PDA

View Full Version : DXB single runway operations

OmanAir
11th Sep 2005, 17:18
Dubai is pretty much down to single runway operations when rwy 30 is in use. We all know only 30R is available for landings, but at the moment 30L is only available for propeller aircraft as far as takeoffs are concerned.
It’s on the ATIS, but you will not find this info in the NOTAMs (why not?).

Thumbs up to DXB ATC for doing a very good job under the circumstances, but some fellow pilots need to check the definition of "immediate take off".

Reducing to taxi speed midway between two high speed turn offs is not very smart.

Not wishing to offend anybody, but ATC are running things very tight, and we all need to help out to make it work.

Alphaprot
11th Sep 2005, 18:25
ATC are running things very tight
Dubai ATC do not know the meaning of the word tight, its not their fault, they are overly constrained by the regulations and limitations applied by the GCAA. Compared with other major (single and multi runway) airports Dubai is very conservative in its separation requirements.

Yes we have to do our bit, but every time immediate and expedite is over-used, it degrades its meaning. Some controllers use it as a standard clearance, when there is no real requirement for the term.

OmanAir
11th Sep 2005, 22:39
I beg to differ.
They (App and Tower) did a job second to none the last time I went there.:ok:

Cleared Immediate takeoff is not subject to interpretation. Stopping your aircraft on the runway and spending 30 seconds before the wheels start turning is just plain stupid.

violate
12th Sep 2005, 12:50
I'm with AP on this one, Dubai ATC may have done a great job on your day, but they sure do overuse immediate and expedite.
Compare it with Gatwick and you will see that there is no need for this kind of terminology, especially considering how little hourly traffic Dubai moves in comparison.

mr solo
12th Sep 2005, 13:46
I agree, i am LHR based - if there is anywhere ATC do not want you to waste valuable runway utilisation time - it is there !

ATC at LHR only occasionally use the terms - immediate and expedite - considering the amount of traffic that flows in and out the airport on a daily basis - but when they do you know they mean it !