View Full Version : transition US

alexban
6th Sep 2005, 19:30
Question for pilots flying in US:
you receive departure clearance,an SID to a point A ,from which you receive 'transition to route XX '.
Distance from A to route XX is about 60NM.
How are you supposed to join the route after passing point A?
Never flown in US,just been told today about some ATC differences over there,and also about the above ex.
Brgds Alex

Tinstaafl
6th Sep 2005, 21:02
My experience has been that a fix/waypoint on the intended route will be specified. I've lost count of the times I've been given '...direct abc fix/intersection, airway name eg V123)... etc'.

There are also transitions published although they seem to be used for leaving an airway to get to an IAF or as part of a STAR.

westhawk
7th Sep 2005, 09:23
alexban,

Here's the short version of how it works. A SID or DP is simply a coded departure route to get you from the departure runway to a fix some distance away in the aproximate direction you wish to go. Upon reaching this transition fix, (think of it as a place to exit the procedure) you can then proceed along your desired/filed route. Like STARS, they are designed as part of an overall plan to move traffic to and from busy airports in as efficient manner as possible considering many factors including terrain and traffic to/from other airports. Some procedures are RNAV only and may require RNP-2 rated NAV gear.

Lets say for example I am filing a flight plan from Dallas, TX (KDAL) to Van Nuys, CA. (KVNY) Looking at my planning chart, I decide the best route today will be via CNX-DRK-HEC-PMD and the LYNXX7 arrival. Looking at the SIDs (DPs) out of KDAL, I note that the WORTH4 departure has several transitions available. One of them happens to be CNX (a fix I want to cross anyway in order to miss restricted airspace) which is about 400nm W of KDAL. So now I will log into DUATS or call FSS and file this route from KDAL-KVNY. WORTH4.CNX-DRK-HEC-PMD.LYNXX7. Provide this route to the FO and it will be entered in the box and stored as soon as the clearance is received from ATC. Now all we need is PAX and we can do what we do.

Here is a link to the KDAL procedures from NACO.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp_search.asp?ver=0509&eff=9-1-2005&end=9-29-2005&st=TX&fullName=Texas&fldCity=&fldAPName=DALLAS-LOVE%20FIELD&fldVol=&fldCodeA=&fldCodeC=&fldCodeD=&fldIdent=&fld_ident_type=FAA&fldCodeShowAllState=&fldShowADOnly=&page=2

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Westhawk

alexban
8th Sep 2005, 07:28
westhawk

so,when you receive your clearance will specify ...WORTH4 departure, then transition ROUTE nr XXX? or transition DRK-HEC-....
In the example I was told about the clearance gave the SID then transition to Route XX ,which was some 60 NM from the last point on SID. Their problem was how to join the route :
by going to the nearest point on the route,or by entering the route on the shortest way (perpendicular)?
I your ex ,maybe there is another point closer to CNX than DRK ,on that route?
In Europe,when you fill a fpl,you'll say the route nr ,for ex airport-SID-route....(UL507-UL 612-.....) .You won't normaly specify only waypoints.

westhawk
8th Sep 2005, 13:32
alexban,

You may file waypoint to waypoint or you may file an airways route in the US. If so equipped, RNAV routes are becoming more available too. The transition fix would ideally be a fix on the airway if filing airways. Or you may file from that fix direct to a fix to join the airway. Hope this helps.

Best,

Westhawk