PDA

View Full Version : Can FAA PPL training hours count for JAA PPL?

fly mayday airlines
7th Sep 2005, 13:52
Can someone tell me please if FAA PPL training in USA can count towards a JAA PPL? and also can a FAA PPL licence be converted into a JAA PPL license.
Im deciding wether to go to Hawaii for some hours or perhaps do the complete course.(faa),or go to OFT in florida and do the JAA PPL.
:cool:

fly mayday airlines
14th Sep 2005, 23:50
I spoke to the CAA and they told me that ppl training hours in the US will only count towards the 45 hrs needed for JAA PPL if the flight school is CAA approved and that the intructor for the hours is a JAA instructor.So unfortunatly training hours in Hawaii will not count towards a JAA PPL.:{

BEagle
15th Sep 2005, 06:55
As usual, some functionary at the Belgrano is talking out of their ar$e and hasn't kept up with recent changes.... A point I will be taking up with a good chum who is a senior bloke in the CAA!

From LASORS 2005 Section C1.3 'Credits from Flying Training':

'Any previous flying experience in single
engine-piston (Land) aeroplanes gained during an
incomplete course of training towards an ICAO
PPL(A) may be counted towards the requirements
for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A). Applicants will
be required to obtain copies of their training
records from their training provider, together with
confirmation from them that the training completed
was towards the grant of an ICAO PPL(A).
Applicants will be required to attend a registered
facility or approved FTO and provide evidence of
their previous training to the Chief Flying
Instructor. The CFI will then establish a course of
training taking into account previous experience to
ensure that all the specific requirements of C1.2
have been met.'

So yes, you MAY count flying training in Hawaii towards a FAA licence towards a JAR-FCL PPL(A). If you finish the FAA PPL course and obtain your FAA PPL, you can use the privileges in the UK (under Day VFR conditions) without further formality. You can then, at a later date, 'convert' your FAA PPL into a JAR-FCL PPL(A) - it is best to wait until you have 100 hours as 'pilot of aeroplanes' before you do this as the requirements are then much simpler.

If you don't finish the FAA PPL course, you can count the hours you have achieved towards a JAR-FCL PPL(A), but you will need to have a minimum of 25 hours dual with a JAR-FCL instructor and 10 hours solo (including some specific requirements) under the supervision of a JAR-FCL instructor at a RF/FTO. So, if you did 20 hours between Mai Tais in Hawaii, you could count them but 10 would be 'wasted' for licence issue, as you need 45 hours for the JAR-FCL PPL(A), 35 of which have to be as I've explained. But all hours will count towards the 100 TT you should aim to achieve for licence conversion.

Mahalo - and if you go to Honolulu, try Moose McGillicuddy's!

fly mayday airlines
15th Sep 2005, 22:15
Thank you very very much Beagle.
Not only did i speak to the CAA but also to the CFI at a large aerodrome they both told me the same misinformation.(i.e. that no hours can be counted)
Today ,this same day but before i read your reply i bought a LASORS 2005.Although i dont think i would have found the relevant section you highlighted.
Infact beagle i would go further than you and say it allows me to carry over all my training up to 45 hours as long as i have 25 duel and 10 hours solo.But i need only under JAA to pass all the JAR PPL exams and skills test as well as complete a xcountry.

Any way i may well be wrong but that is my interpretation of what you have found.

LASORS 2005 "In addition to any additional training required (where there is a shortfall of requirements)"
This seems to suggest that i can carry over all 45 hours.However this seems to good to be true,so ill contact the CAA and the CFI tomorrow and i'll post their reply.
I can see Hawaii on the horizon but it may only be a mirage.
Once again Beagle thank you.

BEagle
16th Sep 2005, 06:39
It is indeed slightly vague! Whether the 'specific requirements' include 25 hrs dual and 10 solo at a JAA RF/FTO, or whether it is only the 'shortfall of requirements' which has to be conducted at the JAA RF/FTO is unclear.

However, if you come back from Hawaii with a FAA PPL and less than 100 hrs total time as pilot of aeroplanes, to convert to a JAR-FCL PPL(A) you will need to:

1. Hold a JAA Class 2 (or Class 1) medical certificate.

2. Pass ALL the JAR-FCL PPL(A) exams.

3. Have met the specific JAR-FCL 1.125B requirements (at least 25 hours dual instruction and at least 10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least five hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least one cross-country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.)

4. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL(A) Skill Test.

Mahalo!

fly mayday airlines
16th Sep 2005, 13:23
I spoke to the CAA again and quoted the section you mentioned Beagle .They say that i can only count 10 hours as you said.
When i pointed out that's not what lasors actually says they said it's not clearly written in lasors but that's what it means.
Ill probably go to OFT in Orlando in march instead as it's hardly worth going to Hawaii for 10 hours.

Tim_CPL
16th Sep 2005, 19:29
So can anyone comment on what a UK citizen with FAA PPL (SEL), IR, CPL and 270 hours would need to do to fly IFR in the UK, in g-registered plane? Also are the requirements for IFR different from VFR in a G-reg a/c? I don't want to get into the N-reg discussion here as this is a different can of worms.
FWIW I am in the US with a green card, where I have done all my flying...

Thanks

- Tim

BEagle
16th Sep 2005, 19:54
Under IFR or in IMC?

Private or commercial?

fly mayday airlines
17th Sep 2005, 08:27
Beagle,
It seems the CAA is wrong for the 2nd time.It does now seem that my interpretation of lasors is correct and that i can count ANY training hours from a ICAO private pilots course to training hours(i.e towards the 45 reqiured for the jaa ppl) to another private pilots course as long as it is also a ICAO state.
I'll have to get written confirmation of this from the CAA but i now hope to be flying to Hawaii to do 30 hours of training towards the FAA PPL then come back to the UK and complete the JAA PPL .
It's very frustrating that the CAA keep giving me wrong information and different wrong information to the same question,while assuring me that they have got it right.