PDA

View Full Version : NATS - who controls the rest?

NT42
20th Aug 2005, 19:37
Sorry if this is a silly question, but the NATS website says it has 40 working locations. So who is in charge of all the other airport and area ATC centres? And how do you get a job with them?

Sorry if I'm missing something here, just a little confused. Does NATS train you up, and the individual airports hire you?

Thanks for any help!

JW.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Aug 2005, 19:56
"Non-State" covers the other airfields. All centres are NATS controlled, as are most of the major airports. At other airfields the local authority employs ATC staff. For potential controllers some have their own training schemes where they pay for staff to be trained by NATS. I don't know the current ruling on what is required before applying for an ATC licence but in the past it has been posible to undergo training with a supervisory controller and do one's own study prior to sitting the licence exams.

NT42
20th Aug 2005, 20:08
Thanks HD, I thought that may be the case.

Probably better to try and go through NATS if you were wanting to train, I expect.

Thanks for the help!

JW.

2 sheds
21st Aug 2005, 10:12
HD

Rather misleading for the poor lad - that's about a couple of decades out-of-date.

JW

NATS is not the only employer. Try enquiring with other regional airports/aerodromes.

2 s

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Aug 2005, 10:33
2 sheds.. How was my posting misleading? I said virtually the same as you!!!!

2 sheds
21st Aug 2005, 13:17
The bit about training while still studying for the licence!

Quite agree with the rest - NATS isn't the only fish in the sea and one can probably have a far more satisfying career with other employers.

NT42
21st Aug 2005, 15:13
So how would one go about getting a job like this? Or more to the point, training? Do you simply look at which airports are recruiting and apply in the same manner as with NAT's?

Cheers,

JW.

Pierre Argh
22nd Aug 2005, 08:01
UK ATC training is (HD... and has been for at least ten years) based on continuous assessment; therefore it is necessary to undertake a recognised training course (mixture of practical and theoretical assessment). These are available at the CAA College at Bournemouth and a couple of other companies (SERCo, Bae Systems at Dundridge etc... I may not be up-to-date as availability changes. These companies course may also open the door to employment ooportunities abroad?)

Whilst you can pay for your own place on course, you will be required to validate your CAA license (achieve an operational endorsement) within a given timescale. Pay your own way and you may struggle to find a post-graduate opportunity to validate.

NATS gets most of its controllers from the Bournemouth output (I believe?) and as you say is the "path most trodden" because few if any, regional airport operators openly advertise for non-qualified personnel... Some have accepted people in the past and sponsored them through training (normally on a shared cost plus return of service agreement)... and may do again, but it is not the norm.

The implimentation of ESARR5 licensing requriements may open the market in the future and allow non-UK controllers (i.e. without a CAA license) to move into UK ATC units and UK personnel to obtain training at foreign colleges when commonality of licenses across the EU is achieved.... (speculative?). There's plenty of information out there on the web.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2005, 08:20
OK - I'm very sorry for the misinformation. I only retired a couple of years ago and was obviously ignorant of the changes. Guess I didn't need to know with the safety net of NATS around me all those years!

NT42
22nd Aug 2005, 09:09
Hi,

Thanks for all the information. I've spent an hour or two searching the web for the training schemes. The CAA website say there are only three "approved air traffic control training establishments". NATS, BAE and ASTAC. I've oredered information from BAE and will be contacting ASTAC to see what sort of traning they offer. The latter has a sponsership type scheme - either self or it is up to you to find one.

Anyway, thanks for the help - I'm getting a bit further now. In my opinion though, NATS still seems the best option if possible!

Cheers,

JW.

Barnaby the Bear
26th Aug 2005, 20:23
Just as a guide, if you self fund look to spend around £15k for aerodrome, £10k for Approach procedural (if required) and £18k for Radar ratings. Thats if you pass first time.

Some regional airports, will pay for training usually after a fairly long period of employment as an Air Traffic Services assistant. Then you can expect a 2-3 year bond after ATCO training, and sometimes thats per rating.

Like you suggest, try the NATS route, it may seem to take a while, but if you are succesful you will be earning far more immediately, and if successfull, you will have a guaranteed position after training (unlike self funding).

As was said before, you can't talk to Air traffic anymore with a mentor, until you have passed the relevant exams at an approved college ( a bloody shame ).:}

ILS 119.5
27th Aug 2005, 00:04
Unfortunately the old days have gone and ATC has to be done by approved courses, which I agree with. However I could teach radar control in my back garden. When I went through the college in the early 80's the simulation was basic, no ATC college course prepares anyone for the real world of ATC. My ATPL was so different as you guys will know, hands on experience from first lesson until passing the finals, and of course all the bookwork in between the actual flying, then the sim time and more bookwork, line sector training etc. The ATC training route to qualify is a waste of time for the students but has to be done, then if passing then they can do the real thing.
If I was running an ATC Center or Airport I would start everbody from scratch.
AREA UNITS:
1.Assistant until experienced (2 years)
2.Area Radar/Procedural Training under supervision for a required period, (assessed to be good enough)
3. College course for the theory.
4.Final Radar on live unit for validatation.
APPROACH UNITS:
Very similar depending on the ratings required.
This all dates back to the good old way of ATC training when people were better assessed with less cost, and any further failures were better accommodated.
In my opinion I should have gone straight into flying it is easier, but, for those of you who are going into ATC then good luck and I wish you all the best. Just go along with the system. It may not be the best but you have to adhere to it and pass it.
Just a thought for you promising ATCO's.
How many ATCO's have changed careers to be Airline Pilots and how many failed cadets (in my day), now students, have now become Airline Pilots?. I'll think you will find there are a lot.
Rgds ILS 119.5

Scott Voigt
28th Aug 2005, 06:11
Sure glad that I didn't have to pay to get trained when I went through...