PDA

View Full Version : Free landing fees

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Sep 2005, 19:01
Some of the "free landing fee" vouchers printed in the comics are for large airfields that probably won't miss the money. But others appear to be from small GA fields of, surely, marginal financial viability - when I turn up at one of these I sometimes get the impression that they need the £7.50 more than I do so I just pay anyway.

So, let's hear from some airfield operators:

(1) Why do you join in these voucher schemes?
(2) If you reckon they make money, how so, and are you sure?
(3) If you reckon they lose money, can you afford it?

DubTrub
2nd Sep 2005, 23:40
We don't get asked. We are a "medium-sized" airfield. Every year we get "added" during one given month by one or other of the common magazines.

We don't mind so much, because we get some fuel sales, some food sales, some PR. But we don't seem to be consulted on the matter.

Anyone else?

DBChopper
3rd Sep 2005, 07:56
Gertrude,

I'm with you - when the only saving is a couple of quid at a lovely grass field I tend to pay on the grounds that when paying £180 or so per hour to fly there, denying them a fiver to land seems a tad stingy!

DubTrub,

Perhaps I'm being naiive, but I'm amazed the magazines would publish free vouchers without even consulting you! Is this the norm?

DBChopper
:confused:

IanSeager
3rd Sep 2005, 17:36
We don't get asked. We are a "medium-sized" airfield. Every year we get "added" during one given month by one or other of the common magazines.

For the record, we (Flyer) always ask and would never run a free landing fee voucher without permission. If anyone thinks that this has happened please contact me.

Thanks

Ian

B2N2
4th Sep 2005, 20:22
Voucha, voucha..we don nee no stinkin' voucha (insert movie accent):cool:
No landing fees where I live...:ok:

Kolibear
5th Sep 2005, 07:13
I've never had a chance to use them, I always seem to visit either the month before or the month after they are published.

Now if they offered 'Free tea & bacon sarny" vouchers.. :ok: