PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of sick leave?

Avman
13th Aug 2005, 10:45
In June, the F.A.A. said that abuse of sick leave and overtime was common at the Tracon.

I noticed this in a posting on the BOS incident in News & Rumours and I was thinking how this is also applicable over here. Unfortunately, managers fail to comprehend that THEY are the main contributory cause of this increasing problem. But, instead of identifying the root cause they simply take the kind of punitive measures which further aggrevate the problem.

Many people are sick. Sick and tired of being managed by grossly incompetent managers/directors.

DC10RealMan
13th Aug 2005, 14:00
I am not condoning the abuse of sick leave, however at Swanwick I recently asked for a days leave six months in advance and was refused due to staff shortages compounded by Bristol sector trials. A friend died two years ago and I was refused leave for the funeral because he was not "immediate family member" is there any wonder this "abuse" (your words not mine) occurs.

Lon More
15th Aug 2005, 10:49
Realman At six months notice and for one day surely it was also possible to swap a duty? You don't mention at what time of the year you wanted it however, if it was during a busy leave period, i.e. school holidays, or when simulations were planned, then it is understandable that it would be refused.
For a funeral a sympathetic supervisor could have helped, even going so far as to arrange swaps for you. If it was such a close friend that his/her death was going to interfere with you carrying out your duties, then sick leave would be appropriate.

BTW At no point did Avman use the word "abuse", he merely quoted it. I can understand his feelings as the morale and confidence in management at his unit has reached rock bottom, and is now starting to dig. In fact a strike had been planned there for today but has been postponed.

Lon More, here before Pontius was a Pilot or Mortus a Rigger

DC10RealMan
15th Aug 2005, 21:44
You cant do swaps at Swanwick because of shortage of staff, the leave has not been released that far in advance due shortage of staff, the roster has not been published because the leave has not been published due shortage of staff, The roster is only published on the 20th of the preceeding month so you cannot guarantee nights or days due shortage of staff. I did not have a sympathetic supervisor to authorise sick leave due to service provision due to lack of staff. I need to retire!!!!!