PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Katana

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2005, 11:50
I'm just looking idly at the details of a Diamond Katana syndicate which looks interesting.

But, can anybody give me any indication of real-world payload, range and fuel burn on the type? Also, would I be right in thinking that it's approved for day-VFR use only, regardless of instrument fit?

G

Papa Charlie
31st Aug 2005, 13:34
Genghis,
Cubair, based at Redhill, have been operating 2 of them since 1999 for training and hire so would have amassed loads of data.
The chap you want to speak to is Daryl Taplin who owns the club (and also services the Katanas). All the contact info here (http://www.cubair.demon.co.uk/)

:)

Rod1
31st Aug 2005, 15:16
It is VFR only

If it is a Rotax / MT one, you will use about 18lph and do about 100kn. It is 12 months since I last flew one, so the W&B is a bit too hazy.

Rod1

conor_mc
31st Aug 2005, 16:20
The Katana I flew, with the Rotax engine, had a payload of 590lbs or so, if I remember correctly.

DB6
31st Aug 2005, 19:30
Yup, day VFR only due to single instrument power source (electric). Otherwise very similar to a C152: if you fill it up and put 2 real world blokes in you will be over the limit but it will fly just fine (so I'm told of course). The big difference is in fuel burn/endurance figures which compare very favourably (approx 3:2 with C152 if that makes sense). Don't think the Rotax likes working too hard though (i.e flying club environment), however visibility is peerless, it has a stick and it's more comfortable than a Cessna. Not aerobatic though, in this country anyway. Of the two I'd choose the Katana.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2005, 19:33
Shame, it seems a nice machine and I'd personally rather fly behind a Rotax than a Lycontinental, but I can't live with the day/VFR restriction.

I believe, BTW, that this is probably because the aeroplane is certified to JAR-VLA (which is a day-VFR standard for non-aerobatic single and 2-seaters), rather than JAR-23 (which is for more complex aeroplanes) and covers rather more than just simplex avionics. But, I wasn't able to check that (the type certificate isn't on UK-CAA's website for some reason), hence asking the question.

G

B2N2
31st Aug 2005, 23:43
FWIW, I have one hr in the Katana.
Climb was a little anemic on a hot day.
Kind of nice to doodle around in but wouldn't do a long xc in one.
Coming to think of it, neither in a 152, done that enough now.
Rotax has a bit of a checkered history,
sudden stoppages and connecting rod failures. They deliver them in the US now with a continental or lycoming.

'I' in the sky
1st Sep 2005, 06:44
'Unfortunately' a few years ago I did about 500 hours instructing in them. There was no night restriction on the DA20 but it was VFR only.

Performance and fuel burn were certainly much better than a C152 however if you're going to be in one for more than an hour you really need the facility to be able to stand up and allow blood circulation to return to your rear and legs. Also on a hot day it is simply a flying greenhouse.