PDA

View Full Version : CAA charging scheme consultation

G-KEST
15th Aug 2005, 22:04
This may well be the longest post ever on Pprune but it just might be worth you taking some action as the CAA intend to make us all considerably poorer.

I attach my own submission in response to the CAA charging scheme proposals which might come into force in January 2006. The final date for responses to be received by the CAA is 5 September 2005. I hope you find my thoughts of interest and I would appreciate any suggestions for change since the CAA has told me that amendments are permissible but only up to the final submission date.

It is absolutely imperative that all of us in General Aviation participate in this exercise as "stakeholders". We have been invited to do so by Mike Bell, the Group Director, Safety Regulation himself. It is my feeling that SRG are, to a certain extent, embarrassed by the size of the charge increases in many cases. It is the Big Guns of civil aviation who have put so much pressure on Sir Roy McNulty to initiate the JRT process and, probably, the manner in which the JRT was constituted as far as GA representation was concerned. A really huge adverse reaction by General Aviation enthusiasts might sway the balance in our favour.

The biggest complainant was, I understand, British Airways whose current problems make their perception of a cross subsidy in favour of GA very small beer indeed. They are at present reputed to be losing in one day 2.5 times the annual sum they were grumbling about to the CAA FAC and chairman. How are the high and mighty fallen.....!!!

Obviously any duplicated submission is not going to receive much detailed attention by the CAA so please feel free to select from my own ideas those you find particularly apt in your own cases.

The web address for this saga at the CAA is -
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=850&pagetype=90&pageid=4950
You will find the relevant response form in that section and this is the only format acceptable to the Authority so please take time to use it. I found it reasonably straightforward.

Rest assured, in my personal opinion, if we do not act due to the usual GA apathetic approach then we do deserve all we will get. It is no use grumbling later when it hits us all in one form or other.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

General comment

As long as the JRT report remains on the table at the CAA it hangs like the proverbial Diocletian sword over the head of UK General Aviation. Not especially in this round of consultation but certainly for the future.

The leaked first draft of the JRT report back in the early months of 2005 showed the CAA what a wind they had sown. They did indeed reap the whirlwind in terms of letters and emails to the CAA chairman, the DfT and to members of Parliament. This has caused many of the JRT original proposals to be watered down in this round of consultation.

The thrust of the complaint by the larger UK aviation industry that they subsidise GA totally fails to acknowledge the debt they owe to GA. This in terms of the supply of aircrew, often self sponsored to achieving the professional licences necessary. The same is true of aircraft engineers and other technicians, many of whom are "poached" from GA. Often regional airports have only developed to their present capacity thanks to the previous level of movements by GA aircraft over many decades. Aircraft that are often no longer welcome or subject to punitive levels of user charge.

It has to be remembered that the larger commercial end of UK civil aviation enjoys benefits GA does not share. Examples are such as the ridiculously low rate of duty on turbine fuel as opposed to Avgas. No VAT on airline tickets. The ability to pay for goods and services out of income before tax rather than after as is the case in the majority of GA end users.

From a safety aspect the majority of GA pilots pay for their flying out of a pot of disposable taxed income which competes with all other aspects of life involving expense. If the costs of flying go up then, unfortunately, the pot remains the same and less flying can be afforded. Even perhaps to the extent of folk giving up altogether. If an individual can afford less flying each year then he or she will be less proficient due to lack of recency and currency. This might well lead to an increase in the GA accident rate. Surely this is not what does the Safety Regulation Group of the CAA intend. Whether intended or not it is likely to happen.

Finally, and most importantly, the UK air display industry provides what has become the second most popular form of outdoor public entertainment in this country. It attracts over 6 million spectators annually to watch some of the most exciting visual and aural aerial acts by both military and civilian aircraft and aircrew. There is little doubt that this reinforces the benefits of aviation to a huge cross section of our population and contributes in no small way to air-mindedness here in the UK. Air-mindedness that is absolutely vital to "UK Limited" when it comes to public support for aviation especially when applies to decision making in local councils and at Westminster along with the European Parliament.

It is indeed a tragedy that the protestations to the current CAA chairman of their failure to win the argument within the FAC has now resulted in this hugely expensive work by the JRT which might have a disastrous effect on the segment of UK aviation that really subsidises the airline industry. This both in the current round of consultation and those in the future years.

I turn now to detailed comment on your, potentially ruinous for GA proposals.

(continued in the next instalment)

(continued from part one)

Consultation document on CAA charges

Paragraph 1

Only one GA representative organisation, the BBGA, was a member of the appointed JRT. This despite urgent protestations to the CAA chairman by AOPA(UK), as an FAC member, to be included. No representation whatsoever was included from the sporting and recreational element of GA. An element that is the largest by far in terms of participants in UK civil aviation.

Paragraph 2

In any case the only voices on the FAC from private, sporting and recreational aviation in the UK are from the private pilot membership of AOPA and the RAeC of the UK. Such organisations as the PFA, BMAA, BGA, BHPA, BPA, HCGB, LFA, FFA, BBAC and the BMFA among many others have no place at a forum which can determine the financial future, or otherwise, of their aviation pleasures in life.

The time recording system introduced right across SRG from 1997 was not, at the time I retired in 1998, in any way mature. This then lead to a haphazard allocation of working hours by individual staff. There is no doubt that, on the basis of the TRS data - itself subject to an independent analysis, there is an element of cross subsidy but no account is taken of the benefits to the airlines and the airport system provided in the form of provision of personnel who have obtained their qualifications and training while in GA, often at their own personal expense with no element of sponsorship.

Paragraphs 3 and 4

There needed to be an additional principle as follows-
"To evaluate the benefit to UK Limited and to the "heavy" AOC operators and larger regional airports provided by GA in terms of the supply of professional aircrew and licensed engineers along with GA aircraft movements which boost the possibility of an airport obtaining some variety of controlled airspace.

No mention is made of the minority report submitted by the BBGA along with the JRT report to the CAA chairman.

Paragraph 5

I consider this a distorted view since the voice of private, sporting and recreational general aviation was not heard within the JRT deliberations.

Charging principle 1.
It is vital to remember that, to the very best of my knowledge, aviation is the only UK industry or activity to bear the cost of its own policy and regulation. All others have such costs borne by government departments from general taxation. This has been the case since the CAA was set up in 1972 though the phasing in of charges was done over a period of years. The only single aspect paid for by the DfT is that of AREIB in terms of their investigation and enforcement role where 100% of their costs are reimbursed.

Charging principle 2.
On a personal basis I do not accept this since, to my knowledge from 1984 to 1998, the CAA did not engage in navel gazing or self-evaluation. Efficiency is not measured or risk-benefit analysis undertaken or even if the process could not be more efficiently delegated to industry or the representative bodies.

Charging principle 3.
This is only valid if sensible and appropriate. I really do doubt if the time allocation system is accurate since wasted time is always considered to be zero but does in reality form a significant proportion of any individual’s working day.
Additionally no account is taken in terms of those on the ground who benefit from safety in aviation.
It is demonstrably unfair to pass on to GA any under-recovery to merely balance the books.

Charging principle 4.
Why not pass on non-statutory activity undertaken by the CAA and in particular the General Aviation Department, to outside organisations such as CHIRP and GASCo. Third parties on the surface benefit from SRG work in terms of such malodorous aspects as the precipitous falls of "blue ice" from the skies. Surely the DfT should foot the bill here.
Is there any "loss leader" consideration in costing CAA courses for foreign agencies in terms of enhancing the possibility of future overseas contracts?

Charging principle 5.
My perception of the real GA subsidy to "heavy" AOC operators must be accepted. The retiring British Airways CEO\'s remarks recently did nothing to reduce his, possible unwarranted, reputation within GA as being descended from those who were deported as criminals from the UK to his native country or, alternatively, face execution.

Charging principle 6.
It is absolutely essential that any aspect must be agreed by industry in terms of it being both necessary and appropriate. There can be no "blank cheques" here if GA is to survive, never mind thrive and prosper.

Charging principles 9/10/11.
In my experience prior to 1998 the cost of dealing with enquiries from the public and MP\'s was not charged out back o the DfT for repayment. The enormous cost of policy work leading to legislative change was never charged out to the DfT. It should be as otherwise they would have to duplicate the expertise in SRG - a nugatory exercise indeed.

Paragraph 6

I am of the opinion that the CAA has not significantly reduced its staff in terms of voluntary or compulsory redundancy with the advent of EASA. Some staff have voted with their feet in terms of moving to EASA or industry employment. The staff unions, of which I am a retired member, will certainly oppose any redundancies to the last ditch, of that I am certain. The costs to SRG will be enormous. Who is to pay???

If insurance costs to SRG are rising then may I respectfully suggest you find another broker or underwriter. It is a competitive market out there. Use it.

The increases in charges made for FY 2004/5 in percentage terms went up by approximately 1.6%, a figure in line with UK inflation. You decided not to introduce a revised scheme of charges to come into force for FY 2005/6 that, if the same sort of percentage increase had been applied, would have gone through almost without significant comment from industry or GA interests. That was your decision and, frankly, your mistake in terms of revenue. Do not put the financial blame onto GA to attempt to rectify your mistake.

I note your comment that "the CAA continually strives to reduce the overall cost of regulation and the regulatory impact on all sections of the aviation community". Times seem to have changed.

The JRT report is still on the CAA financial departments table. Its implications are fairly clear from the table in para 6. In particular the GA and AAC schemes income is planned to rise from 211K in FY2005/6 to 395K in FY 2007/8, a difference of 184K. This represents a percentage increase of over 87% over three years or 29% per year - a truly swingeing increase that will impact GA very seriously.

Paragraph 7

AOC/POC schemes.

Your proposals will have the effect of seriously damaging the sub 15 MT AOC operators financial viability to the extent that you risk seeing many go to the wall. Do you want this to happen? If so then remember all those professional aircrew who gain their initial commercial experience with such operators. This to the benefit of the "heavy" AOC operators who then "poach" them from their smaller brethren.

GA and AAC schemes.

Apparently some two thirds of GAD costs are now paid for by "heavy" AOC operators. This possibly equates to the costs incurred in policy aspects by a significant proportion of GAD staff, both FSO\'s and administrative. Surely this does need to be paid for by the DfT as, in the absence of the CAA and especially GAD within SRG, they would have to provide the required level of expertise from their own government departmental resources no matter what Gordon Brown might think.

You state the assumption that volumes will remain similar to those in 2005/6. I really do think you are underestimating the damaging effect your charging scheme proposals will have on the level of activity. This in many areas, not merely that of GA and AAC activity.

I note your intention to conduct a review of GAD activity and have seen the letter from the CAA chairman sent out to representative organisations recently. I commend the idea but dread to think just who will be appointed to any review team bearing in mind the vital need for a real appreciation of the art of the possible in GA. An appreciation somewhat rarely found in my own experience.

Your charging proposals in this scheme amount to an increase of approximately 8.4% in the effective period April 2004 to January 2006 or some 33 months. This equates to approximately 3.3% per annum. Even this is above the rate of UK inflation.

The outraged reaction to the leaked JRT draft report almost certainly had a huge impact on the CAA as a result of pressure from individual "stakeholders", MP\'s, the DfT and, I believe significantly, by the avalanche of protesting letters and emails which thumped onto the desk of the CAA chairman. I bet Sir Roy McNulty\'s PA wore out several letter openers and consumed much of the remaining Amazon rain forest in dealing with them. I am reminded of that wonderful phrase beloved of Sergeant Jones of "Dads Army" fame - "They do not like having it up them..............!!!!!!!!". How true, how very true.

Aerodrome licensing etc scheme.

Licensed ATC is not necessary for GA in terms of probably 98% of that done in the UK in day VFR "see and avoid" conditions.

The efforts of the joint CAA/GA industry Light Aviation Airports Study Group which has had some 6 meetings so far in 2005 may well remove the need for virtually all small licensed aerodromes to have any form of CAA regulated licence. A measure long overdue for the last 39 years to my certain knowledge. It should be noted that the FAA regulates only 10% of all the aerodromes in the USA in any way. Even then their oversight is a "paperwork" exercise by submitting a box-ticked proforma. Any physical inspection process by the FAA is only as a result of an accident or incident in order to check the veracity of the placed ticks.

The derogation in terms of movements by heavier aircraft than appropriate for the category of aerodrome licence is to be reduced from the present "less than 700 movements in the busiest quarter" to "less than 25 per annum". The mind boggles at the magnitude of the potential reduction in numbers. Why.........??? Are you insinuating that your policy up to now has been too permissive....??? Surely not.

The current Aerodrome licensing charges are incorrectly quoted in terms of the lowest category aerodrome day only licence at present available but now to be discontinued whether or not any night flying is possible at a particular venue.

The increases proposed for both aerodrome and ATC licensing are horrendous. Percentage increases of 386% for aerodromes accepting aircraft of between 2.73 and 6 MT are suggested and ATC provision at aerodromes employing up to five ATCO\'s are intended to rise by 500%. Have you any concept of the damage this will cause...???

(continued in part three)

(continued from part two)

Personnel licensing scheme.

You propose a new charge, for the approval of microlight schools offering FIC, of £280 with a, presumably annual, renewal charge of £250. This for work that could be done by the BMAA as is, I understand, presently done for SLMG FIC training by BGA clubs.

Charges for the initial and renewal of both private and professional pilots licences are to rise by approximately 7% and 9% per annum respectively. An increase well in excess of inflation. It is not beyond the wit of man or even the CAA to delegate the administrative element of the issue or renewal of a pilots licence, especially those in the private sector, to industry, as has been the case with the NPPL. This with no adverse safety implication and a huge financial benefit to both the CAA and to those outside.

Airworthiness etc scheme.

Your proposal to introduce a charge of £1675 for "stand alone" Part M subpart G and F for aircraft weighing up to 5.7 MT is iniquitous bearing in mind such approval will usually be funded by an individual or very small company.

Permits to Fly are to be subject to horrendous level of increase in charges that will affect non-PFA or BMAA administered aircraft. These include all "warbirds" and ex-military jet types. Your current income here is £156K and this is proposed to rise to £663K, some 425% over 4.5 years or about 94% per annum. What a disastrous increase for the operators of, what might well be termed "heritage", aircraft that contribute enormously to the living history of UK aviation.

Permit charges for those aircraft less than 2730 kg will rise by 23% as will the maximum charges imposed on such aircraft. Huge increases once more that directly impact on the private GA owner operator.

