioni e il perchè si chiede sempre di più.

vipero
27th Sep 2005, 14:02
...non fare la vittima con me, nun ce provà. Incartace i passeggeri co 'sta storia ok?)

ragazzi, lo sappiamo tutti che fate sciopero per migliorare le condizioni di lavoro anche di noi poveri vermiciattoli terricoli, per permettere alle aziende di prosperare.

Farò una colletta tra i colleghi, in tutti i nostri uffici metteremo il busto del "pilota benefattore". Ogni volta ci genufletteremo e ringrazieremo sentitamente (ovviamente ci sarà abbondanza di ceci sparsi sull'inginocchiatoio, con la speranza che ciò possa, almeno in parte, compensare la cronica mancanza di radiazioni a livello suolo).

Ah... meno male ci siete voi...

toomuchradiations
27th Sep 2005, 14:51
VIPERO ma vatte a ripone,va'!

non capisco come il fatto che i piloti vengano pagati di piu' dei tecnici possa farti salire questa terribile invidia.
come ti e' stato menzionato il fare il pilota ha MOLTI piu' rischi a livello finanziario e personale di fare il tuo lavoro.....

inoltre per diventare pilota tutti noi abbiamo investito una somma di denaro molto piu' ingente della tua(ma molto di piu') con nessuna certezza di rifarcela.

lo sciopero e' un diritto del lavoratore....se "te brucia" il fatto che noi si sciopera con forse piu' frequenza di voi......ma sciopera anche te...ma chi te se 'nc..a!!!

P.S. a tutti gli altri tecnici, assistenti di volo, despatchers, refuel men, check in agents e voi tutti che lavorate in aeroporto GRAZIE di cuore per il lavoro che fate.....senza di voi l'aviazione civile non esisterebbe!...grazie e continuate il vostro ottimo lavoro!!...e soprattutto continuiamo a volesse bbene che e' alla fine cio' che piu' conta!

tmr

flyblue
27th Sep 2005, 17:39
Ma non era un thread su "move to MXP"???
Per favore basta con le polemiche, sicuramente Vipero non intendeva tutto quello di cui è stato accusato. In fondo i dispatchers sono " a pilot's best friend" ;)
Inoltre, iniziare una gara di ping pong di insulti non penso ci dirà niente che già non sappiamo, e cioé che ci sono grandi professionisti e grandi idioti in ogni professione.
Approfittiamo di questo spazio di discussione piuttosto per comprendere la cultura lavorativa dell'altro, aiuta sempre, sopratutto quando si lavora insieme :ok: