PDA

View Full Version : Flying clubs in Gibraltar

Flying Fokker
18th Aug 2005, 01:08
Anyone know any? Web address or telephone details would be great! Thanks!!!

tmmorris
18th Aug 2005, 11:24
There's only the one runway, shared with the RAF, so as there's no RAF club there I doubt it.

Your nearest RAF flying club to Gib is... Akrotiri...

Tim

RPMcMurphy
18th Aug 2005, 12:13
There used to be an outfit flying a tomahawk there about 10 years ago, but they left ages ago. Must have been interesting flying your first solo around the rock over the sea.... each circuit used to last about 15 minutes! I think there is still a club at Velez-Malaga, about 10 miles NE of Malaga futher up the coast.

neilmac
19th Aug 2005, 14:42
When I was at Gib the nearest place I could get GA flight was Malaga. Watch out for the windshear around the Rock!!

Tigger4Me
19th Aug 2005, 23:06
I think there is still a club at Velez-Malaga, about 10 miles NE of Malaga futher up the coast.
I think that there is a club a little closer than that in Malaga itself. You can get details here (http://www.aero-club.org/ale/default.htm).

Jinkster
21st Aug 2005, 15:56
Didnt see anything whilst I was there a few weeks ago....damn shame though!!

Maybe a little business venture for someone! :cool:

S-Works
22nd Aug 2005, 11:41
It would be a very restricted business as you have nowhere to fly to. Spain is out as they wont allow flight that originate or terminate in Gib to land in spain. Next stop would be morroco i guess.

you would get pretty bored of flying around the island!

Jinkster
22nd Aug 2005, 17:22
Bose-X,

Very true and I thought Spain was in the EU!

:hmm:

EGXX
28th Aug 2005, 17:18
Flying club wouldnt be very feasable. Very high landing fees an lack of hangerage. Just as far as Malaga though but the other way is Jerez! Much nicer than Malaga coast as it hasnt been hit by the tourist rade yet. Nice an unspoilt!
And thats right, a/c from Gib cannot land in Spain unless they decalre an emergency. Other places you can go to are either Tangier in Morocco , or Faro in Portugal for eg.
15 minutes to do 1 circuit!? how slow were u going!? normally not even 10 mins to complete 1 circuit!! Put it this way, for one circuit, they got time to open the road for vehicles for a minute or two, but pedestrians have to wait as theres not enough time to cross the runway!

RPMcMurphy
28th Aug 2005, 19:43
You might know me if you were an assistant there....:D The tomahawk took 12 to 15 minutes per circuit as it had to completely circumnavigate the rock and pick it's way past some biggish ships in the moorings. This, coupled with the landaway restrictions and the lack of much interest from the local population (youngsters too interested in matt black power boats) spelt out the death knell for any serious training establishment. We could reduce the time needed to clear the road cos they were so slow compared to the other usual types that used Gib. They only lasted one summer (1996 I think) before moving back to the UK. We had a Teal amphibian operating there at the same time doing pleasure trips around the rock and up the bay... I think he stayed just over a year. If I remember rightly the tomahawk had dispensation to operate within the arrester gear assemblies as well.
Ta.

172driver
31st Aug 2005, 11:56
Tigger4Me:

The club you are referring to actually IS in Malaga. The web address you give is correct. They are both an FBO and a school with about 12-14 a/c.

There is one (very small) in Velez Malaga (LEAX).

EGXX:

The Jerez outfit is, AFAIK, a school only, European Flyers or something similar.

Correction / Addendum:

Got intrigued by the query and did a little Google - and hey, presto! came up with this:

http://www.fly-in-spain.de/index.html

Sounds interesting, will check 'em out myself.

And you're all right - w/o declaring an emergency you cannot fly directly between Spain and Gibraltar. This rule seems to be relaxing a little, as since Feb or so this year you can file Gibraltar as alternate (a no-no in earlier times).