PDA

View Full Version : Hello

NeoDude
31st Aug 2005, 06:00
Hi folks,

I just stumbled onto this forum by accident and it looks like a good place to hang out. :ok:

I have recently applied for NATS training and I am awaiting a date for aptitude tests. The posts on this forum have been a great help in letting me know what to expect so thanks for that. I have a few more questions about the NATS course and if anybody in the know could answer them I would be very grateful.

Aptitude test day: I was planning on wearing a shirt & tie. Will this be acceptable or will it give off the impression that I'm trying to hard?

Interviews: Is more knowledge better? I have a book which I could study endlessly from now until I get an interview. Will this be a waste of time or will the extra knowledge give me an advantage? Also should I mention that I have been a Captain for BA-Virtual and a Virtual Controller on Vatsim? or would they consider that just a stupid sad game? lol.

Medical: I am not the fittest chicken in the freezer and I am slightly overweight which I am currently addressing (Lost 1/2 stone last week). I also smoke which I intend to give up once the weight issue is taken care of. What are the standards regarding weight and fitness level at the medical? Will smoking be an issue?

Training: I have a wife and a 4 month old son. I would be planning on taking them both with me to Bournemouth should I be successful. Has anybody else who has done this got any advice regarding housing, benifits etc. Is it a common thing for trainees to have a family in tow? I guess what I'm hoping for is other people in the same situation so that my dear wife doesn't get lonely:D

What are the chances that I will get my preferred discipline/posting? In my case I hope to do the Aerodrome/Approach course and get a posting to Edinburgh (EGPH). I am willing to go anywhere and do anything however. I would imagine that the majority of trainees are from south of the border, does this mean that Scottish positions are easier to get into?

Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers

Chris

benedictus
31st Aug 2005, 07:37
Welcome Neodude,

I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Shirt and tie isn't necessary, but try and look reasonably smart not too casual.

2. Knowledge is power in interview situations, you won't be expected to quote the manuals but knowing about the airspace in the UK, areas of responsibility differences between area and approach, tower and GMC, how wide an airway is should stand you in good stead, visit your local unit and also the Scottish Centre after you have done the aptitude tests and ask as many questions as you can to enhance your knowledge. But don't spend your life reading the books, it's more common sense than anything else (honest)

3. Medical is straightforward unless you have any major health issues, even if you smoke!! There is no fitness test.

4. My wife gave birth to our first whilst I was in Bournemouth and we made the decision that she should stay at home to be nearer family and get the extra support she would need and allow me the time I needed to study. However others on my course had babies and brought tgheir wives down and had no problems. It's what you feel most comfortable with, can you bear being away from them Sun night to Fri Night. You get an allowance for accommodation at the college which helps towards rental costs.

5. The system at the college has now changed, you can probably request an aerodrome / approach course but there are no guarantees. As for staying North Of the Border, again it's down to company needs but they do listen if you have compassionate needs and Scottish will need extra controllers for when the New Centre Opens.

Good Luck with everything, you'll find the majority of people on this forum are more than willing to offer you the benefit of many years of ATC experience we're a friendly bunch really despite what you might read

Dan Dare
31st Aug 2005, 08:36
Realistically you can not expect to remain north of the border. The majority of ATCOs will be posted to Swanwick and you should expect that, with anything further north as a bonus. I suspect you'll find plenty of ATCOs, who were dragged kicking and screaming north of the border, but wherever you end up most people become accustomed to where the get posted and don't want to move (moving to the unit of your choice can be easier after first validation, but usually only if it suits the company).

NeoDude
2nd Sep 2005, 08:02
So, does anyone have any idea when I can expect Glasgow dates to become available for the aptitude tests?