PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair's Vision of Europe

PPRuNe Radar
24th Aug 2005, 22:40
RYANAIR CALLS FOR MORE EFFICIENT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
GREATER EFFICIENCY, LOWER EMISSIONS, LOWER FARES

Ryanair, Europe’s No. 1 low fares airline today (11th August) called for the implementation of a more efficient European air traffic control system that would reduce fuel burn, emissions, flight times and fares.

Politicians and European Air Navigation Service Providers have been aware of these issues for years but because of state monopolies, archaic work practices and a slow pace of change, European air traffic control remains a patchwork of inefficiency.

Peter Sherrard, Ryanair’s Head of Communications said,

“When the Open Skies policy liberalized air traffic in Europe in 1997, it resulted in massively lower fares for ordinary passengers and opened up many of Europe’s peripheral regions to the benefits of year round tourism.

“Now it is time to repeat this success in European Air Traffic Control by:

· Creating practical airspace blocks rather than National boundries
· Creating competition for the provision of ATC services in each of these blocks

This would put an end to elongated and inefficient “W” shaped flight paths that often add 30% onto the direct routes and generate efficiencies and cost reductions not available from existing state sponsored monopolies. It would also reduce air fares for passengers and decrease the environmental impact of air travel more than any ill conceived aviation taxes ever could.”

Just been forwarded this by another Mod. Thanks flyblue !!

It is not really very original thinking from Mr Sherrard. The principles and strategies have been there for years in the European ATM world. He is however right that politics and practicalities are taking a long time to overcome.

There are a lot of areas where national boundaries are 'superceded' to provide the best service. Perhaps Ryanair don't realise it. As an example, almost without exception, the UK provides ATS in the airspace of its neighbours .. and conversely, its neighbours provide ATS in UK airspace.

Direct routes are also used extensively in Europe, when it is possible to do so. Probably the main blocker to this being H24 is military airspace and activity. Perhaps the fact that Ireland has a small air force (which matches its defence requirements)with little requirement for airspace means that Mr Sherrard is unaware of this ??

I don't think I disagree with his stated aims, however, his naivety is worrying for someone of influence in the industry :ok:

niknak
24th Aug 2005, 23:20
I would question how much influence Ryanair actually have within the industry, especially when it comes to high level decision making - negligible, in fact MOL's yes men/wimin make a lot of noise and have no bite.

They're very good at what they do within their own market - low cost and cross subsidising their own flights to make the airline look attractive.

When you compare them to the retail trade, they are Netto/Lidl - stack it high, sell it cheap, and that's all they ever will be.

Lock n' Load
25th Aug 2005, 00:12
Oh my word, the Lidl of the aviation world???
The only UK supermarket chain that checks customers for knives on the way in, and gives them one if they're not packing....
:E

Gonzo
25th Aug 2005, 00:41
Funniest piece of junk mail I've seen was from Lidl....... Featured in the advertisement was a 'fantastic value reversible bath towel '.

And there I was thinking those one-sided towels we all have are the height of human sophistication!

achtung
25th Aug 2005, 07:08
words fail me.... this Sherrard guy hasn't the foggiest what he's talking about. How many nations are we talking about across Europe? How many Air Forces? And how many of them still have huge influences on Airspace design? I suggest Mr Sherrard either gets his facts straight first before making pathetic, standard Ryan Air hot air, or go back to selling his cheap goods...... and shut up...:}

VectorLine
25th Aug 2005, 10:06
Single European Sky concept including Flexible Use of Airspace and Functional Airspace Blocks has been around for a while.

It is obviously about to come to fruition and therfore RYANSCARE are getting their press release out now, so that when it all hits the news the public will think,

"What a fantastic airline they are - getting all that changed single handedly - lets go and book a flight from Glasgow, Oldham International to Paris, Lille for 1p plus taxes and taxi fares"

Lon More
25th Aug 2005, 11:23
If implemented it would at least stop them from asking, "We're late, can you give us antehere direcct?"

25th Aug 2005, 20:55
I'm actually a Ryanair fan, their pilots know their planes and capabilities inside out and never cause me any problem; and are both flexible and helpful to the extreme.
Their flight planning however is another subject. There are various conditional or "part -time" routes available which Ryanair do not use, if they did they could take advantage of short cuts on those occassions. ATC will re-route if workload and capacity permits, but sometimes the co-ordination/flight plan amendment/slot /sector traffic load and complexity mean that this cannot be done.
An operating economy seems to be a one-size-fits-all attitude to flight planning......so back to you Mr S.....the ball's in your court....do your homework before blaming ATC.

duece19
25th Aug 2005, 22:57
I suppose if you dont ask you dont get, however you gotta choose something realistic whenever you ask.

Almost everytime you ask for a direct you´ll get it, maybe an annoyance to you guys, but I couldnt take this job if there were no directs, its gets a bit longwinded as it is already.

Mr S is dreaming I suppose, maybe thats what he does best???

Anyway, its too late, and I must cut the craptalk.

/duece