PDA

View Full Version : (Pathetic ATc)Station calling Goma!!

vanman208b
19th Aug 2005, 14:24
How is it possible for the UN to be so safety First but when it comes to there Aircraft landing and taking off ,this "safety First " Catch fraise seems to go right out the storm window.Dealing with local Atc in The congo is like asking a 2 year old to count to 5.Imagine being cleared to line up while there is a DC9 aproaching on the reciprical..MMMMM interesting.I wonder where do all those occurence reports go..and yet nothing gets done about the ioncompetance of these controllers:confused:

Pierre Argh
20th Aug 2005, 10:50
More information required to elicite valuable comment, however:

a. One assumes that you were speaking to a controller not a Flight information Service (i.e. Line Up would be at your discretion... not a control instruction, albeit perhaps untimely advice).

b. Who did you file the Occurence report through? There should be an auditable trail, Follow it up and ask to see what action is/has been taken?

Fox3snapshot
20th Aug 2005, 17:36
As many countries ban aircraft regitered in the Democratic Republic of Congo from operating in and out of their airfields, it would come as no surprise that the whole aviation infrastructure there may be questionable.
:ugh:

DFC
22nd Aug 2005, 09:30
Far to little information hre to make any sort of decision regarding ATC competence. Some questions;

How far out was the arrival?

Was the arriving aircraft landing into wind or were you taking off into the wind (or was it calm)?

Was the arriving aircraft cleared to land?

Were you cleared to take-off?

Was the arriving aircraft making an approach followed by a circle to land?

I have often been lined up on the runway in such places as the UK when another was making an approach to the other end. We get cleared for take-off as soon as the arrival settles into the circle to land part of the procedure - they call it expedition / reduced separation i the vicinity in the UK.

Check out ICAO 4444 for details of the latest time you can be cleared take-off with an IFR guy making a straight in approach to the other end - you may get a shock.

But then again it could simply be Africa!

Regards,

DFC

vanman208b
22nd Aug 2005, 11:00
The aproaching aircraft was cleared to land after we had been cleared to line up.But yes this is Africa and what im really trying to get at is the UN is so worried about everything else and not focusing at the problem at large -Aviation security/safety.After all it everyone to there own i gues.The controlers are just not up to scratch and some even battle with standard phraiseology.
The reports get sent directly to head of Un security and safety and directly to the aircraft operater.there just seems to be a missing link somewhere.........:hmm:

M609
22nd Aug 2005, 11:16
Ghana sent a group of seasoned controllers to the Swedish ATS academy 4 years ago for radar training. All but 1 failed big time.

....all went home and started working without any OJT or validation.....

Says a lot about the standards of (some) african controllers! :uhoh:

Scott Voigt
22nd Aug 2005, 19:16
You make it sound like the UN madates all this stuff. It doesn't. People who sign up to work within ICAO promise that they will abide by the rules, however they are allowed to have exceptions to the rules, and if they don't follow them, there are no UN sanctions as it were against them. ICAO is pretty toothless.

regards

Scott

Fox3snapshot
23rd Aug 2005, 20:40
:ok: Spot on mate...!

Some even make their own! :ugh: