PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Germany

november.sierra
31st Aug 2005, 21:17
Having just moved to Germany, I have begun my PPL course there. Generally, things are going well and I was lucky to have found a school where I can complete all training in English. Slowly I'm getting used to the German way of doing things anyway...

The question I have is regarding the theory exam. It can be taken in English, but the content will most probably be focusing on Germany. I have a copy of the PPL confuser (using the UK), so does anyone know whether the confuser questions will also be used in Germany?

Technically, they should be taken from the JAA database and as such, should be as per the confuser (I'm just guessing), so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate a reply.

Radar
31st Aug 2005, 21:26
november.sierra,

I don't know about Germany but let's face it, the theory is the same regardless of where you learn to fly. In June, a colleague of mine, who happens to be Hungarian, took his PPL writtens in Belgium (Flemish). He attended lectures which were given in Flemish, used their study material, also in Flemish, backed up by the Trevor Thom series and the PPL confuser. He passed all exams first time.

You may not have access to the exact line of questioning but a sound theoretical base will stand to you regardless of where you acquire it, or who's asking the questions.

BTW, where in Germany are you flying? Best of luck with the exams!

november.sierra
1st Sep 2005, 06:07
I'm in Egelsbach - just outside Frankfurt - ,a very professional bunch.

ozplane
1st Sep 2005, 11:24
Lucky guy. Egelsbach is a super GA airfield and is my wife's definition of what light aircraft flying is all about. A good cafe/bar with a nice patio, easy to get to and loads of parking. The whole atmosphere is very "buzzy". Which company are you training with?

november.sierra
1st Sep 2005, 12:01
I'm with Motorflugschule Egelsbach.

ozplane
1st Sep 2005, 16:26
I did my qualifying X-country with them and then when I eventually manged to convert my UK licence I flew with AFC Flugschule. They were a very nice bunch and never took the mickey out of my very "average" German language skills. Are they still there?

november.sierra
1st Sep 2005, 20:58
I don't know about AFC, but likewise the people at Motorflugschule are spot on, my German is well below average and hasn't caused any trouble so far. Who did you have the pleasure of flying with instructor wise there?

WestWind1950
2nd Sep 2005, 05:54
AFC is now Panoramaflug... change of owners about 2 years ago but some of the same people.

Westy

ozplane
2nd Sep 2005, 09:56
A quick look at the logbook shows my X-country being signed off by Flight Instructor Rethorn. We did Egelsbach-Saarbrucken-Bad Durkheim and I well remember having my leg pulled because I refused a beer and a slice of pizza at the Fly-In that was going on at Bad Durkheim. Something about not drinking within 8 feet of the aircraft!! My favourite evening bimble was down the Rhine to Heidelberg and back. Is that still do-able?

november.sierra
3rd Sep 2005, 11:13
I don't know about that particular routing. I've recently done Egelsbach-Worms and Egelsbach-Walldurn-Karlsruhe Baden, as xc flights. I'm afraid the instructor's name doesn't ring any bells.