PDA

View Full Version : Any good/use??

Paris Dakar
29th Aug 2005, 16:16
Can you please let me know whether the following is any good or not?

Lidl are selling (next week) a digital wristwatch with altimeter for £24.99!

The altimeter will display a range from - 9,164m to + 9,164m (also displays in feet). barometric pressure range is 300 to 1.000hPa/mbar.

It also has a thermometer built in (-10 to +60c) and a stopwatch.

It also tells the time apparently.

I remember approx 10 years ago that Casio made a similar type watch but it was about 6 or 7 times the cost?

Kind regards,

PD

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2005, 20:46
Having owned a Casio version some years ago I would say don't bother.

Just buy a watch for telling the time, an altimeter for telling your altitude and a thermometer for telling the temperature.

Seriously :ok:

AlanM
29th Aug 2005, 22:09
Go get a Breitling..... and receive a lifetimes hospitality at RIAT! :)

More than just a timepiece - it snaps knicker elastic at 20 paces!!! (So they tell me :()

Laundryman
29th Aug 2005, 22:37
A Brietling ! ! ! !

you could buy an plane for the cost of one of those.

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2005, 22:44
Alan, the sheer weight of a Breitling might well snap knicker elastic and I have heard that only plank pilots need the extra help... ;)

Paris Dakar
30th Aug 2005, 11:19
I was just wondering whether it's worth buying one as a kind of 'standby'.

I fly with a handheld scanner just in case of radio failure (I know I can't broadcast but at least I can hear ATC).

I rely on my trusty Poljot to tell me the time, and Mrs Dakar would go ape if I ever contemplated buying a Breitling! She went ape enough when I bought my excellent quality replica Navitimer a couple of years back.

Ta much all.

Mariner9
30th Aug 2005, 12:43
Plugging your left wrist into the aircraft static source would be an interesting challenge ;)

Maude Charlee
30th Aug 2005, 14:38
Is the Aero Club cutting back on the instrument fit or something? Might ask for a retrospective discount on the membership fee. :}

Paris Dakar
30th Aug 2005, 15:04
No, no problems at all with aircraft fit - I was just wondering if that type of watch would be of any use as a standby in the case of an instrument failure?

PD

Farrell
30th Aug 2005, 15:54
I have a Suunto Vector that comes with a built in Altimeter.

It's fairly accurate for GA - not that I would ever dream of using it as a primary source EVER!

What I love doing (because I have no life) is watching it go crazy during pressurization in jets.

GonTek
4th Sep 2005, 11:49
So this is where you are hiding PD

The comments are spot on rely on what you've got in front of you and spend the money on air time, and before you reply it does not make any difference as you well know what I have on my wrist .and yes if you remember the conversation She went off it as well over the cost but what the hell..

Noah Zark.
4th Sep 2005, 15:08
I had one of the original Casio jobbies when they came out. It had all the bells and whistles, it was shock proof, dust proof, and anti-magnetic.
It caught fire! :}