PDA

View Full Version : AIr Traffic Service Assistants

r5_cw_gtt
18th Aug 2005, 22:36
I am keen on becoming an an atco unfortunately i got knocked back in the final stage and have to wait till febuary to apply again.
I have seen the post of air traffic service assistants advertised.
Just seeing if anyone as more info on these.
As how much do they differ from air traffic control assistants?

Most importantly would you be able to work your way up to an air traffic control operator from this position??

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks

Craig

CAP670
19th Aug 2005, 07:33
I assume that you're talking about NATS ATSAs?

Becoming an ATSA doesn't automatically lead to being selected for ATCO training. To be effectively 're-employed' as a Trainee ATCO you'd have to go through exactly the same selection process and aptitude testing. Additionally, if accepted you would not - if you subsequently failed ATCO training - be guaranteed a re-grading back into the ATSA role and so could be out of a job.

That said, employment as an ATSA would give you valuable additional insight and so build your wider knowledge and understanding of ATC and the ATCO's role.

Whether this is ultimately, something that contributes in a positive way to succeeding as an ATCO trainee is a subject of hot debate. As an ATCO who started out life as an ATSA I'd say it does help but that's just a subjective personal opinion with which others might take issue.

It does depend on what aspects you fell down on during the selection process. If there's doubt that you'll be either called forward or be successful a second time then I'd go for the ATSA post.

But if you feel you've got a 75% chance of getting through this time, then maybe you should wait; there's only 18 weeks to go until Christmas and then February arrives shortly afterwards!!

As regards non-NATS employers, unless employed as a 'Student ATCO' once again, there's no guaranteed path to ATCO from the ATSA grade. However, opportunities do arise for those ATSAs who show aptitude. But the opportunities are less frequent.

By the way - we're "air traffic controllers" or "air traffic control officers" - there's no such animal as an "air traffic control operator" except perhaps in the minds of those 'experts' who'd like to see the human element in ATC replaced entirely by flight-deck and ground-based computers. The same 'experts' who believe tabloid reports of London buses being found on the far side of the moon...

Good luck with whichever route you choose!

:ok:

r5_cw_gtt
19th Aug 2005, 09:59
Thanks very much for your valuable reply.
Gave me much to think about.

If i did become an atsa now would it still be ok for me to apply as normal to become a trainee atc in a few months time in Febuary?

Yeah i have heard a few people say it might not be a good thing cause people automatically assume that after being an atsa that they will defo get the job as a trainee atc!
But thats surely jst arrogance and if u dont go in with that attitude it cant be a bad thing!??!!

Thanks

Craig

Dan Dare
19th Aug 2005, 10:34
There are financial advantages of being a NATS ATSA prior to going to the college.

As an ATSA there is a more reasonable starting salary than Student ATCO and you would keep that pay earning significantly more than your collegues at the college. You would be also be increasing your pension contributions in our excellent final salary pension scheme. Extra years at the beginning increase your chances of early retirement on full pernsion at the end. NATS is also reconsidering the pension for new-hires, so the earlier you get in the more chance you have of getting the good deal.

If your goal is to be an ATCO, then I can see no negatives to taking an ATSA job first.

r5_cw_gtt
19th Aug 2005, 10:48
Thanks!
Yip thats my goal!

Only worry is that if i get this job then i am apply for trainee atc in 6 months not sure if they would be to happy about that or would want me to wait a few years first!

Anyway i defo agree with you i cannot see no negatives to going for this job!

Jst got to write my covering letter up!!:hmm:

Thanks

Craig

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Aug 2005, 11:01
<<Anyway i defo agree with you i cannot see no negatives to going for this job!

Jst got to write my covering letter up!! >>

Good luck.... but do "proof" read your letter and make sure it looks good..

r5_cw_gtt
19th Aug 2005, 17:08
Lol Yeah see what you are saying.

That was jst a quick post before i went to work!

English is not my stongest subject more of a maths geek!

:O

Thanks again for all advice

craig

Willie
19th Aug 2005, 20:32
Be very careful! As a cynical old sod I have seen young and keen people sold down the river on the promise of an ATCO course. Get it in black and white, and if there's any doubt hold out for the controllers' course. You have to go for the career you want not what others would like you to do.

mocoman
19th Aug 2005, 23:42
Craig,

I don't think you have anything to lose by applying for the ATSA position.....If you have ability and conviction then at least you are on the inside and can apply for other positions or training while already gaining experience.

However, do not be under any illusion that NATS are advertising the positions this way for anything other than a specific reason.

These opportunities seem not to be full-working-life staff positions and may not accrue the same benefits and pension rights that you might expect. Read the small print in the contract carefully if you are fortunate enough to get to that stage.

The HR recruitment posting says they are "short-term contract" positions. While this does not mean they are necessarily short-lived, only that the T&C of the positions are on a shorter-term rolling contract, there must be a reason for this approach.

It would seem that this technique may allow NATS to reduce their staff pension or redundancy liability over time while keeping their cards close to their chest over any planned ATSA reductions in the coming years.

NATS Operational Expenditure Plans 2004/5-2010/11 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/5/ergdocs/natsopexreview.pdf)

:)