PDA

View Full Version : Golf course question...

MichaelJP59
12th Aug 2005, 14:16
Here's one for the panel - I have a non-pilot friend who is a keen golfer, and he's wondering if we can fly somewhere, land, play a round of golf, then come back.

Now seeing as the golf-course has to be within walking distance this restricts us.

I could think of Dornoch in Scotland, but that's a bit far for a day trip.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

DubTrub
12th Aug 2005, 14:30
Hucknall has a course real close. Have you moved from BC?

MichaelJP59
12th Aug 2005, 14:40
DubTrub, are you confusing me with someone else?

I've never lived in BC (British Columbia??)

jabberwok
12th Aug 2005, 15:20
Earl's Colne has a golf course adjacent to the airfield..

tacpot
12th Aug 2005, 15:25
Why does the course have to be in walking distance? I thought the walk was the point of the golf! There is a golf course next to Sheffield City airport, but I think you would need a taxi to get there.

Will it have to be a public/municipal golf course or will you be able to blag your way into a members club?

Good luck with your search.

bcfc
12th Aug 2005, 15:25
I believe theres a strip adjacent to a course at Trevose in Cornwall. Its just near Padstow and Constantine Bay.

MichaelJP59
12th Aug 2005, 15:36
Walking distance?

Why does the course have to be in walking distance? I thought the walk was the point of the golf! There is a golf course next to Sheffield City airport, but I think you would need a taxi to get there.

Will it have to be a public/municipal golf course or will you be able to blag your way into a members club?

Actually, I fly from Sheffield, so we could cut out the plane altogether - much cheaper!

Seriously though, we do want to fly some reasonable distance though, say at least 100 miles, or it won't feel like we've gone anywhere:)

Short taxi ride would be OK as well.

Members clubs no problem as long as we take our flourescent jackets off.

rjt194
12th Aug 2005, 15:45
There's a disused strip right next to the golf course at Bognor Regis. The tarmac strip is still there I believe...

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&X=495000&Y=101000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=&pc=&zm=0&scale=25000&multimap.x=317&multimap.y=195

B Fraser
12th Aug 2005, 15:47
RAF Benson is a golf course with a runway up the middle. Nice to see our taxes are being spent on defending the realm :rolleyes:

topcat450
12th Aug 2005, 16:13
Skegness has a couple on it's doorstep IIRC.

It's a bit busy though from memory though relatively cheap for a round compared some members clubs. There's always a hold up on the 6th - it's a bugger trying to time the ball through the intermeshing windmill blades. :}

By the same token I bet Clacton & Cromer also have 'em

Mike Cross
12th Aug 2005, 16:49
There's one within the circuit at Popham, just to the north of the 08 threshold.

Mike

Wrong Stuff
12th Aug 2005, 16:52
There's one within easy walking distance of Denham. Parking on the Cabair side would be closer.

DubTrub
12th Aug 2005, 18:17
confusing me with someone else?

Evidently I am! Sorry!

Monocock
12th Aug 2005, 18:25
Don't worry MichaelJP59, DubTrub confused me with a Lancaster pilot last weekend.

crap pilot
12th Aug 2005, 18:26
There is a nice course next to barton. Maybe a little too close to you if you want an hour flying though.

BRL
12th Aug 2005, 18:53
There is a good golf course next to Dieppe if you want to go mad and fly that far!!!

There is also a good municipal one quite close to Shoreham, a short taxi ride will get you there for about a tenner, or if you decide to come down this way I can give you a lift to it if I am about you want.

The one in Bognor I think, belongs to LEC, the household appliance makers and I heard one of the sons used to fly in and out of there but was tragically killed in his plane a long time ago.

Talkdownman
12th Aug 2005, 20:16
Roserrow, near Polzeath.

http://www.roserrow.co.uk/rose.htm

DubTrub
12th Aug 2005, 20:45
Now we've gone foreign, BRL, may I recommend to Michael:
Castellon-de-la-Plana, on the Spanish Med Coast. Great little airfield, nice golf club with residential facilities!

Did I, Mono? Must have been that rather fine ale causing brain fade!

Fuji Abound
12th Aug 2005, 21:36
Lydd

L2K two courses

Sandown

MichaelJP59
12th Aug 2005, 22:51
Spanish med coast is probably going a bit far for a day trip, but maybe a 5-day flying/golf tour may be on the cards with all these suggestions:)

Monocock
13th Aug 2005, 08:05
or something to do with my circuit size!

