PDA

View Full Version : WJA vs. HMY

SAW
1st Sep 2005, 23:55
Heres the situation. I work for one and have been and have been offered an interview with the other. Which one would you choose and why. Looking for any and all opinions.

Cheers

meaw
2nd Sep 2005, 00:19
What does each one pay you, what is the time to upgrade, will you be based where you want to live?

SAW
2nd Sep 2005, 00:29
Both have bases that are acceptable and at my current rate of pay the salaries are the same. As for time to upgrade about 2-3 yrs at WJA and HMY I am unsure.

meaw
2nd Sep 2005, 00:46
I guess to me it seems like a sideways move from what I know of each airline.

If you are happy where you are I think I would stay put as sideways moves usually just take away some of your seniority.

If I was really forced to choose one or the other I think I would take my chances with WJA, but then again I really dont know much about Harmony.

toast.ca
2nd Sep 2005, 02:10
It depends,

Are you senior to me? It seems obvious who you work for as one of the airlines isn't interviewing right now.

Tough call, one has a proven history, good business plan, established routes and market share, public financial information, and a motivated work force. The other is a dark horse whose owner has deep pockets, but an unknown will to continue operating an airline.

Good luck whatever you decide.

SAW
2nd Sep 2005, 02:32
Yes Toast its WJA that I'm with. 17 months. Yep HMY is a dark horse thats for sure. Thanks for your input though,it is a really tough call and needs alot of thought. More so now in light of all events ie high fuel that could possibly trigger another recession and really effect the charter/holiday travellers.

six7driver
3rd Sep 2005, 17:04
Just because you got an interview doesn't mean you have the job, plenty of great candidates being interviewed lately. Harmony is a great company to work for, if you were lucky enough to get on with us, the move would not be sideways, but way way up. Few days ago pushed back from gate only to have WJA 737-7 who was told to wait, push back after us and block my path then only partially move out so we could taxi out. That kind of attitude may not be that of all WJA pilots, but it's indicative of a corporate culture that fosters a scary kind of zealous selfish behaviour. The difference between our companies are their corporate cultures, at Harmony life is not a company, and our future maybe uncertain to those who do not work here, but at least we are engaged with our managment trying to better our company, and not just following zelous corporate ambitions like a heard of lemmings. (you know those animals that run in huge packs together until they fall off a cliff :D )

WJman
4th Sep 2005, 01:32
Practice what you preach my friend, who is doing the attacking here.
I doubt a pushback situation is a good way to judge a whole group of peoples attitudes. I will say that most WJ'ers are very loyal and a handful are loyal to a fault.
It can can be overdone but having seen and worked with the alternative I think this is way better.
I think both places are good and if you are entertaining the thought then try your hand, the grass is always greener is the saying and from lot's of experience that grass seems to always stay pretty much the same, what's the other one better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Good luck.

toast.ca
5th Sep 2005, 01:42
Right on SAW, I hear what you're saying and believe you me I've thought about the upcoming charter season vs the price of fuel. I think it would hurt Harmony more than us though as we have an established domestic network. Harmony relies heavily on flying to Sun spots like Hawaii, Vegas and LA with a trickle of flights to Toronto. Our network is better suited to the business traveller who let's face it are our bread and butter.

Harmony guys, I'M not trying to bash you as I know 2 who have left WJ and are great guys who I don't judge for leaving. SAW wanted opinions so that's mine. Oh yeah and just because he's soliciting opinions doesn't mean he's assuming he's hired, I think he's just being smart and thinking ahead.

Either way, good luck to all of us in Canadian aviation, most of us line pilots are tarred with the same brush it's the executives and their decisions I worry about. There's enough room for the current players but it's gonna be a bumpy ride the next few years.

If we one of our guys blocked your gate allow me to apologize for such childish behaviour on behalf of all WJ pilots, as like in any organization there are a few rotten apples, I'm sure you have your share at HMY.

Good Luck SAW

SAW
5th Sep 2005, 20:19
Staying put for now. Thanks for the input. 76driver sorry to hear about the ignorance that occured theres no excuse for that behaviour.

extreme P
7th Sep 2005, 15:14
... I hear what you're saying and believe you me I've thought about the upcoming charter season vs the price of fuel. I think it would hurt Harmony more than us though as we have an established domestic network. Harmony relies heavily on flying to Sun spots like Hawaii, Vegas and LA with a trickle of flights to Toronto. Our network is better suited to the business traveller who let's face it are our bread and butter.

Just a few questions/comments...

How does your "established domestic network" affect the price of fuel? If the domestic market is going to be a saving grace why pursue ETOPS to "foreign" markets?

Hawaii is a sun spot; Vegas is a gambling destination that happens to be in the sun.

You have not seen an HMY airplane in LA for over a year but you will see HMY airplanes in Palm Springs again this winter.

The "trickle" of flights to YYZ is daily; double daily in the summer.

Business travellers are your bread and butter?

ea306
10th Sep 2005, 02:46
Well... well well.

I guess that means I went to the dark side. (I hope it is not wrong to be enjoying it as much as I do!) All I can say is that I am enjoying myself. Love the flying. Enjoy a schedule that keeps me home more than when I was at the teal side...and a bit more than my wife would prefer at times. How long it will last? I really hope a very very long time.

I will say in defense of my Teal friends that blocking a competitor on the ramp is not the kind of thing I would expect of most guys I ever worked with while I was over there. And awe yes... there are a handful of zealotes that see things from their own perspective that is not the prespective of all in the industry.... but I would imagine as Harmony grows there might be the odd one that gets in through the cracks.... however for now it is a pretty small shop.

The vision for this company is not to be anything that WestJet is. That is not a negative comment against WestJet either... Harmony has a different vision... and different goals. You will have to search for yourself as to what it is you would like to get out of this life and how your job fits in with your life's goals and just go from there.

As for a lateral move... well please don't do that. If you see it as a great stepping stone... well that is your business... however I am hoping that Harmony will not be a stepping stone or a turnstile point... but rather a great place to be long term. Time will tell on that one.

Either way....see you at the beach in Waikiki!

toast.ca
28th Sep 2005, 04:55
Sorry, Haven't been on the forum for awhile.

ExtremeP, it seems you got your back up for some reason. here's my reasoning......

SAW mentioned he was concerned that the high price of fuel would affect WJA's charter flying, as people tighten their belts while sitting at the pump paying 1$ a litre and opening their home heating bill. Luckily old Ralph has come to the rescue here in Alberta but the rest of the country is SOL, sure glad I'm not out east anymore with an oil fired furnace !!
I had surmised that such a reduction in demand for sunny holidays, if it indeed does come to that, would affect HMY more than WestJet because besides charters we have an extablished domestic network which generates revenue! HMY does not. Also our charter flying is less risky as the planes are basically wet leased and the contract includes a buffer for spiked in fuel prices. Who sells the seats on HMY's flights to LAS, PSP, HNL etc? HMY? Travel Agents? Where's the risk?

Pretty simple really, I'm no expert maybe our domestic network will turn out to be our achilles heel. I honestly hope we all prosper, keep flying and making money. I personally wouldn't leave WJA at this point in time, for AC, HMY, or Canjet. Which I think was the original question.

Anyway I think this thread is dead, buddy found his answer...........

brucelee
28th Sep 2005, 23:00
Zoom going to Hawaii. So much for WJET'S new adventure. Sorry Clive, it really is a nasty world out there.

extreme P
29th Sep 2005, 14:58
...I'm no expert...

At least you got one part right.