PDA

View Full Version : Microlight Instructor??

dazza541
1st Sep 2005, 15:22
Can someone please tell me whats required licence wise to be able to instruct on fixed wing microlights such as the CT and Texan etc

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2005, 15:28
Either:-

(a) Class 1 medical + CPL + FI + valid microlight rating.

or

(b) NPPL Medical + PPL + FI(microlights)

The Texan isn't currently approved in the UK by the way, but the CT is.

The syllabus for the NPPL(M) is online at http://www.nppl.uk.com/

More on the microlight instructor qualification here (http://www.bmaa.org/FAQ.asp?FAQID=2&FAQName=New+to+the+sport%3F&FAQEntryID=4)

G

dazza541
1st Sep 2005, 16:38
So would that be NPPL or JAR PPL+ FI and NPPL medical,

Thanks by the way

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2005, 17:17
There you've got me, best bet would be to ring the BMAA on 01869-338888 or Email them on [email protected]

G

dazza541
1st Sep 2005, 20:41
Could you furnish me with contact details for aussie Mike ??

Cheers

Dazza

bar shaker
1st Sep 2005, 21:12
You can be an instructor with an NPPL and medical, although the ANO doesn't allow it. No CPL is required, nor is a JAR of any sort. You will just get a letter from the CAA saying that they won't prosecute you for aerial work in a microlight.

This is because of crap drafting of the NPPL and a lack of realisation that every new microlight pilot has no option but to do NPPL. The latest revision of the ANO (out a couple of weeks ago) has not corrected this gaping legal hole.

Best to call the CAA and speak to them direct.

Apparently they will write to you to say that they won't prosecute you. How this would hold up in the event of an accident is open to debate. In most criminal cases, it is the CPS that prosecute people and they may want to consider the matter further.

The sooner people at Gatwick sort this diabolical situation out, the better.

Oh... you need 100 hours too.

<<edit: Removed a personal name. Not allowed without the individuals permission.>>

dazza541
1st Sep 2005, 21:48
Thanks Bar Shaker, That makes it a lot clearer. How often is the ANO updated, Is it a yearly thing or just when the powers that be see fit?