PDA

View Full Version : Parlez-vous francais...

collective bias
24th Aug 2001, 10:21
Figure this one...
I always thought the language of aviation was English.
Well today while writing (sitting) my Canadian IFR Theory, I turn the ERC LO chart to check a symbol for something and everything in the legend column is in french. A fair bit of mild panic, map spinning, flipping and cursing occurred until I found the readable version. First time in my limited life that I have seen two languages on a chart or publication. No offence to the Quebecians but this seems to be a bit of middle class liberal overkill.
I can't imagine too many pilots in the murk preferring to cross check the french definition of that particular FSS frequency. However, I'm particularily looking foward to seeing the aussies and kiwi equivalents in Aboriginal and Maori... :D ;) :D ;)

Pat Gerard
24th Aug 2001, 11:14
The first language to be spoken at an airfield is the language of the operator of the airfield. The second in line is the language of the country where the airfield is situated. Then the third one is English.
It certainly would not make sense to have three languages on the legend of a chart.
I assume that for Canada, it is very much political.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Pat Gerard ]

CTD
24th Aug 2001, 15:39
You got that right. Politically speaking, it's like a never-ending trip to the dentist.

All of the pubs are available in both languages, and usually separately so there's no confusion. At some smaller airports in Quebec, the locals may only speak French, but English is spoken at all FSS and federal agencies. Not that bad really.

Venez-vous!

Gainesy
24th Aug 2001, 19:43
Just wondering, how much less tax would you pay if this bi-lingual thing was binned?

heedm
24th Aug 2001, 23:31
While the costs may go down, the taxes won't. The extra revenue would probably go into politicians pay or to build a national monument honoring a heroic houseplant or whatever isn't yet honored. ;)

Matthew.

IHL
25th Aug 2001, 01:25
C.B. Bienvenue au Canada. We have aboriginal languages as well.

When it comes to diversification and multiculturalism, Canada differs drastically from its American cousin to the south .

Americans use the melting pot theory where it doesn't matter where you came from when you emigrate to the U.S. you become American.

Canada on the other hand promtes multi-culturalism. We even have a Ministry for Multi-culturalism.

Toronto is probably one of the most culturally diverse cities on the planet.

It is a Great Country.

:) :)

collective bias
25th Aug 2001, 07:56
IHL and all the rest of the Canadians online..
I just reread my post and decided it sounded decidedly REDNECK.
No offence intended, I was just suprised by the extent that the your multiculturalism has extended to. I still think the charts and pub's are a little over the top.
See ya out east IHL,
CB :cool:

IHL
26th Aug 2001, 06:18
C.B. Where abouts in Ontario are you going ?

collective bias
26th Aug 2001, 11:56
IHL
A warm steamy place called London.
Really cold in winter, I hear, with copious amounts of NVFR/IFR.....
Great!
Yourself?

Buckjump
28th Aug 2001, 07:10
Didn't I meet you along the Pi's pa Road enrte Vegas :)

No good deed goes unpunished.

oldbeefer
2nd Sep 2001, 18:44
Even in TAFs, the froggies have their say:
MIFG = thin (ie mince) fog. FU = fumee (smoke). BR = brume (ie mist). Is there no end to it, mon dieu?

Roofus
2nd Sep 2001, 20:13
Don't let the Welsh find out!
I shudder to think! :D

Thud_and_Blunder
3rd Sep 2001, 11:04
I hesitate to correct my former mentor, but isn't BR short for Brouillard?

Anyway, if powered flight started in the English speaking world how come we have fuselage, ailerons, empennage and so on? At least most helicopter components managed to avoid unwelcome impositions by the Academie Francaise language police... OK, I'll give them 'transmission'.

Pat Gerard
3rd Sep 2001, 21:33
You can also say that BR stands for Bruine ( drizzle ).

Anyway, Thud and Blunder, have you forgotten Montgolfier, and Clement Ader with his " Avion" ?

heedm
3rd Sep 2001, 22:08
Thud, those words also describe parts of non-powered aircraft.

oldbeefer
4th Sep 2001, 00:44
Thud and Blunder - don't you trust me after 25 years? Br = Brume = mist. FG = fog! I didn't spend 3 years with the FrGs for nothing (apart from the LOA, that is!).