Small Rodent Driver
13th Aug 2005, 08:16
Woodvale.

There are a couple of smart looking ones within the circuit and Birkdale is within a fiver,s cab ride.

Landings are, I believe at MOD rates but depending on what you fly, there is a microlight strip just down the road where golfers often drop in to use the local courses.

DubTrub
13th Aug 2005, 08:22
Oh, yes, I remember now! So what was the Dorset scenery like?

wombat13
13th Aug 2005, 09:27
Ronaldsway, then a five minute ride to the links course.

Maxflyer
13th Aug 2005, 09:54
There's one within the circuit at Sywell. I believe it is called Overstone Park or something similar.

policepilot
13th Aug 2005, 15:48
Fly to Barton, then Boysnope next door. Municipal course, so not posh.

Sir George Cayley
13th Aug 2005, 19:25
Don't forget that steel shafted golf sticks don't get on with magnetic compasses

Sir George Cayley

BEagle
13th Aug 2005, 20:17
"RAF Benson is a golf course with a runway up the middle."

Back in UAS days, I taxied over to the tower to get out and send the student solo. As I was stopping, a white ball came bouncing towards us. It just missed the prop and came to rest on the taxiway.

Having the same attitude towards golf as Mark Twain and Jeremy Clarkson, after I'd soloed up the seat and sent the student on his way, I pocketed the ball and made my way up to the tower. Then had much fun watching some old saddo poking about in the grass for his wretched ball.

"Tell the old fart that if he wants his FOD back, he can bloody well come up here and apologise", I said to the assistant.

He didn't.

About an hour later the student taxied back over after his circuits, I strapped back in, then threw the offending ball out of the aeroplane as we taxied off.......

Runway 31
13th Aug 2005, 20:55
Plenty of courses near Prestwick.

helicopter-redeye
14th Aug 2005, 07:20
What of all the course in Scotland? Every island has one or more courses AND a landing strip that is (usually) OK for FW

Colonsay looked nice last week. Theres a spot on course at MAC. Also on Islay, Mull, at Plockton, Skye (BF), Gigha ....

You could even set up your own temp course on the beach at Barra if you get the timing right.

h-r:)

Droopystop
14th Aug 2005, 17:12
Barra has its own course but you would have to be quick so as not miss the tide. Both Benbecula and Stornoway have a course within easy access of the airports.

Maude Charlee
14th Aug 2005, 17:19
Carlisle has a course under the climb out from R25. Always been curious how the locals play golf with their 13 fingers. :}

Alternatively, Woodvale has a certain championship course nearby, although I suspect you would be welcome at neither. They're sort of friendly like that.

How about Prestwick? Championship standard courses galore within spitting distance, and plenty more besides. If I remember right, Troon alone has 3 different courses.

andyb79
15th Aug 2005, 01:55
Cumbernauld has Westerwood golf course just over the fence on the climb out from 26.

Kolibear
15th Aug 2005, 11:31
North Weald has a course nearby, so does Southend and theres one close to Stapleford too. In the South East, theres more golf course than any thing else so the answer is to pick an airfield, theres bound the be a course nearby.

BigSteve81
15th Aug 2005, 11:36
I believe Fishburn just north of Teesside is about a mile away from a golfcourse

MichaelJP59
15th Aug 2005, 11:49
How about Prestwick? Championship standard courses galore within spitting distance, and plenty more besides. If I remember right, Troon alone has 3 different courses.

Prestwick might be a good idea as there are some fine courses, but is it GA friendly? Presumably there are big "handling charges"?

helicopter-redeye
15th Aug 2005, 11:55
As long as you book in advance with the 'right' handling agent and buy something valuable like fuel handling is about the same cost as a landing fee.

I've been in there a few times. Nice biscuits while they fuel the machine for you and give it a polish ...

h-r:)

Juliet Papa
15th Aug 2005, 16:18
Goodwood? Dunno how much the golf is there, or even if non-members can play, but got to be worth a look. About 10 mins walk from the field, but I'm sure transport would be forthcoming. A lovely course, I'm told by people who know about such things.

