PDA

View Full Version : UK POF(H) exam

Martin1234
29th Aug 2005, 22:14
What is the degree of difficulty in the UK POF(H) exam under the "interim arrangement"? If you compare with the FAA system, are the questions in the UK exam harder than the corresponding FAA ATP questions? Can you survive the test only by using Principles of Helicopter Flight by W.J. Wagtendonk?

jemax
30th Aug 2005, 07:26
Knowing Wagtendonk inside out, as well as a days brush up through Mike Burton at Bristol GS did the trick for me. I got 99% and just about all of the 7 people who went through in my brush up were well in the 90's.

Did the exams in May, ours was one of the first of a new set of papers wiith a lot of different questions on it, but it didn't seem to pose anyone through Bristol any significant problems.

Only difficulty was that some of the phraseology in the exam was different to that written in the book, but that's the case for a lot of the exams.

Can't comment on FAA thing

helicopter-redeye
30th Aug 2005, 09:14
Wagtendonk pretty much covers the subject.

ThomasTheTankEngine
30th Aug 2005, 09:33
Idid my theory exams back in 1998, The POF exam may have changed a bit since then. I found the wording on some of the questions quite difficult I passed all the other exams but failed POF :confused:

I then got a POF questions and answers book from Bristows the book was spot on and I got a score of about 90% this was a realy old book from when Bristow done CPL training.

The theory may have changed a bit since then.

Ive never been through the FAA system but I think youl find the two systems are very different.

Good luck.

Whirlybird
30th Aug 2005, 11:25
TTTE,

I failed P of F too. I then wrote to the CAA querying the answer to one question where I'd felt that all four answers were wrong (height of grounds cushion, for anyone who wants to know). I'd only failed by 2 marks, so one question could have made all the difference. They checked and gave me the two marks and a PASS, on the grounds that most standard texts (Wagtendonk etc) agreed with me, but the book they were using was...something little known, and I can't remember the name, and don't have time to find the reply now.

Sounds like things have changed - maybe for the better. :ok:

jemax
30th Aug 2005, 14:21
Oh and by the way I've got loads of heli POF feedback questions I can send you, I'm not sure when you are taking the exams

Martin1234
30th Aug 2005, 15:09
Thanks everyone. Jemax, I just sent you a PM. Feedback questions are highly appreciated.

No mobile phone during the exam? Damn it!

Hairyplane
31st Aug 2005, 16:39
I only had to do the Helicopter Technical and FlightPlanning and Performance Paper. (I got swept up on Human Performance too....) as I already hold a PPL(A).

Wagtendonk does not cover the subjects completely - I found myself faced with a number of questions about ( from memory) - pressure instruments, what maintenance can you do yourself, fuel uploads ( incl a specific gravity conversion), what defines 'Service Ceiling' plus a few others that caused me to either dig into the grey archive or guess.

Despite that, I got nearly 90% on FP&P and 96% on Technical. (The Human Performance is a gift of a paper. I got 92% without reading the book).

Wag. Is an excellent book and a must for the Commercial I am told.

Test passed yesterday - hurrah!

HP

TheFlyingSquirrel
1st Sep 2005, 13:20
When I took the POF(H) exam last year, our sitting was the first group to undertake the exam from the new updated question bank. The CAA had slipped it in unexpetedly. I had never seen any of the questions before but had enough applied knowledge to acheive 81%. I knew the Wagtendonk book inside out and hopefully have retained much of it. So there's your answer - Mr Wagtenbonk or what ever his bloody name is, holds the key !!

Good luck all !!

TFS

lady in red
1st Sep 2005, 17:45
I used Wagtendonk and also Quantick's book and got 93%.
Good luck.

Martin1234
1st Sep 2005, 21:29
If you only get 81% when you know "the Wagtendonk book inside out" I should use feedback questions to be on the safe side. If anyone can lend or sell some it would be much appreciated if you could PM me. Thanks.