PDA

View Full Version : Who to talk to over the Irish Sea

Romeo Romeo
6th Sep 2005, 15:01
I went over to Ireland the other weekend and had a great time. The trip there was pretty easy; I called Dublin Approach just as I left Holyhead and so I had radio and (I think) radar contact for the whole sea crossing. However, on the way back, Dublin ATC (who in my opinion are excellent) want to hand you over to someone at the FIR boundary. London Information was suggested, but the coverage is not good out there and also they are usually very busy and have no radar, so if it all became quiet up front they wouldn't be my first choice. In the end I stayed with Dublin for nearly all the crossing.

I don't like being over a large stretch of water without being in contact with someone. Who do other people talk to? What is the D+D coverage like round there and are they an option?

dublinpilot
6th Sep 2005, 16:26
RR,

Yes, Dublin always try to get rid of you at the FIR boundary.

Did they also try to get you to the FIR boundary not above 1500ft???

Anyway, they usually try to give you to London Info on 124.75, which is pretty much non-reachable between Dublin & Holyhead. However if you try London Info on 125.475 you will usually get a much better signal.

Yes you are correct that they have no Radar.

If during the week, then I'd suggest Valley Radar, or if at weekends, Liverpool App although it will largely depend on your altitude, as to whether you can reach them or not.

Incidentally, if you are going from the UK to Dublin, Dublin seem to have no problem whatsoever with you calling them up, even when you are well within UK airspace.

dp

Brooklands
6th Sep 2005, 17:08
RR,

There was a thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176998&highlight=london) on this in the ATC forum a couple of months ago.

Brooklands

nouseforaname
6th Sep 2005, 19:58
RR

I do this trip frequently. If you are airways then don't worry because you will have a radar handover but both Shannon and Dublin will be able to see you on radar at both Strumble/Hollyhead respectively.

Whenever i go outside the airway I call Shannon on the other box at strumble because I know that they can see you on radar. All obviously depending on your level but the lowest i ever went was Fl40 and they had a 'solid return'.

Both Shannon and Dublin give a great service.

Don't know if you got to do it but if you are going to Weston, Dublin often let you route the Liffy river VFR at not above 1500ft NH which is cool

aerobatic_dude
6th Sep 2005, 21:17
We normally just go Shannon/London/ and so on, never had any coverage problem's ( even down at 1200ft once :eek: )

unfazed
7th Sep 2005, 16:50
I was flying in a group of five aircraft last August Bank Holiday and none of our fleet was able to make contact with London Info, Dublin were great but after making no contact and then going back to Dublin we were then out of range so radio silence prevailed until we coasted in and switched to a local airfield. Not great having no radar service from mid-Irish sea in very "gold fish bowl" conditions. Was advised by local pilots that it is normal not to get a response / service from London info in these parts and even if you do it is not a radar service.

I wonder if AAIB will be investigating this as part of the earlier forum regarding loss of life over the Irish Sea a few days later ?