PDA

View Full Version : AOPA Aerobatics course

Alvin Steele
21st Aug 2005, 22:05
Hi folks
I'm contemplating an AOPA aerobatics course, just wondering if anyone here has done the course and what it is like.
Is it difficult to pass?
A recommendation of a good aero's school would be nice.

Cheers:D

BRL
21st Aug 2005, 22:11
Hi there, a search reveals this, (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173831&highlight=AOPA+aerobatics+course) this and (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42600&highlight=AOPA+Aerobatics+course) this. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81898&highlight=AOPA+Aerobatics+course) :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Aug 2005, 09:32
I wouldn't get too hung up about the AOPA course. Just find a good aeros instructer and get some training. There is no aeros 'qualification' in UK, and passing the AOPA course confers no extra rights.

SSD

jonnoboy
22nd Aug 2005, 12:22
SSD is quite right. Nonetheless, I commenced an AOPA course earlier this year as I liked the idea of having some structure, and a goal to aim for. As much as I dread tests, they do you good (I think) and make you a better pilot. Although not necessary, it is a widely acknowldeged course and so will not do you any harm if you wish to aerobat other clubs aircraft.

I haven't finished the course as I am away for a while, but I was not worried by it. You simply do it when your instructor thinks you are ready and not automatically after 10 hours or whatever.

AOPA course ot not, aeros are great fun and put you to the test. I can't wait to complete the course. That of course willl be just the start of it!

Alvin Steele
22nd Aug 2005, 14:44
Thanks for all the replies.
As regards the test, I'm not a fan either but apparently the test doesnt have to be taken....obviously it does for issue of a certificate, but I'd be happy to know I could do a loop or a roll and would be happy for the few hours training with, like you say, some structure to it.

eharding
22nd Aug 2005, 22:28
Alvin,

The whole point of the AOPA course is safety, and hence
completing it to the satisfaction of your instructor is, I would
say, a fundamental part of moving forward in your aerobatic
career; maybe your instructor may not offer the AOPA
course, but your aerobatic instructor will certainly expect
a level of competence in safe recovery from unusual
attitudes. If you want to fly a loop and a roll safely, you should
be very comfortable with spin and negative manoeuvre
recovery - aerobatics is not a pick and choose discipline -
either you take it a whole, and undertake the appropriate
training, or, frankly, you will end up killing yourself and
possibly, some poor soul with you. That being said, I hope
you do fly aerobatics, advice above withstanding. It really
is the best participant sport there is.... :O

Regards,

Ed

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2005, 06:00
eh wrote It really is the best participant sport

and he'd know as he turned in a very credible performance over the weekend in his first ever British National Championships.

Well done to you and MAXG

Stik

eharding
23rd Aug 2005, 09:12
;) .....if only I could have remembered to roll on that down-
line after the stall turn......:}

A great weekend all-round - see you at the Tiger!

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2005, 09:16
No matey, I'm displaying at an RAF family day, then staying over in the mess for beer and giggles.

I thought that the pull after figure one went on and on and on - it showed 6G but I seem to have sustained it for ever!

Stik

cosworth211
23rd Aug 2005, 11:03
Hi Alvin,

I completed the AOPA certificate last saturday in a Robin 2160i.

I found it to be the most exiting flying I have ever done by some stretch, and feel it has really improved my airmanship and handling skills. Once your body adjusts to being thrown around it really is a complete blast.

The test took 40 minutes and involved a preflight briefing where you explain the fuel and engine systems for the type, a demonstration of good checks from the walkaround to the shutdown, and obviously the aero's. You have to perform -

Loop
Spin
Recoveries from unusual attitudes
Barrel Roll
Slow Roll
Aileron Roll
Roll off the top
Stall Turn

And smoothly demonstrate a combination of the above. I chose a loop, followed by a stall turn, followed by a ballistic barrell roll, and finished with a flick roll, but you can get by with just two.

You take the test when your instructor thinks you are proficent, I completed the course in the minimum 8 hours, but then again I flew every weekend. I personally have 70 hours in my logbook now so guess its certainly not over challenging for low hour pilots.

I preferred starting aerobatics through a recognised structured course which awards a certificate for your achievement, however what you learn in the AOPA certificate is just an insight to what you could do in more exotic types, I personally am going to move onto the CAP at the Tiger Club once I have tailwheel signed off and enough experience!

conor_mc
23rd Aug 2005, 12:06
Going off on a slight tangent here, but how would one log time while sitting this course - PIC/S or Dual?

Reason I ask is that after I get my PPL, I'll be hour-building for the CPL. Obviously, the object of the exercise is to enjoy aerobatics safely and to improve one's airmanship - and to have a little fun too :D - much better than bimbling around Florida for 100hrs. But being able to count the aero's course as PIC/S towards the required 100hrs PIC would be a bonus.

Actually, same point goes for a tailwheel rating. I'd prefer to be advancing my flying skills and airmanship while hour-building obviously, but finance dictates that you need to strike a balance with getting that magic 100hrs as economically as possible too.

cosworth211
23rd Aug 2005, 12:33
I logged the instruction as PU/T and the actual test as P1/S, unfortunately not a very economical way to build PIC time. But once you have the certificate you can go touring in the type you trained in, and have fun on the way!

I understand that the same applies to tailwheel differences training.

Makes for a much more interesting cv though :)

Edited to add -

Check out this months pilot magasine for a good guide to getting into aero's, the aircraft featured is the aircraft I just completed my certificate in :)

conor_mc
23rd Aug 2005, 15:30
Thanks for clarifying that cosworth.

As I said, I see great value in pushing yourself during your hour-building - plenty of interesting Nav, experiencing a different environment to your home country, aero's, tailwheel, differing aircraft, maybe some complex training - but the problem is weighing those up against the cost.

Having said that, if you managed your PPL in low hours (say 50), you only need a further 90 PIC (10 min from PPL solo training already), but after a 25 hour CPL course, you have to wait til you have 200 hours for the issue of the licence. That does give a bit of leeway for some additional PUT time, which should be put to good use! :ok:

Edit to add - have read the article and it has piqued my curiousity! Unfortunately, gotta finish my PPL and get through the ATPL's first before I treat myself to some flying adventures!

I'm actually doing my PPL in a Robin 2160 also - same as the Alpha 160.

Alvin Steele
23rd Aug 2005, 21:40
Ed, I appreciate the advice, I was just stating that I'm not a fan of tests, I'm one of those people who can perform well on my own but dislike close scrutiny......eg, an instructor could deem me fit for a test and on the day I'd be 'all fingers and thumbs' and arse it up....its the same with driving, I've been driving for18 years perfectly safely but couldnt guarantee I'd pass a driving test tomorrow.
I was surprised to read a quote from the test pilot Roland Beamont about his early career when he stated a similar thing about disliking close supervision.
Back to the aero's, I'd never attempt anything in aviation I didnt feel competent about doing.
I'd only attempt aero's after adequate training.

Cosworth, many congratulations on bagging the certificate and thanks for the insight.