PDA

View Full Version : Newie with questions...

benj1981
25th Aug 2005, 09:34
Hi,

I have my interview for NATS in October and have a few questions.

Firstly, I have read all the info here about the interview and hope they will help me!

I was wondering if I were to pass the interview when would I likely begin my training?

What sort of opportunites are available for working abroad after a few years in the job?

Anyone have any more tips to help me out at the interview?

Cheers

VectorLine
25th Aug 2005, 09:59
I was wondering if I were to pass the interview when would I likely begin my training?

Bernoulli is probably your expert on this one, but 6 - 12 months time is a good estimate.

What sort of opportunites are available for working abroad after a few years in the job?

They could be good. There will probably always be opportunities in the Middle East. Maybe NavCanada will open their doors again. European jobs most likely available, but many countries will require local language.

All above will require you to resign from NATS.

However, NATS recently won a 3 year contract to operate ATC and other services at Gibraltar. This is probably just the start of NATS overseas airports contracts. So opportunities there (albeit through transfer to NATS Gibraltar Ltd - or other NATS foreign Co - with associated pension complications)

Anyone have any more tips to help me out at the interview?

* Prepare as you would for any other interview.
* Have a good, convincing answer for "Why do you want to be an air traffic controller"
* If it is selection test stage - then practice all the puzzles you can get from IQ test books.
* If interview, then most of what you have read in the links above will help a lot.
* You could round off by reading anything you can get from the library to do with air traffic control.
* Visit at least one unit.
* Have a read through 'Flight International' at your local WH Smith
* Look at the new official NATS recruitment site (http://natscareers.co.uk/indexfs.asp?id=2005825) - lots of information, plus the opportunity to listen to sampled RT. (incidently can any of the ATCOs recognise themselves, and were you asked permission? I recognise one 'D' Watch WestEnder)

MartinInTheMiddle
12th Sep 2005, 08:28
i have heard that some people are getting in the door in just under six months - it all depends on Medical and Security checks. Security clearance takes longer if you are from Ireland or outside UK.

runtobarlu
12th Sep 2005, 12:13
Got a really good tip for the interview..

Don't mention the fact that you'll be on yer bike to warmer climes if the opporunity arises.. Got as feeling that this might not go down with a bang... !!!!

Jerricho
12th Sep 2005, 12:21
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151599

;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Sep 2005, 17:48
Newie... I'd recommend what I did.. Work abroad to start with and then come back to NATS. The experience gained abroad would be worth a few brownie points I'm sure.

250 kts
12th Sep 2005, 21:15
And more and more I believe it is time NATS started to bond the trainees. How much longer are we going to provide free training for other ATC companies? i would suggest at least 5 years after becoming fully valid at a unit would be reasonable.

ILS 119.5
13th Sep 2005, 15:24
If I were you I would concentrate on getting through the tests and interview, then passing the course and validating at a unit, before aspirations of working abroad. There are a lot of hurdles to cross before you should even think about overseas. Also, as previousely said, do not tell NATS that you would like to work in another state. The last thing they want is to spend many thousands of pounds training you for you to flee the nest after validation.
Rgds
ILS 119.5

Lock n' Load
13th Sep 2005, 18:09
I second what 119.5 has to say. At this point, planning for the interview, you don't know how you're going to do in interview and, if you're lucky and good, training. You don't know for sure if you'll even like the job if you do get in! There are cases of people who get as far as validation training but either can't take the responsibility or don't take it seriously enough.
I went overseas after about 9 years with NATS, which I think is a pretty reasonable return of service, but I didn't even think about it till I'd had a few years in.
If you are successful in selection and training, put a lot of thought into what you expect of working abroad before taking the plunge. Any overseas ATS provider will expect a few years of valid service anyway, probably 5 years as a minimum. When or if you do get yourself a job overseas, it's not all a bed of roses! There can be hassles with work permits, going back to zero credit rating, animosity from colleagues potentially ("come over her, stealing our jobs", etc etc, and you might just miss the UK more than you expect. Personally, you'd have to drug me to get me back to Blighty, but after 14 months in Canada I have a credit rating and friendly local colleagues but it has taken all that time.
Going back to the main point; concentrate on getting the job offer from NATS first, then on getting through the college and then on validating at a unit. Build some experience and THEN think about working overseas.