PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair or easyjet reactions

Laundryman
12th Sep 2005, 06:47
OK, so you've decided to go to sunny Spain and not being a "Laze on the beach type" are going to hire a light aircraft when you get there. So far so good.

You turn up at Luton/Stansted with your case and your hand luggage, case no problem then they want to check your hand luggage (pilot case containing, headset, GPS, VFR charts of Spain) are they going to allow you to take it aboard?

I remember an episode of "Airline" where the British sky diving team had some trouble when they all wanted to take their parachutes on board as hand luggage.

Maxflyer
12th Sep 2005, 08:01
As long as you are not trying to use your GPS whilst on the plane there should be no problem (I think!)

dublinpilot
12th Sep 2005, 08:43
I've used my gps on RyanAir. No one seems to care less.

One time I asked a air-hostess if it was permitted, and she had no idea what a gps was.

Final 3 Greens
12th Sep 2005, 09:07
The last time I asked an Irish hostie this question, I got a jump seat ride from BOS to DUB (pre 9/11) :D

Adrian N
12th Sep 2005, 09:22
No problem. The only difficulty I have had was with a lifejacket. It was identical to the ones under the seats on the 737, but the security people decided it was "dangerous goods".

Eventually solved when the supervisor wrote down my home address from my pilot's licence and allowed me to take it on board. :rolleyes:

Steevee
12th Sep 2005, 11:24
Don't know about Ryanair and Easyjet, but I have carried all my flying gear with me on transatlantic flights with American and United and no-one has ever said a thing about it.

mazzy1026
12th Sep 2005, 11:31
Had no probs carrying it with Air Malta :ok:

TangoZulu
12th Sep 2005, 12:21
Took my flying case as hand luggage on Thomas Cook when we went to France in March with no problems at all (headset, GPS, logbook et al). Did not even get opened at Gatwick or Lyon on return.

TZ

Genghis the Engineer
12th Sep 2005, 12:24
It's airport security, not the airline, who check your bags.

I've been through numerous airports with flight bags, and so long as I remember to remove the swiss army knife that lives in there, have never had a problem. The one time I forgot that thing, CSA helpfully put it in a jiffy bag, handed it to the crew, and told me to ask for it back at the other end.

G

Legalapproach
12th Sep 2005, 20:45
Once diverted into Rotterdam with an engine problem and then jumped on a scheduled flight back to London City. 3 pilots with three pilot bags GPS etc. Security refised to allow a pair of compass dividers on as hand baggage but otherwise OK.

On the subject of parachutes, I recently checked one into the hold and was summoned from the departure lounge to open up the carrying bag as the various bits of metal tubing had upset security when the bag was x-rayed.

stiknruda
12th Sep 2005, 22:45
An aerodrome in Ireland recently!

Three intrepid aviators filed a single flight plan and then walked out to their biplanes

Lead and #2 exitted the bldg, #3 was detained by security because he was wearing a knife in his flight suit. When he explained that he was the sole occupant/Captain of the aircraft, he was only allowed to proceed if Lead came back and got hime and verified that his single seat Pitts was his and that he couldn't damage the aircraft/other pax! #3 just also happens to be a high hour airline pilot, makes one giggle!!

Stik