PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth down

OpenCirrus619
18th Aug 2005, 12:24
Just saw this. Has anyone heard anything more?

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/4162862.stm)

OC

javelin
18th Aug 2005, 13:52
Well it's registered to an aviation company, not privately so possibly it was on pleasure flight - hope they are both OK :uhoh:

Flying Lawyer
18th Aug 2005, 15:20
I've been told unconfirmed the aircraft is operated by Delta Aviation - one of those companies which sells (rather expensive) 'vouchers' for various flying experiences.

Jetscream 32
18th Aug 2005, 17:05
Hope their ok - and that its just cuts and bruises??

This is a real hot potato in the beehive at present and could potentially be the straw that breaks the camels back regarding "real trial lessons" and almost full blown Commercial pleasure flights, that require a Jar Ops 1?? :confused:

bar shaker
18th Aug 2005, 18:16
Post on another forum suggests the injuries may be more serious that first thought.

Delta Aviation
19th Aug 2005, 09:38
Please find a Press Statement from Delta Aviation issued last night. This statement provides the facts about the incident on 18 August. We hope this sets the record straight.

PRESS STATEMENT: ISSUED 18 AUGUST at 20:00

Delta Aviation confirms that one of its fleet of de Havilland Tiger Moth aircraft (G-ACDJ) was involved in an accident on 18 August 2005. The pilot and passenger onboard were airlifted to hospital but both subsequently died of their injuries.

The aircraft had been leased to a private individual as part of a long standing agreement with the Company and was being operated from White Waltham. The flight was being flown by an experienced PPL.

Delta Aviation cannot comment on the reason for the incident. As a professional flight experience operator it is not appropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident, particularly as the aeroplane was not being operated by our staff. As in all situations of this nature, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch is working to establish the facts surrounding the landing and Delta Aviation is working closely with the AAIB to provide background information on the aircraft. This investigation process has already begun.

Our thoughts are with the friends and family of the pilot and passenger at this difficult time. We have lost two fellow aviators who were as passionate about flying as we are.

We will not be issuing any further statement at this time.

Delta Aviation

VC10 Rib22
20th Aug 2005, 10:35
Over the last few weeks I have been watching this beautiful aircraft arrive and depart several times per day, as it passed by my classroom at Kidlington. When I watched the incident scene on the TV news I had a bad feeling it was the same aircraft, which proved to be the case. Even though I know it is by far the safest form of transport, I guess it brought home to me each time I fly in an aircraft it really is on a wing and a prayer.

Condolences to the relatives of the deceased. If the passenger was indeed on a gift voucher flight, one can only imagine the pain and anguish the friend/relative who bought the voucher could be feeling, but they are not responsible.......sadly, sometimes these things just happen.

VC10 Rib22

:(

Crosswind Limits
21st Aug 2005, 06:27
VC10 Rib22,

If you read what Delta Aviation said it implied that it was not a trial lesson as the aircraft had been leased to a private individual.

More importantly, General Aviation is not the safest form of transport, you are confusing commercial airline operations which no doubt is!

VC10 Rib22
25th Sep 2005, 14:25
Crosswind Limits,

Thanks for clarifying that although I meant flying in general not specifically G.A., which I realise cannot be compared to Commercial in terms of safety.

VC10 Rib22