JP

See Goodwood's website (http://www.goodwood.co.uk)

Pierre Argh
15th Aug 2005, 20:05
Roserow Golf Course... just across the river from Padstein in Cornwall has a private landing strip

See

http://www.roserrow.co.uk/

splatt
15th Aug 2005, 21:07
Have seen a golf club/course at Bristol Filton (EGTG). Not a golfer so don't know anything about it but it was on the Airbus side of the aerodrome. Safe bet that it's Filton Golf Club if you want to contact anyone about it.

http://www.filtongolfclub.co.uk/ - website not working at the time of this posting.

Talkdownman
15th Aug 2005, 21:09
Ah!
An echo from Roserrow............

ThePirateKing
16th Aug 2005, 11:23
Don't try and go there in an SR22 following a dodgy "yes, it's perfectly flat" telephone briefing! :eek:

TPK:ok:

MichaelJP59
16th Aug 2005, 12:41
So how bad is the strip at Roserrow then, Aviat Husky required?

Pierre Argh
16th Aug 2005, 16:10
The Roserrow grass strip is 700m long, fringed with long grass; slightly downhill with a gentle dog-leg to the right. Windsock seems a bit on the small-side, and being careful about the crosswind from the left, avoid the bunkers just past mid point to the right, and aim to touchdown just short of the green.... Green? Ooppps I think I''ve just landed on the 15th!

MANAGP
16th Aug 2005, 21:01
Just to the SE of Haverfordwest is Rosemarket. Situated there is the Dawn til Dusk golf club, and yes you can land on the fairway! No website but contact details are on http://www.welshgolfcourses.com/west/dawntilduskrosemarket.php

I think the details of the strip are in the back of the AFE VFR Flight Guide.

ThePirateKing
16th Aug 2005, 21:12
Pierre Argh wrote:
slightly downhill with a gentle dog-leg to the right
Hmm... more like quite a pronounced hump with gradients on the first and last third and level-ish in the middle. We (well, not me, I was "navigating" such as one does in an SR22) made a text book performance approach onto the threshold and became airbourne again as the upslope levelled out. :uhoh:

Two approaches from one direction and one from the other (wind was across, unfortunately) made no difference. Off to Perranporth instead then!

Still, with a more sensible stead, it did look nice.

TPK:ok:

PTR 175
17th Aug 2005, 16:15
RAF Henlow has a course around part of the airfield. The aircraft parked in the Hangar have to chew up, sorry, Taxi across the fairway to get to the parking area. Now and then a golf ball appears on the parking area.

RNAS Culdrose. HMS Seahawk if you prefer, is another that springs to mind.

silverknapper
19th Aug 2005, 09:13
Splatt - spot on. It is Filton Golf club. Cracking course and walking distance from main gate.

Smeagol
19th Aug 2005, 11:16
How about Norwich?

Courses within a short taxi ride:

Royal Norwich
Sprowston Manor

And some more still pretty close:

Costesey Park
Bawburgh
Wensum valley

Play them all....make a weekend of it!

Zlin526
20th Aug 2005, 20:43
Clacton has a golf course across the road. I know this because I had a golf ball hit my prop and then whistle past my ear as I was landing there a few years ago:*

NorthSouth
10th Sep 2005, 15:19
Fife (Glenrothes) has a course under short final r/w 25.

Crail has (Balcomie?) walkable to the NE

Perth - Murrayshall

Innerleithen - Cardrona

RAF Lossiemouth

Ace Rimmer
15th Sep 2005, 08:07
At Goodwood there are two courses one at the Marriott and one in the grounds Goodwood House the latter is the one to play - they rebuilt the last few holes recently (some time in the last 2-3 years - a shame cos the 18th (225yrd par 3 right in front of the clubhouse) was a really great hole. Goodwood Golf Club has passed back into the hands of the Estate (who of course also own the airfield) as a business so it probably isn't as difficult to get a round as it once was (not that it was ever a problem mid-week).

Le2K
The golf courses are about a 5 min taxi ride with Taxi Jean-Pierre (much closer to the airport than the town). There are three courses Le Mer, Le Foret and Le Manoir(9 holer). Le Mer is the one to play - a truly classic links course although Le Foret is also a good test especially since the re-design of holes 13,14 and 15..

Prestwick
Isn't Royal Troon just t'other side of the perimeter fence?