I note in one of the documents reference to the cost of CAA staff time being, inclusive of overheads, £172 per hour. Assuming a 7 hour working day, a 5 day working week and a 48 week working year with an 80% efficiency factor to allow for sickness and other absences this gives a 1344 hours per annum. If this figure is multiplied by £172 then the cost becomes £231,168. Assuming an overhead margin of 100% of labour cost then the salary cost per CAA employee is now £115,584. Salaries seem to have risen by over 250% since I retired in 1998 though my CAA pension has not. This by a factor of, possibly, 10 despite its index linking. The IPMS has achieved veritable wonders in terms of improvements in terms and conditions for its members and others in SRG in but seven years. Nevertheless I do prefer retirement to the Belgrano. Later in another document I have noticed that an FSO in GAD costs £84 per hour as opposed to the £172 quoted above for a surveyor in DMSD. My previous remarks on the level of salary increases are thus negated since the £84 per hour would give an annual salary level of £56,448, a figure not too far removed from my final salary by approximately 25% or around 3% pa index linking. I do wonder however as a professional pilot FSO qualified in many disciplines how I was valued at less than half the worth of a surveyor in DMSD. Supply and demand I suppose. As long as there is no well-remunerated work outside the RAF for navigators or for medically rejected civil airline flight deck crew the CAA will have a ready supply of professional aircrew to fill FSO vacancies. However from time to time, and I submit from a degree of personal experience, a questionable efficiency potential.

Charges for approval of organisations are intended to rise by 168% over three years or 56% per annum. This will have an awful financial implication to those affected and will cause an immediate increase in the charges to their customers.

Aircraft registration scheme.

There is to be a 20% increase in aircraft registration scheme charges. This, presumably, to justify the additional expense imposed by the CAA adopting the checking of aircraft insurance imposed by new EU requirements. The DfT should bear these costs since it is their legislation that has given rise to them.

(thats all folks - hope you read it all.

To whom it might interest –

Initial draft prepared in period mid July to mid August 2005 and finally crafted into CAA acceptable format on15 August 2005

Cheers,

Trapper 69

:mad: :mad:

RVR800
18th Aug 2005, 08:40
G - KEST

An excellent post and all your points are well made

It is important to voice concerns about this otherwise the 'stakeholders' will just be the usual large vested interests that only have self-interest at heart.

We need deregulation in the GA sector to reduce costs not more costs to fuel ever greater admin overhead.

G-KEST
22nd Aug 2005, 08:24
RVR800,
Many thanks for your kind comments. It is vital that ALL OF US who manage to aviate on a fixed amount of disposable income make a personal response to the Campaign Against Aviation on these iniquitous proposals. It takes but an hour or so using, perhaps, some of my points that affect you personally on the email response form at -
www.caa.co.uk/charges
For goodness sake do not let the normal GA apathy syndrome allow the CAA to get this one through. YOUR VOTE COUNTS.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

G-KEST
25th Aug 2005, 22:46
Hello there,

Here is a sanitised version of my consolidated response, finalised and sent today, 25 August, and fully de-personalised. It is vital to get any submission off using the CAA website response form by, at the latest in my opinion, next Friday 2 September 2005.

The response form and other information is available through -
www.caa.co.uk/charges
It is quite straightforward and easy to complete using a copy and paste technique.

Many of you, I hope, will have already sent off your response in which case I do apologise for troubling you with this email.

It is absolutely imperative that all of the "stakeholders" in General Aviation make a strong, robust and, especially, a negative response to keep up the pressure on the Authority to abandon these iniquitous charging proposals that will be so damaging to GA community at large. Failure to do so would, in my considered opinion, be unforgivable.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

Document 1: General comments
Comment 1:
An unfortunate likely effect acceptance of the current charging scheme under consultation on the viability of General Aviation commercial businesses and the continued employment of those who work in them. Not only for the FY2006/7 but for the eventual life of the JRT report proposals and future CAA SRG charging schemes.

Most of General Aviation is paid for by the end user out of taxed disposable income. This, in many cases, is a small amount.

If the cost of flying goes up then, unless the rise is less or the same as my income increase then one can afford to spend less on flying. Less flying means less spent with those who provide goods and services to enable one to fly. That inevitably has a deleterious effect on the viability of those concerns and, ultimately, on those employed by them.

At this time does UK Limited and the present government wish to see businesses failing and skilled specialist employees thrown out of work?

Another, perhaps more serious aspect, is that less flying may well result in an increase in the rate of GA accidents due to lack of currency and recency.

It might however be that the veiled intention is to kill off GA altogether leaving the skies over the UK clear for the airlines and the military.

Comment 2:
In the USA a significant element of the cost of aviation regulation by the FAA is funded through a levy on airline ticket sales. Why can this not be the case in the UK to fund the CAA's SRG?

Comment 3:
As long as the JRT report remains on the table at the CAA it hangs like the proverbial Damocletian sword over the head of UK General Aviation. Not especially in this round of consultation but certainly for the future.

