PDA

View Full Version : MTCD in operational use anywhere?

greek-freak
1st Sep 2005, 09:10
Hi guys,

I am just a computer scientist but used to work on MTCD (Medium Term Conflict Detection)-based controller tools a couple of years ago.

My question is if you know of/work at any ACC where MTCD is already in operational use and what your experiences are (I know about the problems associated with trajectory prediction).
Do you happen to know if and where it might be introduced in the near future?

Just curious, thanks.

BDiONU
1st Sep 2005, 12:28
Developing it for introduction at the London Area Control Centre, hopefully for introduction around Spring 2008.

BD

songbird29
1st Sep 2005, 20:21
MTCD is a generic term for ATC automatic conflict detection about 10 minutes flying ahead, based on flight data processing and its trajectory prediction.

Operationally used applications:

- at Amsterdam ACC under the name Area COnflict Detection (ACOD), where a predecessor of the current system has been working for decades

- in several Centres in the United States under the name User Request Evaluation Tool (URET). URET is also appreciated as a paperstrip replacement system. First experience in Indianapolis some ten years ago and gradually expanded to more centres.

- at the ACC of Riga in Latvia.

Eurocontrol has produced generic specifications and exercised a number of successfull trials in Malmo Sweden, Roma and Maastricht UAC. They assist European ATC units willing to introduce MTCD.

The major challenge is the ability of the Flight Data Processing System to correctly predict the future trajectory of the aircraft. The best results are achieved when controllers keep the FDP system updated. Of course the FDP must be capable of coping correctly with the controller inputs and have an intuitive presentation not requiring extensive study.

Generally, an MTCD is hardly compatible with a paperstrip system. When the FDP system is not kept updated electronically, the MTCD produces too many erroneous signals, annoying the controller who will give up using it - rubbish in/rubbish out. Controllers have no time to make inputs twice, written on the paperstrip and on the electronics. But when electronic systems have a history of failures controllers will prefer sticking to their paperstrips. A bit of catch22 which explains the hardship to introduce MTCD.

Hope this helps. Any progress in Greece?

A I
1st Sep 2005, 20:28
Songbird,

I have to agree that MTCD based on FDP is of limited value. The Holy Grail in this field is MTCD based on FDP but enhanced with radar data processing (or similar) and further enhanced with tactical instructions input by the controller. Eventually datalink (Mode S or similar) will further enhance the process. What the UK is doing in 2008 is introducing a system at LACC (Swanwick) which will do the first bits without the datalink enhancement.

I too would be interested to know where MTCD with RDP input is being used operationally.

A I

greek-freak
2nd Sep 2005, 08:53
Thanks for the informative replies :ok:

Would you happen to have any links on those systems BDiONU & songbird29?

In what concerns the situation in Greece at present I can't really tell, the last time I visited Athens ACC was in September 1998 when the new ATC system had only recently been introduced.

I spent a shift with a very nice ATCO working on the NW (KOR-KRK) and S sectors (Milos-Heraklion) just sitting next to him and looking at the radar screen and discussing traffic since it was not too busy. That was really a very nice evening :-)

At that time the displays were very similar to what I had seen in the Eurocontrol simulator facility at Bretigny, no paper strips and silent coordination, there was no MTCD at that time however. An incredible contrast to the old ACC facilities which applied procedural en-route control until the mid-90ies.

VectorLine
2nd Sep 2005, 10:37
Developing it for introduction at the London Area Control
Centre, hopefully for introduction around Spring 2008 ..............
.......where it will be User Requested Interrogation of Near Events.
:E

Lon More
2nd Sep 2005, 10:42
Try a google/yahoo search on "Eurocontrol MTCD"

Maastricht UAC had planned to introduce this with the New ODS package about 4 years ago. Too many variables meant it was shelved although the extrapolated flight plan feature has been available for many years ( This shows the estimated progress of a flight through the system based on flight plan data, updated from present position and can be used to determine approximate separation.

BDiONU
2nd Sep 2005, 11:44
Actually its a part of iFACTS ;)

NAS and the LACC system already uses RDP tracking to update the FDP timings etc. One of the most needed features though is a modern Trajectory Prediction tool. This is being developed and will have vastly more accurate aircraft performance data which it'll tie into the filed flight plan plus much more accurate met data. The iFACTS system will mean moving onto a paperless system which removes the problems which songbird 29 mentioned.

greek-freak try http://www.airport-int.com/article.asp?pubID=14&catID=1239&artID=2648

Cheers
BD