PDA

View Full Version : Groundschool Required

twizzle999
14th Aug 2005, 11:24
Can anyone recommend a DEDICATED Groundschool ?

My club does ground training but this can take forever - one evening a week for ages.... Others I have approached have said they "fit it in when the weather is bad" or when flying permits.

I don't have the time or patience for this so need to find one which just does the theory.

Anyone got personal experience and a recommendation for me?

Twizz

Mr Man
14th Aug 2005, 12:01
Depends where you live! The attitude of the schools sounds typical of the ones I enquired to.
If you're Southern,I beleive there's one in Bournemouth,but not sure if he's still going,If North there's a very good one near M1 & A1 ,Gamston,no details to hand but I'll get them.Beleive also a facility at Cumbernauld,Flight Academy or something.I used Gamston & she was very good,also FAA priv & commercial!

helicopter-redeye
14th Aug 2005, 12:15
Groundschool for what? (an obvious question perhaps, but drives the answer ...)

h-r:)

scubawasp
14th Aug 2005, 12:15
Try www.harvardaviation.com

Mr Man
15th Aug 2005, 07:32
Got the details.Pm me if you want details of my experirence,we did a full days dedicated school on a single subject followed by the exam at the end of the day.You do need,in my opinion,a VERY BASIC overview of the subject but Linda really makes the learning easy and fun.I don't know if this is the format for all instruction but I think it is.
Not sure what advertising rules there are,I'll post the contact details that I have,but pm me if this isn't allowed,they should be the same but if they've changed let me know as I fly to Gamston fairly often & I'll get details.
Good luck with it all,it really isn't so bad :ugh: and some of it is actually RELEVANT :O

[email protected] 07798 801080

PS Helicopter Redeye has a point,I'm assuming it's fixed wing,not sure if she does whirly!

helicopter-redeye
15th Aug 2005, 10:00
I was thinking more GS for PPL or CPL/ ATPL or IR or CRM or etc

Malcolm G O Payne
15th Aug 2005, 15:46
Try David Deacon on 01295 780370. He Used to do this. Ex CFS,BA and OATS. Give him my name.

simonlantos
16th Aug 2005, 11:40
Derek Davidson in Bournemouth is very good. Recently been there for PPL Groundschool. 1 subject a day followed by exam. I don't have the number to hand, but he regularly places add's in the rear of Pilot magazine:ok:

twizzle999
20th Aug 2005, 16:05
Mr Man,

I'm in North Yorkshire so thanks for the tip about Gamston. Had a chat with Linda and she was very helpful. She does FAA as well as the CAA stuff. Sounds great!!

To be continued ..........

Twizz

twizzle999
1st Sep 2005, 11:18
For all you interested, I did the Groundschool with Linda - FANTASTIC is all I can say!

She makes the learning interesting and it is all quite light-hearted. I passed all my exams first time so thanks Linda, and I shall pass on your details to everyone learning with me.

Indeed to everyone - her number is 07798 801080. Go for it and I'd suggest you can cut down the hard work by getting a very basic knowledge of the subject first.

Now I can get on with the flying!

Thanks Linda for all your help and good luck with the Groundschool.

Twizz999 (but you know me as D____!)

NT42
1st Sep 2005, 11:55
I don't suppose anyone knows of any "dedicated ground schools" in the North-East? Long shot I know, but I'd like to do it in the same way Mr Man described it. I'd love just to get them all out of the way.

Anyway, any help for the North East (Newcastle or surrounding area) would be appreciated.

Cheers,

JW.

Mr Man
1st Sep 2005, 19:37
Hey twiz,glad you're happy.
I came to realize the only real value for money is DEDICATED ground school,and the only productive learning is with a teacher who's enthusiastic,friendly and makes the learning FUN!:D Hard to believe but there's not many around.I have a busy life and needed the help,Linda's great and I met her through recommendation.
JWforeman,sorry I can't help for further North,but Gamston's has good road links,less than half a mile from the A1,and you could do an exam a day,whenever you get time,sorry I can't be more helpful,but I'm not an expert on groundschool,honest!;)

NT42
1st Sep 2005, 20:27
You know what Mr Man, thats not a bad idea!

Especially with air law needing done very soon, I could go down for the day to do it. Thanks for that. Before I get too happy with the idea, how far away is Gamston from Newcastle? Or where is the nearest city?

Sounds a perfect way of doing the exams, Imust admit...

Cheers,

JW.

Mr Man
2nd Sep 2005, 06:52
Hmm,nearest city? Is Doncaster a city,not sure but it's probably the nearest place with main rail links,however,WORKSOP is very close and this is quite a big town.
Maybe Twiz can offer advice as he's been there so recently,that's if he's still reading this post now!
I flew in to Gamston,and Linda's school is all of 200m from the runway:ok:
I say a big GO FOR IT,get airlaw out of the way,it'll give you a taste of Linda's style,and you'll soon be through them all!

helicopter-redeye
2nd Sep 2005, 10:18
Doncaster is not a city (or even a real place).

The nearest Cities are Sheffield, Lincoln and Nottingham.

The nearest town Retford (and railway station on the mainline to London and Newcastle)

h-r:)

NT42
2nd Sep 2005, 11:14
Thanks for that!

I think I may get it sorted, and get the train down (unless I can find some willing pilot from up here!). Sounds great.

Cheers for the info,

JW.

twizzle999
30th Jan 2006, 21:30
FINISHED!!

Just a thank you to you all on this thead and especially to Linda True at Gamston for the Groundschool and my Flying Instructor Steve for the flying side.

I'm all done and dusted now and looking forward to the summer and flying up there in the blue, not the grey like in the last few winter months.

Thanks guys.