The leaked first draft of the JRT report back in the early months of 2005 showed the CAA what a wind they had sown. They did indeed reap the whirlwind in terms of letters and emails to the CAA chairman, the DfT and to members of Parliament. This has caused many of the JRT original proposals to be watered down in this round of consultation.

The thrust of the complaint by the larger UK aviation industry that they subsidise GA totally fails to acknowledge the debt they owe to GA. This in terms of the supply of aircrew, often self sponsored to achieving the professional licences necessary. The same is true of aircraft engineers and other technicians, many of whom are "poached" from GA. Often regional airports have only developed to their present capacity thanks to the previous level of movements by GA aircraft over many decades. Aircraft that are often no longer welcome or subject to punitive levels of user charge.

It has to be remembered that the larger commercial end of UK civil aviation enjoys benefits GA does not share. Examples are such as the ridiculously low rate of duty on turbine fuel as opposed to Avgas. No VAT on airline tickets. The ability to pay for goods and services out of income before tax rather than after as is the case in the majority of GA end users.

From a safety aspect the majority of GA pilots pay for their flying out of a pot of disposable taxed income which competes with all other aspects of life involving expense. If the costs of flying go up then, unfortunately, the pot remains the same and less flying can be afforded. Even perhaps to the extent of folk giving up altogether. If an individual can afford less flying each year then he or she will be less proficient due to lack of recency and currency. This might well lead to an increase in the GA accident rate. Surely this is not what is intended by the Safety Regulation Group of the CAA. Whether intended or not it is likely to happen.

Finally, and most importantly, the UK air display industry provides what has become the second most popular form of outdoor public entertainment in this country. It attracts over 6 million spectators annually to watch some of the most exciting visual and aural aerial acts by both military and civilian aircraft and aircrew. There is little doubt that this reinforces the benefits of aviation to a huge cross section of our population and contributes in no small way to air-mindedness here in the UK. Air-mindedness that is absolutely vital to "UK Limited" when it comes to public support for aviation especially when applied to decision making in local councils and at Westminster along with the European Parliament.

Unlike many of those airline financial executives within the CAA SRG FAC who are now so vociferous in castigating GA for their perception of its "subsidy" by their own organisations and trade associations, most who engage in General Aviation pay for their pursuit out of taxed income.

It is indeed a tragedy that their protestations to the current CAA chairman of their failure to win the argument within the FAC has now resulted in this hugely expensive work by the JRT which might have a disastrous effect on the segment of UK aviation that really subsidises the airline industry. This both in the current round of consultation and those in the future years.

We turn now to detailed comment on your, potentially ruinous for GA, proposals.

Document 2: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 2: 1.
Comment 2:
Only one GA representative organisation, the BBGA, was a member of the appointed JRT. This despite urgent protestations to the CAA chairman by AOPA(UK), as an FAC member, to be included. No representation whatsoever was included from the sporting and recreational element of GA. An element which is the largest by far in terms of participants.

Document 3: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 3: 2.
Comment 3:
In any case the only voices on the FAC from private, sporting and recreational aviation in the UK are from the private pilot membership of AOPA and the RAeC of the UK. Such organisations as the HAA, ADAE, EAC, PFA, BMAA, BGA, BHPA, BPA, HCGB, LFA, FFA, BBAC and the BMFA among many others have no place at a forum which can determine the financial future, or otherwise, of their aviation pleasures in life.

Document 4: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 4: 2.
Comment 4:
The time recording system introduced right across SRG from 1997 may not be mature. This could lead to a haphazard allocation of working hours by individual staff. There is no doubt that, on the basis of the TRS data - subject to an independent analysis - there is an element of cross subsidy but no account is taken of the benefits to the airlines and the airport system provided in the form of provision of personnel who have obtained their qualifications and training while in GA, often at their own personal expense with no element of sponsorship.

Document 5: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 5: 3 and 4.
Comment 5:
There needed to be an additional principle as follows-
"To evaluate the benefit, to UK Limited and to the "heavy" AOC operators and larger regional airports, provided by GA in terms of the supply of professional aircrew and licensed engineers along with GA aircraft movements which boost the possibility of an airport obtaining some variety of controlled airspace".

No mention is made of the minority report submitted by the BBGA along with the JRT report to the CAA chairman.

(end of part 1)

(part 2)

Document 6: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 6: 5.
Comment 6:
We consider this a distorted view since the voice of private, sporting and recreational general aviation was not heard within the JRT deliberations.

Charging principle 1.
It is vital to remember that aviation is the only UK industry or activity to bear the cost of its own policy and regulation. All others have such costs borne by government departments from general taxation. This has been the case since the CAA was set up in 1972 though the phasing in of charges was done over a period of years. The only single aspect paid for by the DfT is that of AREIB in terms of their investigation and enforcement role where 100% of their costs are reimbursed.

Charging principle 2.
We do not accept this since, to the best of our knowledge, SRG efficiency is not measured or risk-benefit analysis undertaken. Additionally, little consideration is given to determine if the process could not be more efficiently delegated to industry or the representative bodies.

