PDA

View Full Version : Leading and Trailing Edge devices.

JetDriverWannabe
29th Aug 2005, 15:53
I would just like to ask.
What is the advantages and disadvantages of using the following 4 wing devices ?

1.) Kruger Flaps
2.) Leading Edge Slats
3.) Fowler Flap
4.) Double slotted flaps

None
29th Aug 2005, 16:40
http://aerodyn.org/HighLift/multi.html

JetDriverWannabe
29th Aug 2005, 18:15
I am asking more in terms of. The Pro's and con's of using these devices..for example.

Why the manufacturer of one large Jet choses to use uses kruger flaps on the LE, and triple slotted flaps on the TE
While another manufaturer uses slats on the LE and Single slotted flaps on the TE ?

Surely there must be pros and cons of using different types of LE and TE devices ? any ideas?

safetypee
29th Aug 2005, 19:06
Example from BAe146 et al.
Large, almost full span, split (slotted) fowler, and tabbed, trailing edge flaps chosen for very high lift – role of the aircraft.
Use of leading edge devices was avoided due to the additional complexity / weight, but mainly as they are often associated with large trim changes, which may have required a trimming tailplane and / or powered elevator; thus avoiding more complexity and weight on what was to be a manual control aircraft.

Grunf
31st Aug 2005, 00:22
You really have to check what is intended performance for the a/c since each model has different objectives.

BAE 146 was a good example.

I would advise you to check online development for 737 and 747 info. That would give you a better picture on different approaches.

You can also try to find something on DCs (8, 9, 10) since most of the other solutions are obvious there.

Kroger's are nowadays dropped and if you check new solutions it's more modifications of the old stuff found on originating a/cs (Boeing, Douglass and Aerospatiale/Sudaviation for Airbus).

Overall I think you can get an answer only ona case by case basis. And even not to talk of russina/ukrainina a/cs and older stuff like ofr example Junkers type of flaps or solutions on older 2. WW bombers (both British and American).

DFC
31st Aug 2005, 00:39
It is a design thing!

The B747 has Kruger Flaps and Slats.

Regards,

DFC

spannersatcx
31st Aug 2005, 07:39
The B747 has Kruger Flaps and Slats

Wrong, it has Kruger Flaps and Variable Camber Leading Edge Flaps.