PDA

View Full Version : Where can I try headsets?

BroomstickPilot
3rd Sep 2005, 13:34
I am thinking of spending a lot of shekels on a new ANR headset, and would like to hear what it can deliver before shelling out.

Does anybody know anywhere in the South of England where one can try different headsets, in simulated practical conditions, and compare them?

I know a lot of places where you can try them on for comfort, but none where you can plug into either, a radio tuned to an aeronautical frequency, or into some kind of R/T traffic simulator.

Can anybody please advise?

Broomstick.

IO540
3rd Sep 2005, 18:15
Years ago, Headset Services at Shoreham had a ghetto blaster with aircraft sounds which enabled a sort of comparison.

Quite revealing. Most headsets were awful compared to the two top models: David Clark (£550 at the time) and the Bose-X (£800 at the time). The D-C had a much higher earcup pressure of the two.

18greens
3rd Sep 2005, 22:10
Hi,

Trying headsets is a tough job.

You can't really tell what works until you put them in your plane and fly with them.

A ghetto blaster gives out some sound but not the rumble that a plane gives. The best thing about ANR is how clear ATC becomes and how low you can turn the volume as a consequence and therefore how much less sound hits your ears.

Plenty of Prooners have ANR headsets and they all love flying. Invite them down to your field for a free trip, make sure you get a DC, Bose and whatever else, go flying and try them all out.

Alternatively DC and Bose offer 30 day money back guarantees. Buy both and send back the on you don't want.

I must admit that having bought the dcs I now wish Ihad the bose. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Blinkz
3rd Sep 2005, 23:56
Good idea from 18greens. I've got the bose-x and would happy to let you try em out in exchange for a flight. Where you fly from? I'm just next door in hampshire. PM me.

BroomstickPilot
5th Sep 2005, 10:11
Thanks, Guys,

I think I'll follow 18Greens' suggestion:-

"DC and Bose offer 30 day money back guarantees. Buy both and send back the one you don't want".

Many thanks to one and all.

Broomstick.