Charging principle 3.
This is only valid if sensible and appropriate. We really do doubt if the time allocation system is accurate since wasted time is often considered to be zero but does in reality form a significant proportion of any individuals working day.
Additionally, no account is taken in terms of those on the ground who benefit from safety in aviation.
It is demonstrably unfair to pass on to GA any under-recovery to merely balance the books.

Charging principle 4.
Why not pass on non-statutory activity undertaken by SRG and in particular the General Aviation Department, to outside organisations such as CHIRP and GASCo. Third parties on the surface benefit from SRG work such as the falls of \"blue ice\" from the skies. Surely the DfT should foot the bill here.
Is there any \"loss leader\" consideration in costing CAA courses for foreign agencies in terms of enhancing the possibility of future overseas contracts?

Charging principle 5.
Our perception of the real GA subsidy to \"heavy\" AOC operators must be accepted.

Charging principle 6.
It is absolutely essential that any aspect must be agreed by industry in terms of it being both necessary and appropriate. There can be no \"blank cheques\" here if GA is to survive, never mind thrive and prosper.

Charging principle 8.
This must be a joke.

Charging principles 9/10/11.
To our limited knowledge the cost of dealing with enquiries from the public and MP\'s is not charged out back to the DfT for repayment. The enormous cost of policy work leading to legislative change is never charged out to the DfT. It should be as otherwise they would have to duplicate the expertise in SRG.

Document 7: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 7: 6.
Comment 7: We are of the opinion that the CAA has not significantly reduced its staff in terms of voluntary or compulsory redundancy with the advent of EASA. Some staff have voted with their feet in terms of moving to EASA or industry employment. The staff unions will certainly oppose any redundancies to the last ditch. The costs to SRG will be enormous. Who is to pay?

If insurance costs to SRG are rising then may we respectfully suggest you find another broker or underwriter. It is a competitive market out there. Use it.

The increases in charges made for FY 2004/5 in percentage terms went up by approximately 1.6%, a figure in line with UK inflation. You decided not to introduce a revised scheme of charges to come into force for FY 2005/6 which, if the same sort of percentage increase had been applied, would have gone through almost without significant comment from industry or GA interests. That was your decision and, frankly, your mistake in terms of revenue. Do not put the financial blame onto GA to attempt to rectify your mistake.

We note with some degree of scepticism your comment that \"the CAA continually strives to reduce the overall cost of regulation and the regulatory impact on all sections of the aviation community\".
The JRT report is still on the CAA financial departments table. Its implications are fairly clear from the table in para 6. In particular the GA and AAC schemes income is planned to rise from 211K in FY2005/6 to 395K in FY 2007/8, a difference of 184K. This represents a percentage increase of over 87% over three years or 29% per year - a truly swingeing increase that will impact GA very seriously.

Document 8: Consultation Document on SRG Charges
Paragraph 8: 7.
Comment 8: 7.1
AOC/POC schemes.

Your proposals will have the effect of seriously damaging the sub 15 MT AOC operators financial viability to the extent that you risk seeing many go to the wall. Do you want this to happen? If so then remember all those professional aircrew who gain their initial commercial experience with such operators. This to the benefit of the \"heavy\" AOC operators who then \"poach\" them from their smaller brethren.

GA and AAC schemes.

Apparently some two thirds of GAD costs are now paid for by \"heavy\" AOC operators. This possibly equates to the costs incurred in policy aspects by a significant proportion of GAD staff, both FSO\'s and administrative. Surely this does need to be paid for by the DfT as, in the absence of the CAA and especially GAD within SRG, they would have to provide the required level of expertise from their own government departmental resources.

You state the assumption that volumes will remain similar to those in 2005/6. We really do think you are underestimating the damaging effect your charging scheme proposals will have on the level of activity. This in many areas, not merely that of GA and AAC activity.

We note your intention to conduct a review of GAD activity and have seen the letter from the CAA chairman sent out to representative organisations recently. We commend the idea as being long overdue and look forward to seeing the result of this review. We are more than willing to offer specialist advice should this be necessary.

Your charging proposals in this scheme amount to an increase of approximately 8.4% in the effective period April 2004 to January 2006 or some 33 months. This equates to approximately 3.3% per annum. Even this is above the rate of UK inflation.

The outraged reaction to the leaked JRT draft report almost certainly had a huge impact on the CAA as a result of pressure from individual \"stakeholders\", MP\'s, the DfT and, we believe significantly, by the avalanche of protesting letters and emails which arrived on the desk of the CAA chairman.

Aerodrome licensing etc scheme.

Licensed ATC is not necessary for GA in terms of probably 98% of that done in the UK in day VFR \"see and avoid\" conditions.

The efforts of the joint CAA/GA industry Light Aviation Airports Study Group which has had some 6 meetings so far in 2005 may well remove the need for virtually all small licensed aerodromes to have any form of CAA regulated licence. It should be noted that only 10% of all the aerodromes in the USA are regulated in any way by the FAA. Even then their oversight is a \"paperwork\" exercise by submitting a box ticked proforma. Any physical inspection process by the FAA is only as a result of an accident or incident in order to check the veracity of the placed ticks.

