PDA

View Full Version : Using scanner at US airports

mcdonnellluke
14th Aug 2005, 11:54
Hello
I am going to New York (JFK) in October but I have been a bit concerned about taking my scanner there in the light of the current security climate (I fear-and my parents fear that I could have my equipment confiscated!). I am just asking what the tolarence is like to airband listeners at JFK and other US airports in general as I would like to here what ATC comms are like in New York as it is a very busy aviation hub but on the other hand I would not like to face legal and other consequences. Anyone any advice on what I should do?
Luke

PaperTiger
14th Aug 2005, 15:52
Use of scanners in the US is governed by Federal, individual State and in some cases City ordinances. New York State has one of the most restrictive laws (section 397) which, although intended to prevent listening to police frequencies, effectively makes it an offence to simply posess a scanner.

The airports and environs are under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority Police (not NYPD) who are not well-disposed to spotters. Confiscation is probably the least of your concerns, being detained for some considerable time or even in jail is not entirely far-fetched.

Leave the scanner at home, you probably wouldn't understand the controllers' accents anyway :)

gazman21
14th Aug 2005, 16:03
www.liveatc.net
you can listen to live atc from all over the world

B Sousa
14th Aug 2005, 16:24
On the other hand as a Pilot I always carry my scanner and transeiver with me along with any other equipment I dont want to show up at the flea market or some baggage handlers house. I have yet to have a problem. You can go to the website www.tsa.gov and search for prohibited items.
I would agree that walking around a terminal with one in hand will no doubt draw attention. Its only because of the paranoia that exists after the U.S has so terribly failed on keeping the wrong folks out of the country.

Possesion of a scanner as far as I know is not illegal. New York is a place to avoid anyway. If NYPD will not allow you to listen to their frequencies its probably because they dont want you to hear what they are not doing. Too many employees costing too much money. Dont think your safer because of them.
If you think you will have a problem, put it in your checked baggage or better yet leave it home..

Avman
14th Aug 2005, 22:13
My advise would be not to use it openly in public view because, as mentioned above, of public paranoia. You can use it discreetly inside your (hire)car and in your hotel. Listening to ATC and pilots in the USA is something almost completely alien to what we are acustomed to over here, but great fun I find.

B Sousa
15th Aug 2005, 00:05
"Listening to ATC and pilots in the USA is something almost completely alien to what we are acustomed to over here, but great fun I find."

Im not going to dispute Paper Tiger, but I cannot believe that listening to Police Frequencies is illegal. The only reason I question this is because New York is such a weird place and nothing there would surprise me. Guns are illegal in new York city so you know who the only people there who have them. Scanning is done everywhere in the states and one can purchase a scanner at any Radio Shack store for a few dollars. I do know that transmitting on certain frequencies is illegal without the proper FCC license. I thnk that information can be obtained via www.fcc.gov
I hope Paper Tiger will come back with a website to prove the point, again anything in NY is possible.

PaperTiger
15th Aug 2005, 03:27
http://www.nf2g.com/scannist/nys_laws.html

B Sousa
15th Aug 2005, 08:07
Thanks PT, As I said Nothing surprises me in New York and I certainly dont feel any safer with them "Serving and Protecting"
Based on my past experiences they only serve and protect themselves.
I preface that with 27 years of Law Enforcement work.

ve3id
18th Aug 2005, 02:17
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transportation/radar.htm

Has a write-up of these laws. As a licenced radio amateur from Canada, I am asked if the radios I have in the car are scanners every time I go through customs into New York State. A couple of years ago I was asked this getting off the ferry in Bar Harbor, ME.

It really is illegal under some state laws, and cops sometimes try to confiscate equipment from amateur radio operators, who are exempt from the state laws because the Federal laws under which they are licenced supercede them.

Best advice is leave the scanner at home.

411A
18th Aug 2005, 16:35
It is not illegal to monitor any public service frequency anywhere in the USA because the US FEDERAL government says so, in codified federal regulations.
You CANNOT however disclose the contents of same, nor can you rebroadcast to others.
Some states do indeed try to confiscate scanners and/or amateur radio equipment installed in automobiles, however, in each and every one of these cases, where contested in Federal court, the Federal regulations have prevailed, and the equipment needed to be returned to the owner.
Excepted are cases where illegal activity of a criminal nature occured.

So, if you have the bucks required, you indeed can win and retain your equipment, and possibly litigate for just compensation.

OTOH, if you want to avoid problems altogether, just keep it out of sight.

seacue
19th Aug 2005, 12:46
mcdonnellluke,

Look at your PMs.

sc

derekl
26th Aug 2005, 17:04
I travel to the US a great deal and always have an amateur transceiver with me (particularly in California where it's considered polite to be equipped for emergency communications).

After being questioned once, I now carry a copy of my UK Amateur Radio licence which is valid in the US under the CEPT T/R 61-01 reciprocal agreement.

Farrell
30th Aug 2005, 15:46
I bring my scanner into the US all the time. It always travels in my flight bag which I take on board with me.

I have had my bag searched a couple of times but the David Clarks and the flight computer usually get more attention than the scanner.

I use an earpiece with the scanner if I have a long wait at the gate. I love listening to RT in the US - the relaxed atmosphere might grate on some pilots but I love some of the comments that get thrown back and forth.

One poor F/O's mother got slated in KORD one afternoon!

cwatters
30th Aug 2005, 15:51
www.liveatc.net
you can listen to live atc from all over the world

..even in the airport lounge on a palmtop device fitted with a wireless LAN.