PDA

View Full Version : Humberside

tom_ace
30th Aug 2005, 11:48
hello all, i am a long time reader of this forum but this is my first post

I am thinking of flying to humberside becuase i have some friends who live there and i said i would take them for a quick flight. I have never flown there before and was wondering if anyone here can tell me how busy it is so i can see if its a possibility.

Have checked the website and there is no GA section at all.

Cheers

Mariner9
30th Aug 2005, 12:14
try a humberside based flight school website (http://www.soloflight.co.uk/)

I note from their website there's a free fly-in this weekend - would be a good time to go!

Brooklands
30th Aug 2005, 13:35
Tom,

I've never flown into Humberside, but I understand they're a lot more GA friendly than most big airports. There was an article in Pilot a few months back about flying into Humberside, and it didn't seem to be a big deal.

Brooklands

DRJAD
30th Aug 2005, 14:23
Not massively busy.

Very friendly, and helpful.

Expect to park on the southern apron, and walk through the security gate, then round by the road (5 mins walk) to the terminal. Landing fees (not the most enormous) payable at the Information Desk.

Well worth the visit.

tom_ace
30th Aug 2005, 15:15
Hey, Thanks for the replies so far, sounds promising

FullyFlapped
30th Aug 2005, 15:28
Yep, go for it, it's fine. Well laid out, admin is easy, easy to spot from the air if you're VFR or plenty of instrument options if you swing the other way, 4 runways etc etc - far less pretentious than most "International Regionals" I've been to, and a damn sight cheaper, too!

One thing : I've never needed to draw fuel there, so can't comment on availability or price, but a quick phone call to OPS should sort that out for you.

Enjoy the flight !

FF :ok:

Mark 1
30th Aug 2005, 15:28
I occasionally fly student x-countries there as we use it as a point on the PPL QXC route.

Best practice is to call up at least 10 mins before ETA .
They provide FIS/LARS on the approach service.
No real problems, but you may have to fit in round IFR/commercial traffic.
Hi-vis jackets are required.

You may have to go round to the terminal to book-in and pay your landing fee.

Booking out can be done on the phone at the GA office.