The derogation in terms of movements by heavier aircraft than appropriate for the category of aerodrome licence is to be reduced from the present \"less than 700 movements in the busiest quarter\" to \"less than 25 per annum\". An enormous potential reduction in numbers with no explanation given.

The current Aerodrome licensing charges are incorrectly quoted in terms of the lowest category aerodrome day only licence at present available but now to be discontinued whether or not any night flying is possible at a particular venue.

The increases proposed for both aerodrome and ATC licensing are horrendous. Percentage increases of 386% for aerodromes accepting aircraft of between 2.73 and 6 MT are suggested and ATC provision at aerodromes employing up to five ATCO\'s are intended to rise by 500%. Have you any concept of the damage this will cause...???

Personnel licensing scheme.

You propose a new charge for the approval of micro light schools offering FIC of £280 with a, presumably annual, renewal charge of £250. This for work which could be done by the BMAA as is, we understand, presently done for SLMG FIC training by the BGA in its member clubs.

Charges for the initial and renewal of both private and professional pilots licences are to rise by approximately 7% and 9% per annum respectively. An increase well in excess of inflation. It is not beyond the wit of man to delegate the administrative element of the issue or renewal of a pilots licence, especially those in the private sector, to industry as has been the case with the NPPL. This with no adverse safety implication and a huge financial benefit to both the CAA and to those outside.

Airworthiness etc scheme.

Your proposal to introduce a charge of £1675 for \"stand alone\" Part M subpart G and F for aircraft weighing up to 5.7 MT in iniquitous bearing in mind such approval will usually be funded by an individual or very small company.

Permits to Fly are to be subject to horrendous level of increase in charges that will affect non PFA or BMAA administered aircraft. These include all \"warbirds and ex-military jet types. Your current income here is £156K and this is proposed to rise to £663K, some 425% over 4.5 years or about 94% per annum. What a disastrous increase for the operators of, what might well be termed \"heritage\", aircraft that contribute enormously to the living history of UK aviation.

Permit charges for those aircraft less than 2730 kg will rise by 23% as will the maximum charges imposed on such aircraft. Huge increases once more that directly impact on the private GA owner operator.

We note with a degree of alarm in one of the documents reference to the cost of CAA staff time being, inclusive of overheads, £172 per hour. Later in another document we have noticed that an FSO in GAD costs £84 per hour, once again inclusive of overheads. Why the difference. Are surveyors paid that much more than FSO\'s? We are certain that very few of those employed in general Aviation are paid anything like this level of salary even if one assumes half of the figure quoted as being overheads. As long as there is no well remunerated work outside the RAF for navigators or for medically rejected civil airline flight deck crew the CAA will have a ready supply of professional aircrew to fill FSO vacancies. We would however express our concern at the level of salaries offered in comparison with those on the outside.

Charges for approval of organisations are intended to rise by 168% over three years or 56% per annum. This will have an awful financial implication to those affected and will cause an immediate increase in the charges to their customers.

Aircraft registration scheme.

There is to be a 20% increase in aircraft registration scheme charges. This, presumably, to justify the additional expense imposed by the CAA adopting the checking of aircraft insurance imposed by new EU requirements. The DfT should bear these costs since it is their legislation that has given rise to them.

Sir George Cayley
25th Aug 2005, 23:39
I think the sword ref should be Damaclecian after Damaclese.

Dioclese like John Clese was involved in something completely different.

Sir George Cayley

G-KEST
26th Aug 2005, 00:14
Sir George Cayley,

Having merely a grammar school education that omitted Greek from the syllabus I bow to your superior knowledge. However no matter whose sword it is, it is ready to spit General Aviation from pate to pelvis should the fragile thread break. The thread is already stretched in terms of rising costs without any rise in CAA charges.

I am reminded of the great Welsh poet Dylan Thomas who in "Under Milkwood" wrote the superb line "do not go gently into that goodnight". I, for one, do not intend to. I am sure there are thousands of others in General Aviation that feel the same.

If only a fair proportion of them would turn their anger into action by submitting a personal response, as a "stakeholder", to the consultation as they have been invited to do by no less a person than Mike Bell, the Group Director, SRG.

Apathy over the decades in GA has let dreadful things happen to General Aviation in terms of legislative change and, to some extent, airspace allocation.

WE MUST NOT LET IT HAPPEN THIS TIME.... and that means all of us.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

WorkingHard
26th Aug 2005, 06:07
Trapper 69 - what a splendid service you do GA. I have responded to the CAA thanks really to your efforts. Is it indicative of GA that this topic has so few "hits" compared to say spare seats or even newcastle aero club?

stiknruda
26th Aug 2005, 06:22
Sweet work, Barry!

I too have responded individually.

Stik

G-KEST
26th Aug 2005, 07:11
Many thanks friends.