Thud_and_Blunder
4th Sep 2001, 13:42
Yup, OK everybody - fair cop! OldB - I naturally defer to the master. Mind you, looking up both brouillard and fog in the online Eng-Frog dictionaries did back us both up...!

Ah, LOA. Tell me, is there life after LOA (and LSP!)?

Cheers,

Thud

Multp
4th Sep 2001, 18:27
Just have to add a few Centimes (appropriate for my hundredth post....)
'OVER' is our English corruption of 'A Vous'.
(Oldbeefer, nice to see you're keeping your French up!!) :D

Pat Gerard
4th Sep 2001, 20:08
And " MAYDAY " comes from : " M'aidez "= "Aidez-moi" = " Help me "......

212man
4th Sep 2001, 20:35
Why, what's wrong?

I guess pan pan pan means "can I have some bread?"

CTD
4th Sep 2001, 20:55
.....only in an emergency, where three slices are required.

Thud_and_Blunder
5th Sep 2001, 03:22

I think it translates as "bang, bang, bang" - very onomatopaeic. OldB - the real answer please? :D

Pat Gerard
5th Sep 2001, 10:36
PAN comes from the French " PANNE ", breakdown.

Joker's Wild
6th Sep 2001, 15:50
At the risk of offending everyone's sensitivities, let's be frank. The bi-lingual debate in Canada is ONLY political and I shudder to think how many more millons will be wasted on it in the future.

Were Transport Canada to announce that all charts and publications would, in the future, be published in English only, I'm quite certain the entire Canadian aviation industry would be brought to it's knees.

:rolleyes:

CTD
6th Sep 2001, 16:35
Not the whole Canadian Aviation Industry, just a small portion of it in Québec. You're right....pure politics.

Steve76
7th Sep 2001, 12:52
Perhaps someone should whip over to Quebec and hand out a few more Molson T-shirts...
Join with me now...'I am Canadian'
:D

oldbeefer
7th Sep 2001, 21:36
Multp - French is about the only thing I'm keeping up these days! T&B, yup, PANNE is a breakdown. Must go and open a bottle of Aussie wine.........

IHL
8th Sep 2001, 08:08
Just hang on Steve76, in another Month Canada's national pass-time will begin, then; you will learn the true meaning of being Canadian. eh.

Steve76
8th Sep 2001, 10:25
Aha! Must be ice hockey? Or is it Rugby!
What I have learn't - Aboat, eh!, oh yeah! & like.
Additionally I have developed an addiction to Tim Hortons.
Assimilation almost completed. Now where did I leave that baseball cap...
:D

IHL
9th Sep 2001, 00:56
Steve76 , it's not ice hockey it's just "HOCKEY". Tim Horton's is very addictive and by the Tim was a Great Hockey Player. ;)

Steve76
9th Sep 2001, 12:02
I think Tim is a better doughnut maker personally....
Man! They're the cheapest way to put on weight and ensure an early death by heart disease :)
Unfortunately rather tasty....

John Eacott
9th Sep 2001, 12:18
Eh?

heedm
10th Sep 2001, 01:42
http://www.timhortons.com/

heloplt
11th Sep 2001, 07:44
Roofus hit the nail on the head this time...thank goodness the English prevailed over their friendly neighbors the Welsh. Crikey....can you imagine how much fun it would be to copy a clearance in Welsh! We would be using easels instead of kneeboards!

212man
11th Sep 2001, 12:55
Patrick,
if you're following this from home, your tie pin should be waiting for you on your return from leave.

Have a good break.

Pat Gerard
16th Sep 2001, 08:45
212man

Many thanks. I mail you as soon as I get it.

P.S. What do you think of this thread ?

Steve76
16th Sep 2001, 10:10
Pat,
Personally I am suprised that this thread has gone this long. Long may it continue. :D

Rotator
17th Sep 2001, 15:37
The late Pres. deGaulle still has an awful lot to answer for!

Does anyone else out there approach helicopter IFR (IMC) flying through France with as much trepidation as me? No idea who or what may be close by or, by speaking English, if you are receiving a proper service.

VFR would be more comfortable if the FIS transmitted something other than a taped message!

Why have the French not yet introduced the decimal clock or compass? :confused: