PDA

View Full Version : Flying in a helicopter over London

airspeed999
18th Aug 2005, 19:08
It's something I've always wanted to do. My boss has just done it on a business trip and she's made me green with envy showing me amazing pictures she took.
If there are any PPLH's here who'd take me on a cost-sharing arrangement when they have a spare seat one day, I'd happily pay my share.
The pilot told her helicopters can fly low level right across Heathrow. That would be fantastic, but even if it was just over London that would be marvellous.

Beggars can't be choosers but I'd prefer if it wasn't in a Robinson. I know bigger helicopters cost more btu I'm prepared for that.

Thanks, and in hope
Sally

BRL
18th Aug 2005, 19:50
Hi Sally, good timing this. I asked about it recently and one of our more esteemed contributors on the forum said he'd be prepared to take me on a flight over the London helicopter lanes.

Could also include the low level cross Heathrow which i believe is amazing.

Flight would be from Wycombe or possibly Denham. It would involve three passengers in a Jetranger sharing the cost four ways with the pilot.

Is anyone else interested if I can arrange it?

We could possibly combine it with a mini-forum gathering.

(and check your email.............) :)

rotorcraig
18th Aug 2005, 21:11
It is indeed an excellent trip; particularly the Heathrow low level crossing.

Here are a couple of clips (first posted in the PPRuNe "Personal Flying Vidoes" thread some time ago) taken by 221B and myself from an R44 while flying the London Heli-Lanes (thanks to SteveR for hosting them):

Shots of London following the heli-lane along the Thames from East to West, Millenium Dome to the Battersea Heliport (39Mb): London (http://beast.gxn.net/spr/videos/london.mpg)

Shots of Heathrow following the heli-lane South to North (24Mb): Heathrow (http://beast.gxn.net/spr/videos/heathrow.mpg)

RC

MyData
19th Aug 2005, 07:52
Wow - the footage over Heathrow is quite spectacular. How long are you allowed to 'loiter' before getting asked to move along ;-)

Flying Lawyer
19th Aug 2005, 08:43
MyData

It doesn't happen very often but, if you're really unlucky, you're cleared straight across with no holding over the central taxi-ways. Fine if you need to get somewhere in a hurry, but disappointing if the whole point of crossing is to enjoy the specacular view. ;)

airspeed999
22nd Aug 2005, 11:59
BRL

Thanx for the message.

A jetranger flight sounds fab to me. I'd love to fly across the airport if possible but even just over London would be amazing.

I'll watch out for news. :D

Sally

boomerangben
22nd Aug 2005, 12:15
Thanks for the Heathrow clip - brought back fond memories.

KMS, Do they let you hover now? I was always told to orbit. And they always asked me if I could see traffic at 4 mile final when I was facing the wrong way. I am sure they did it on purpose!!!

One of the true great flights in the UK :ok:

BRL
22nd Aug 2005, 13:16
And they always asked me if I could see traffic at 4 mile final when I was facing the wrong way. :D :D :D :D

Vedeneyev
23rd Aug 2005, 12:03
Call me curmudgeonly, but doesn't the cost sharing rule only apply to private flights that haven't been 'advertised'?!

Gingerbread Man
23rd Aug 2005, 13:14
You're curmudgeonly ;)

Bye! I'm going to look-up what that means...

Ginge :)

BRL
23rd Aug 2005, 13:33
That is possibly why there is no active thread about it..... ;)

wildstream
24th Aug 2005, 17:03
Try FUH they have a couple of Jetranger 206's, they are in luton area.

pilotwolf
24th Aug 2005, 20:05
Tried to email you but without luck... pm me?

PW

Heliport
25th Aug 2005, 20:03
Vedeneyev

I hesitate to accept your invitation to call you curmudgeonly (although it was very tempting ;) ) but how/why/where do you say the flight has been advertised?

Airspeed Sally said she'd love to fly in a helicopter over London - a wonderful experience - and would be happy to pay her share if someone has a spare seat some time.

If someone had responded saying he/she would be prepared to take her on a cost-sharing basis, would that be advertising a flight?

BRL responded saying he'd just arranged with a friend to take him in a JetRanger over London and the low level LHR crossing (an amazing experience for anyone interested in aviation) and he'd find out if there was a spare seat for Sally.
Is that advertising a flight?

BRL also asked if anyone else would be interested in flying over London/LHR if he could arrange it for them.
Is that advertising a flight?

:confused:

tony norman
25th Aug 2005, 22:44
what is the cost for this sort of 'adventure'??? id be curious as i'd love to make this sort of trip.....