I do despair somewhat when you compare actions with words in GA circles. So much hot air round the club bar and so little willingness to actually do something that could make so much difference to the process of keeping our personal passions both alive and affordable.

Ah well, hope springs eternal........!!!! Cheers, not tears for the future of General Aviation in the UK.

Have a great Bank Holiday weekend.

Trapper 69

bar shaker
26th Aug 2005, 08:35
I'll have my response finished and mailed, over the weekend.

This is so important. I hope everyone gets something in, even if its just to say that they cannot afford to pay the proposed increases.

GuinnessQueen
1st Sep 2005, 15:34
I've sent a brief reply on those areas that particulalry stick out to me.

I'm not normally one for paranoia...but must admit, I don't feel that comfortable making my feelings known and then having to put my name on it. After all, these people do FULLY control my career!

Any chance this could be stick-ied as the deadline approaches?

GQ

G-KEST
6th Sep 2005, 09:40
Well thats it folks. I wonder how many responses the CAA had received by the cut off date yesterday? I hope it was enormous since we are all affected by it.

Guinness Queen remarked "I'm not normally one for paranoia...but must admit, I don't feel that comfortable making my feelings known and then having to put my name on it. After all, these people do FULLY control my career!". As a CAA pensioner I can only point out that I could replace his word "career" with, for me, the word "pension". I do fully appreciate his dilemma however my time with the CAA, some 14 years, leads me to a bit of reassurance. They do not harbour grudges especially if the respondant has valid arguments against what is proposed. On this occasion my informal CAA contacts have indicated that they are unhappy with the whole JRT issue and what has emerged.

Thanks for reading this along with my other postings.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pat Malone
6th Sep 2005, 19:38
The most powerful weapon GA has in this consultation is an independent report by a respected firm of international aviation consultants, Helios Technology, submitted just before the deadline.
This report was proposed by AOPA and sponsored by AOPA, the BBGA and BHAB. Some major companies pitched in a lot of money (it cost £10,000) including Cabair, Oxford Air Training, Transair, Besso, Bickertons (owners of Denham) and Wycombe Air Centre. Several dozen AOPA corporate members also chipped in £100.
The most damning sections of the report say the CAA is in breach of Cabinet Office guidelines on two counts for failing to do a Regulatory Impact Assessment on the effect of these increases. It recommends the charges be put in abeyance until after the two reviews of GA currently under way.
Helios complains it wasn't given enough time to complete the report – unusually, the CAA failed to respond to requests from AOPA to extend the deadline – but there's a lot of food for thought in it. For instance, it says some small operators are paying 7.5 percent of their turnover in CAA charges, and the proposed increase will take that over ten percent. By contrast, the airlines who will benefit from the changes are currently paying 0.02 percent of turnover to the CAA.
It says the CAA is wrong to state that the new charges will not affect general aviation. Some companies will probably go to the wall, it says, while others will move offshore. The result will be that the CAA will have to raise charges further in order to recoup its costs from a dwindling base.
It questions why the CAA should be constrained to make six percent profit on its operations. The Treasury guidelines for the public sector say 3.5 percent - but the Department for Transport demands six percent from the CAA.
There's a lot more of this, but the real power in the report is the fact that it is independent, and the CAA cannot simply dismiss it as industry whining.

G-KEST
6th Sep 2005, 21:36
Pat,

Excellent news. That Helios report, though expensive, should prove a real dissuader for the CAA in pursueing their punitive charging scheme proposals arising out of the flawed JRT work.

If I had known of the report then I too would have been willing to make a small contribution of, say, £25 to the cost as a half owner of a PFA Steen Skybolt. I am still fully prepared to do so but would like sight of the full report in due course. Please let me know to whom I should send my personal cheque.

My own efforts in analysing the CAA charging scheme proposals and preparing my response was at my own cost and freely offered to others who might not have had the time available to do the job themselves.

Thanks to the electronic revolution in communications using the internet and email it really did not cost me money, only additional time.

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p

Pat Malone
7th Sep 2005, 07:06
Trapper:
Contributions very welcome, even though the report will be made freely available. Please send to:
Martin Robinson
AOPA
50A Cambridge St
London SW1V 4QQ.
PM me with a direct email and I'll send you a copy of the report.

G-KEST
20th Sep 2005, 23:32
The CAA website has the following information -

CAA consultation on new SRG charges proposals
UPDATE 7 September 2005
The SRG Charges Consultation has now closed. Thank you to all those who have
responded. The CAA received 219 submissions from industry and the views will
be included in our document to be published on this website in late October

With all the implications for General Aviation I would have expected a far larger number of responses from those who will be affected by these draconian proposals. I fear many of us in GA suffer from the delusion that it will not happen or that someone else will respond for me or that they are just too busy making the money to afford to fly anyway. Apathy rules once more.

Nevertheless the number of responses were significantly larger than usual, probably by a factor of five. May I personally thanks those who did take time to respond. your efforts just might make the difference.

We shall see what emerges in late October.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: