View Full Version : Difference between P1 and Captain hours?

Blue system
31st Aug 2005, 15:55
Hi. Anyone know the diffrence between P1 and Captain hours?

Regards,

Blue sys.

DB6
31st Aug 2005, 19:00
As P1 you are the pilot in command, whereas as captain you may not actually be flying at all e.g. heavy military aircraft where the aircraft commander may be someone other than the pilots. In the civilian world P1 = captain. That's my guess anyway :D .

Blue system
1st Sep 2005, 05:38
Thanks.

I just now filling in a BA application where you should state P1,P2 and Captain hours etc...

Anyone else who have a take on this?

Regards,

Blue sys.

anartificialhorizon
1st Sep 2005, 07:02
I may be miles off here but my understanding is that P1 time is as the sole manipulator of the controls ie single pilot or commander of a single pilot aeroplane etc and although similar Captain's time is as above but in a Multi Crew A/C.........ie airliner

Hope that helps.............?

Seat1APlease
1st Sep 2005, 07:40
I suspect they are referring to p1u/s hours . i.e. handling hours "in command"but in the right hand seat. In the context of a BA application that would seem a possibility. My only other thought is could it be a military disinction?

beamer
1st Sep 2005, 08:33
Captain time refers to who is in command of the aircraft - if its single pilot its self-explanatory. If its multi-pilot you must have by definition a Captain and a co-pilot. The Captain logs his time as Captain regardless of whether he is the handling pilot - the co-pilot logs P1 if handling and P2 if non-handling pilot, he does NOT log Captain when P1 !

Life becomes a little more vague when two Captains are flying together as occurs more frequently these days - technically only one can log Captain but I guess more often than not both actuallly do - in reality not a problem as both have already achieved Command status.

Some military operators have utilised a system where an Aircraft Commander could be nominated to control the tactical operation of the aircraft whereas an aircraft Captain would also be selected to have overall responsibility for the physical control of the aircraft - I believe the RAF utilised this system on their maritime fleet.

Captain Airclues
1st Sep 2005, 15:15
"The two First Officers will be logging P1U/S and P2 during this time."

The F/O who is relieving the captain can log P1, not P1U/S, for all the time that he occupies a pilot's seat. Therefore you can have two people logging P1 time on the same aircraft (the captain in the bunk and the F/O). Ref LASORS Section A. Appendix B. Page 39.

Airclues

Blue system
1st Sep 2005, 16:17
So if I am at the controls from takeoff to landing in a multipilot aircraft as a F/O in the right hand seat I should log the time as P2. And the same if I not at the controls. Have I got it right then?

Blue sys.

Seat1APlease
1st Sep 2005, 18:05
No sorry but that is the wrong way round.
In the UK if you are a F/O and you fly the take off and landing in the right hand seat and take the decisions then that is P1U/S (P1 under supervision) or sometimes called PICUS (pilot in command under supervision). If you act as co-pilot then that is logged as P2.

The whole process becomes more complicated when you have heavy crew and rest periods etc. but that is the basic case. However that was the situation under the CAA rules. If you are talking about Swedish rules or JAA or a local interpretation of JAA then thats anybody's guess. not to mention whenyou have having logged your earlier years under one system then later ones under a different regime.

Blue system
1st Sep 2005, 19:43
Ok!

Thanks, I think I got the picture.

Blue sys.

Pilot Pete
2nd Sep 2005, 10:14
OK

So what do BA F/Os log if they fly the T/O and landing, but the captain flys the bit in between (isn't this how they do it in BA?):ugh:

Are they P1U/S for about 20 mins and P2 for the rest? Or is it considered 'their' sector so they log P1U/S for the whole thing even though they were NHP for the middle bit!!!!

PP

RMC
10th Sep 2005, 12:48
Blue System,

As the BA application form requests Captian hours, P1 and P2 hours they must be asking for three different figures.

if you are an f/o just sending them your total time in the P2 column is not what they are looking for.

They will want to see your handling time under P1 (even though it should say P1u/s) and non handling in the P2 column. I would make a note at the bottom of the P1 column to be on the safe side.

boeingbus2002
12th Sep 2005, 11:03
How about another twist?!!

What should low hours guys do when filling out forms?
P1/PIC is obvious. But some then have a First Officer column or P2. Would it be wise to include DUAL (under instruction) hours here?

Bealzebub
12th Sep 2005, 13:01
No. "dual" or "instruction" is not P2. The latter is a co-pilot operating under the command of another individual in an aircraft or within an operation that actually requires 2 pilots.

"Dual" is a person operating under the instruction of a commander in an aircraft for the purpose of recognized training in an aircraft that may or may not require 2 pilots.

dropshort105
13th Sep 2005, 08:55
Maybe they mean P1(s) i.e. under supervision, as under flight test situation where you are P1 but your examiner is captain. B.A. also do things very R.A.F.y, if you ask the military chaps the will probably be able to give you a definate answer.