PDA

View Full Version : Go around with TRA

Port Strobe
9th Sep 2005, 07:11
Something caught my attention when looking at an instrument approach plate this week. The example I give just now is particular to Dundee but I suppose it goes for anywhere that a similar situation could exist. If somebody has to go around from an ILS for runway 10, the missed approach procedure is to climb straight ahead (QFU095) to 2000' then turn left, back to the beacon to level at 3000' . Now there is a procedure in place for aircraft with poor climb performance that look likely to infringe the danger area lying 7nm to the East of the field. This involves turning right at 5d on the I-DDE onto track 130'M to 2000' then a right turn back to the beacon. This will mean turning into the RAF Leuchars MATZ and so there's a note on the plate about changing to Leuchars Approach when instructed. But the initial call to Dundee that you're following the alternative procedure need only be made when turning right to track 130'M. Now here comes the point.....
How does this procedure work, in light of the airshow this weekend, with temporary restricted airspace in place for either the show as a whole (which occupies the MATZ and a bit above) or better still the TRA for the Arrows' display which radiates out to 6nm from Leuchars. I haven't seen any instructions to deviate from this procedure so I was curious as to how this procedure fits in with the TRA, or perhaps the other way about since the airspace is of course only temporary!

Thanks for any replies

Pierre Argh
9th Sep 2005, 08:09
TRA = restricted NOT prohibited airspace, so at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, there should be procedures to allow penetration... afraid that all too often, particularly with Red Arrows involved, the assumption is that it is total prohibition as they get very pissy when told to "knock it off".

If you are in doubt about any temporary procedures a simple telephone call before departure should clarify... even if the information is carry 20mins extra holding fuel???

Spitoon
9th Sep 2005, 08:28
Having briefed yourself properly, if faced with such a situation use common sense. Using your example, whilst on the approach advise ATC 'in the event of a go-around I will need to use the alternative procedure'.

Giles Wembley-Hogg
9th Sep 2005, 10:08
Spitoon

I don't think that Port Strobe is asking what to do if he has to follow the alternative missed approach (which in Human Factors terms would be trapping or mitigating a problem), I think he is asking if the SATCOs/Ops people at Leuchars and Dundee have got their heads together and come up with a plan for this eventuality (avoiding the problem in HF terms).

I'm sure a quick method of establishing landline contact between the units has been set up and special procedures agreed for the air show.

G W-H

Port Strobe
10th Sep 2005, 20:54
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm asking from the ATCO point of view primarily, how would the controllers at Leuchars have liked an aircraft announcing they're bumbling into the restricted airspace whilst they're keeping an eye on 4 formations at once? If I was going to operate into Dundee today, yes I would have had the common sense to telephone the airport prior to departure to find out about any local procedures. I suppose the answer to my question is nothing changes from a flying POV, its between Dundee and Leuchars to sort the ATC side out behind the scenes. As for the Arrows being told to knock it off, I'd be pissed too if they had to stop what was a fantastic display of skill today for the sake of a light single entering the airspace, although its better than carrying on blindly I suppose. Great show to anyone reading that was involved!!

Thanks again for the replies.