PDA

View Full Version : flying into RAF airfields

gliderman69
8th Sep 2005, 06:49
Hi All

Has any one flown into a RAF airfield recently?

The thread on here that discussed it is from 2003 so just wondering if the process has changed, got more expensive etc.

I would like to fly into Marham since I have mate there, I'm ex RAF ground crew so understand how it all works so to speak.

But unsure if it's still allowed to fly in.

Cheers

Another St Ivian
8th Sep 2005, 09:01
The easiest thing to do would probably be to phone the SATCO and ask all your questions there. They're often a really helpful bunch.
I recently flew into RAF Wyton. Prior to doing so I phoned ATC and spoke to an extremely helpful lady there who both answered all my questions and took care of all the admin/paperwork trivia. It's not entirely straightforward but it's not too bad. The most ambiguous part in my experience was working out what I should be paying for the landing fee.

Anyway, best of luck with it!

ASI

P.S. If any of the Wyton Air Trafficers read this - many thanks to Heidi!

aluminium persuader
8th Sep 2005, 10:04
Don't phone the SATCO. It will only irritate him with something that is of little concern.

Phone OPS, PPR & book in, get briefed of anything relevant air-wise & don't forget to check availability of AVGAS if required and what sort of ID you need. You may need to provide a pax list too.
Insurance requirements are changing at present so I would ask OPS exactly what they need from you - you may need to provide them with a copy of your certificate before flying in.

ap

skydriller
8th Sep 2005, 11:10
Purely out of interest, can you land at an RAF airfield in a foriegn reg. aeroplane? Say, F or N? How would it work if allowed?

Regards, SD..

stiknruda
8th Sep 2005, 11:34
I was working Cottesmore a wee while back and ATC routed an Nreg PA31 into Wittering for the ILS.

Hope that answers your question.

I frequently pop into my local fighter base in the Pitts to visit a chum.

Stik

IO540
8th Sep 2005, 12:07
It seems to vary but I've been asked for 24hr PPR, plus a fax of the MOD insurance faxed 24hrs ahead too.

gliderman69
8th Sep 2005, 18:44
thanks for all the info people its well recieved!

:ok:

Pierre Argh
9th Sep 2005, 08:19
It seems to vary... because the rules have changed and then changed again. So call Ops for for latest information...

Regarding procedures there is a useful safety leaflet (SSL26)downloadable from the CAA website that explains what to expect...

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1476
have a good trip

Flik Roll
10th Sep 2005, 14:08
Don't forget your a/c needs crown indemnity to land at an RAF base