PDA

View Full Version : ATC changes at Luxembourg

planetdreamer
10th Sep 2005, 00:25
The last two occasions I have flown into Luxembourg, the quality of the approach radar service seemed to be getting worse. The tower guys always were unhelpful, but now.....so I asked in Luxair ops and they said that 6 new students would be trained up to replace the experienced UK and US radar controllers may be end of 2006. This was due to costs but also to keep the local unemployment figures down. There is something to be said for talking to Brits on the R/T when flying overseas, but when I hear they must go for the reasons above I sometimes worry about future performance and safety there. Has anybody noticed this at other foreign airports? By that I mean, lowering of standards because of the amount of inexperienced people.

Piltdown Man
10th Sep 2005, 09:01
The only thing that I have ever really noticed about ATCO's in LUX is the xenophobic preference they give to the local operator. Try and get in front of a LuxAir (in the air or ground) - impossible! Very similar to CGN and DUS.

Avman
10th Sep 2005, 12:17
You may be right, but I'm very surprised to hear that there are UK and US controllers at Luxembourg. As for what you term the "quality" of service, that may well be because trainees have to learn and perform by the book, at least until they validate and have gained more experience with time. Believe me, if all ATC units and ATCOs were to work 100% by the book nothing would move anymore! I don't think that "quality" is impaired, it's just that trainees may not be so "flexible" in their early training days. Give them time.

LearjetGA
10th Sep 2005, 14:00
Good Afternoon,

Since i operate alot in ELLX, here are my thoughts:

- the national airspace is very tiny, the controllers provide separation using vertical space instead of horizontal
- general aviation is very active in LUX, so it happens that you are vectored behind a single engine on the ILS
- if you come from the south (AKELU) be prepared to get only two vectors to final for runway 06 with a 120 degree interception course, i.e. you are flying on the heading of 300 and suddenly the controller makes you turn to heading 030 and clears you to intercept.
- as far as i am concerned, as non Luxair pilot, i must say that it is more on a first come first served base.
- there's no ground frequency!! Amazing!
- the visual approaches are granted only with a 6 miles final !!
- you can always ask for a standard instrument procedure (ILS and NDB available) and 99% of the time you get it.

Spitoon
10th Sep 2005, 18:38
Every controller that I've come across is like me - lazy.

Subject to the rules the only preference that I give the aircraft that i have at any time is the one that gets them off my frequency as quickly as possible!

Any appearance of bias is purely co-incidewntal I assure you.

Red Dragon
10th Sep 2005, 19:02
LearJet GA,

Being an ex Lux radar controller I'll try and answer a couple of those points:
One turn onto final for 06 I agree isn't ideal but as you say the airspace is very small. The boundary of the CTA is on a 10 mile final at both ends which makes things interesting when there are multiple inbounds at any given time. A single turn like that would normally be to get you in front of traffic after a tight downwind heading when a standard base leg isn't possible.
Visual approaches given not less than a 6 mile final for 06 would be for noise abatement as anything less than that would take you directly over the city centre at low level.

Hope that helps.

RD

PS...the local training program has produced some good young controllers, however it will be a shame to see Serco's contingent go.

Maurice Chavez
11th Sep 2005, 01:03
A few years back, we were coming into Burgerville from Italy. The ATIS had a ceiling of 150feet and RVR was reported to be 250Mtrs, hence reported. Aircaft we flew was Cat I and "D".After being handed off Findel (Burger approach), approach told us we were not allowed to shoot an approach, as weren't Cat II, instead to pick up the hold over DIK and to say intensions.

As to my understanding (I could be wrong and won't be affraid to admit it) you as PIC are allowed to shoot the approach as per your minima and at least to give it a try.

We never did query them, just buggerd off to alternate....

JustaFew
11th Sep 2005, 21:32
Does this mean Stu Little might return to blighty?

Razors Edge
12th Sep 2005, 07:47
I believe that ATC services are provided under contract at Luxembourg by Serco...is this going to turn into another 'crumbling empire' story?