PDA

View Full Version : Retractable RAG systems

M609
27th Aug 2005, 22:50
Does anyone here have any experience working at an airport with BAK-14 style retractable cable runway arresting gear?

The powers at the top have decided that to comply with an requirement from the CAA to remove RAG asscociated obstacles close to the runway (And cancel the reduction in available runway lenght we have had on Notam for the last 1 1/2 years), retractable systems are considered.

There are apparently 2 solutions available, to just "bury" the arresting gear itself, with its running gear. (Rollers for the tape at the RWY edge etc), or include a retractable cable system as well.

The local tech people have apparently been dazzled by glossy BAK-14 brochures, and is keen on it. Since we require to use a lot of opposite rwy operations due to surrounding terrain, the BAK-14 would be nice, since they plan on installing the new systems about 1000ft inside each THR. (Manual rigging takes time in my experience)

So far so good.....but then you look at where the rwy is in the world.....at 69N!

So my qestion is: Have anyone tried to use BAK-14 style systems in prolonged winter conditions? Are the heating systems that are available strong enough to keep the moving parts operating at -20 degrees and snow for months at the time?

I kinda visualize this lot incased in ice!

http://www.esco-usa.com/escoimages/BAK14runway.jpg

I'm a bit suspicious about the whole concept! :(