PDA

View Full Version : Good airfield for a walk?

big.al
30th Aug 2005, 10:42
Might sound like a strange topic from the subject line!

Can anyone recommend an airfield within an hour of flying time (spam-can speeds of around 110kts) from Gamston that has some interesting and attractive countryside for a walk (not too strenous a hike).

We'd like to combine a couple of hobbies; fly somewhere for an hour, do a few miles walking (where there's something to see, eg. an coastline) and have a picnic before flying home.

Ideally the runway shouldn't be too short - needs to be sufficient to get a C172 at close to MTOW back out again - so 600m+ is preferred.

Weybourne is one possible option but I don't know what the walking is like round there - anyone been who can comment, or any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Small Rodent Driver
30th Aug 2005, 11:18
About 130 st miles from Gamston.

Caernarvon may fit the bill?

TheOddOne
30th Aug 2005, 11:21
One of the nicest walks is from Sandown to Shanklin. Once approaching Shanklin itself, you can either walk down to the seafront or take the lift, or have lunch in The Crab Inn and then take a walk down the Chine to the beach and the front (better option!).

If you've the time then you could take the little train along the coast, then when you get back to the airfield, fly around the Isle of Wight, taking in the views along the coastline, including the spectacular Needles.

The other airfield on the Isle is Bembridge. There are also walks available from here down to the beach, but there is rather less to see and do there, in my opinion.

Cheers,
The Odd One

helicopter-redeye
30th Aug 2005, 11:23
Caernarvon is all beach for local walks.

How about Crossland Moor (Hudds) or the strip near Hawarth (Oxenhope), or even Ashbourne (PPR) for the Southern Dales, or the Gliding Field (PPPPR) up on the North York Moors overlooking the Vale of York?

h-r:)

CDH
30th Aug 2005, 11:35
Redeye said
".... or the Gliding Field (PPPPR) up on the North York Moors overlooking the Vale of York?"

That'd be Sutton Bank (gliding club) definately PPR for powered ac. - or Wombleton not too far away.

Welshpool?
North Coates- just make sure you pick the right kind of shells off the beach...
Ronaldsway?

Pierre Argh
30th Aug 2005, 12:30
You might need more than an hour... or very favourable winds?... but how about an extended trip to Perranporth airfield in Cornwall. Set on the cliff tops north of Truro, you can access hundreds of miles of the Coastal Path from closeby.

strake
30th Aug 2005, 14:02
Clacton is quite nice being next to the seaside.

Of course, if the sea-air is too bracing, you could always go for a nice stroll on the airfield itself. You are quite at liberty to wander around if you follow the public footpath. It will take you right across the active runway where ramblers and their dogs often meet to pass the time of day...

Strange but amazingly true....

AerBabe
30th Aug 2005, 15:53
I don't have a chart in front of me, but two suggestions spring to mind: Compton Abbas and Branscombe. The former is probably preferable in your chosen steed!

javelin
30th Aug 2005, 16:01
Sutton Bank definitely, the path runs by the airfield, there is a visitor centre within a mile with a cafe and walks which range from 1 hour to 12 hours, take your pick. did the 1 hour walk down past the Horse and back last week, very pleasant.

muffin
30th Aug 2005, 17:49
Beware Oxenhope - the strip is short and unimaginally bumpy. I would not like to take a 172 into there.

Ashbourne is OK for a 172 and the Manifold and Dove Valleys not too far away. PM me if you want to arrange PPR there.

matspart3
31st Aug 2005, 07:29
Gloucester fits the bill. About an hour from Gamston, plenty of runway(s)

A 45 minute stroll from the Airport will put you on top of Chosen Hill, 500' above the airfield with great views of the Severn Vale, Gloucester, Cheltenham & the Cotswolds. The footpath actually runs along the Airport entrance road.

big.al
31st Aug 2005, 08:16
Thanks for all the replies - some good suggestions here. Cornwall is a little too far for this month's flying budget but is something I'll definately do when more cash is available.

Muffin - will send you a PM about Ashbourne.

pulse1
31st Aug 2005, 08:51
Compton Abbas is arguably the best airfield for a visit in the south. I can recommend the following walk from there:

Kolibear
31st Aug 2005, 10:11
Try going to Cromer. OK, I'm biased as we had a great time when we were there, but the strip is long enough for a C172 and Chris might even give you a lift into Cromer.

Cromer (http://www.chris.gurney.co.uk/)

Once you are there, then you can walk along the cliffs and picnic there, or explore the town & have lunch there.

Its a short taxi ride back to the airfield.

big.al
31st Aug 2005, 13:02
Went to Cromer last year. Love the 'international terminal'. Great little airfield but not sure I'd want to take in a C172 with four up; getting out again might be a problem on a warm day (I went in the 172 with just one passenger and we still seemed to use an awful lot of the runway getting airborne).:ooh:

The pub near the airfield in the village of Northrepps did great lunches. Would definately go again if only two of us travelling.

eyeinthesky
31st Aug 2005, 15:21
I have been to Cromer 4-up in a 172S. It was tight, but doable with not too much fuel. I did some careful calculations, and had a point about halfway down the runway by which I needed to be at 50kts or more or I would stop. I also made sure I started off from the very beginning of the runway.

I would not attempt it unless the wind allowed use of 18. The upslope on 36 and its climb out (not to say the bank at the road edge which took a PA28's wheels off a few years ago...) would be too much to be comfortable. Also, the ground drops away from the end of 18, which allows a comfortable climb away.

A great place to go, and one of the friendliest welcomes around from Chris.

Malcolm G O Payne
31st Aug 2005, 19:02
Charlecote Park, where Shakespeare is reputed to have poached deer, is within easy walking distance os Wellesbourne

big.al
2nd Sep 2005, 09:31
Caernarvon was looking good - but now the weather forecast for Sunday suggests that it'll be worse in the west, with possible rain or thunder later - so may have to head eastwards instead...

Thanks for the suggestions!