PDA

View Full Version : Nats Application - Am I To Old?

NIGHT CRAWLER
14th Aug 2005, 22:10
Hi all

Applied to NATS a few years back, but failed at the interview stage. Passed the computer test, but it was the one on one interviews which got me - think the nerves got the better of me.

Anyway, thinking of reapplying now family is a little older, unfortunately so am I. At the last count I'm 29 years and 10 months old - birthday at the end of October.

I once read that it is possible to apply for NATS up until your 30 years old, but training can take place after that age. Is this true? is their anyone else out there who has successfully done this?

I'm going to fill out the online application form anyway (they didn't have that facility when I first applied) and i'll let you all know the outcome.

wish me luck - i'll need it!!!!

Hootin an a roarin
15th Aug 2005, 10:12
Night Crawler

You must be under 30 by the date of application so I would get the form in ASAP. A couple of guys on my course were well over 30 but had previous Controller experience.

Good Luck! :ok:

VRB03KT CAVOK
15th Aug 2005, 12:00
I was a few weeks past my 30th birthday at the time I applied. I was initially rejected but got the green light for testing after an e-mail drawing them to the fact that I've been flying for 4 years...

Gordon Bennett
15th Aug 2005, 12:10
Official line is that the age limit is waived for people with "significant aviation experience" This is why, as an existing NATS employee, I was taken on at age 35 for controller training.

Never take no for an answer!

ProcATCO
15th Aug 2005, 19:01
Hear Hear!!

NEVER give up. I was 31 when I got on the NATS course.

I was subject to the waiver "significant aviation experience" due to the fact I had 2400 hours of military aircrew flying.

Never say never!!!!!!!!!!

:ok: :D

NIGHT CRAWLER
16th Aug 2005, 17:17
Thanks for the information, I'll apply anyway and see how I go.

foghorn
16th Aug 2005, 19:48
I was 29 3/4 when I first applied. It took over two years to work through the application system - luckily it's much quicker now.

I'm now 32 and at the college of knowledge, and was not even the oldest on one of my courses.

Get the application in quickly and don't worry about it.

trap one
19th Aug 2005, 18:41
Night
Current NATS age limit past which they willnot take any application is 45. Yes you do have to have Aviation experience to stretch to that age. But best of luck, I failed on aptitude tests after being a Mil Area controller for 14 years with no Flight Safety busts, so the earlier you do them the better as they are aimed at younger Uni age group.
Trap One

Odi
20th Aug 2005, 15:24
33 yrs old (and 3 days!) when I started.

I found the written tests the hardest as my brain wasn't as in tune with learning masses of written work as those who were straight from uni. However, I passed and a lot of the younger ones didn't - I sometimes wonder if it was because I wanted it just that little bit more.....

Are you planning on taking your family with you? I didn't and commuted home every weekend.