PDA

View Full Version : How do I get to Le Touquet without any hassle

del_boy_ben
11th Aug 2005, 20:55
Hello everyone.

I'm planning to fly Elstree to Le Touquet on Sunday (weather permitting) with my girlfriend. I want to make sure that everything goes well. There's just a few things i want to make sure of:

1. Who are the best to talk to while crossing water?

2. Is it true I have to talk French on Sundays?

3. Is it advisable to go on a Sunday?

Also, Im not to sure on the rules regarding altitude.
Any help would be appriecated.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Flying Lawyer
11th Aug 2005, 22:13
It's not a matter of who's best to talk to, but who you must talk to. Look at your chart and think FIR boundaries.

No.

No reason why not except that it will probably be very busy in the town. It used to be the most popular day for GA pilots from the UK; not sure if it still is.

Although it's an easy trip, it involves more thorough planning than just asking here. Plan very thoroughly, and get a FI or experienced pilot to check your plan.
If you're renting, the school probably has restrictions which may involve having to do the trip with an instructor first.

You'll need to file a Flight Plan - and close it after each leg. If you can, get hold of a form and fill in the basics in advance to save time on the day. It's a little complicated until you get used to it.

Check the weather very carefully to make sure you'll be able to get back. In marginal visibility, a grey sky meeting a grey sea has it's own very real hazards.

If you like fish, go to the Restaurant-Perard in the centre of Le Touquet. It doesn't look anything special but the fish is fresh and delicious. Their home-made fish soup is the best I've tasted in Europe.

IO540
11th Aug 2005, 22:14

After leaving Eltree frequency, London Info 124.60, up to the FIR boundary, then you just call up LTQ on 118.45

NO. The only airfields where you have to manage French are the non-ATC ones, and most of them don't have Customs anyway.

Not really if the weather is nice because half the UK PA28/Cessna fleet are heading for the same airport and the same restaurants :O

Also, Im not to sure on the rules regarding altitude.

You need to look at the chart. On the CAA chart it's obvious. You will be below FL075 anyway at the FIR boundary and then just descend.

You badly need to dig out an instructor who has been past the nearest crease on his map, and ask him! Also, while LTQ is shown adequately on the CAA chart, for anything further you need the proper SIA charts for France. What about alternates? Flight plans. Etc.

DaveW
11th Aug 2005, 22:17
Undoubtedly you are best advised to speak to someone trustworthy who has done it recently.

If after that you then need supporting information and an aide memoire, I offer this. (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/Going_Foreign.htm)

Chilli Monster
11th Aug 2005, 22:57
Flying Lawyer and IO

I'm going to take issue with your answer to (2) - the matter of French speaking.

NOTAM: B3191/05 From: 2005-Jun-14 Tue 00:00 To: 2005-Sep-14 Wed 23:59
ICAO: LFAT LE TOUQUET

CTR HOURS OF ACT : MON, TUE, THU, FRI, SAT : 0700-1800 OUTSIDE THESE HOURS, CTR
DOWNGRADED TO CLASS G AIRSPACE, AD CONTROL NOT PROVIDED

As IO540 points out - the only airfields where you speak French are those without ATC - which is exactly what Le Touquet is on Wednesdays and Sundays at the moment.

This also means that there may be nobody to close your Flight Plan automatically (although the staff in the terminal can probably do that for you). Make sure it's done, otherwise the French will start Search and Rescue action and you will get a bill!

As for the other answers.

1. Who should you talk to?

As has been mentioned, London info up to the FIR boundary. Having said that if you can't get a word in edgeways then just listen out and keep your eyes open. If you have a second box then dialling up 121.5 ready in case you need help is always a good move. Lille, due to staffing aren't interested in you - so on crossing the boudary you might as well go atraight to Le Touquet.

Don't do what most Brits do on their first time across and fly according to the quadrantal rule - it doesn't exist in France. If you're VFR it's semi-circular +500ft.

3. Is it worth going on a Sunday?

No - I'd go Saturday and get there before the market shuts :)

Monocock
12th Aug 2005, 07:25
Well then Del_Boy,

Looks like you're off to the cinema instead on Sunday:ugh:

My first French trip was carefully planned although I didn't have a X-Channel check.

The whole thing really was very easy and I went direct from Seaford to Le Touquet with very little hassle. It's a big psychological build up for a very easy flight.

After my fourth 60 mile channel crossing in a light single I vowed never to do it again. I think it's silly. If/when I do it again it'll be via the shortest route.

FullyFlapped
12th Aug 2005, 07:46
The only thing I mght suggest is that you consider talking to Manston instead of London Info - much quieter in my experience, and very helpful the last time I did this trip.

FF :ok:

Flying Lawyer
12th Aug 2005, 07:49
Chilli Monster

Good point.

BTW, I refuelled at Le Touquet en route from Beaune last Wednesday when the Tower was closed. We filed our flight plan via the Terminal office - very helpful, no problems, but it was quiet.

Lowtimer
12th Aug 2005, 08:02
Has Manston re-opened, then? I thought they were still closed / bust.

IO540
12th Aug 2005, 08:39
There's also the GAR form to fax - Customs/Immigration in this case.

Good point about LTQ Chilli! I haven't been there for ages. It's the sort of trip one does once or twice and then one goes to more interesting places :O

dublinpilot
12th Aug 2005, 09:16
What's the position with customs on a Wed & Sun?

The AIP notes that customs hours are as per ATC opening hours.

Does the notam affecting ATC hours therefore also cover customs. If so, Le Touquet couldn't be your first or last port of call in France on a Wed or a Sun?

stiknruda
12th Aug 2005, 10:18
Manston were not answering when I came back from Kortrijk on Monday.

Stik

S-Works
12th Aug 2005, 10:21
cross channel check??? No doubt logged as P2 and charged dual rates as well. Bah!

LFTA is easy if you are worried about first time flight plan and customs stop at Lydd and do everything from there, easy peasy.

In the summer we go every couple of weeks very early, catch the french market and home by mid morning with bread and chees and a little seafood!

I think Manston were still notamed shut.

Capt. Vilo
12th Aug 2005, 10:54
Best way ..... EGTR - LAM - DVR - CAP GRIZ NEZ - LFAT

Best to talk to ...Elstree, Stapleford, Southend, Le Touquet
Just be aware as you proberly know Le Touquet gets very busy on weekends and you will probably see half of Elstree there anyway....

Have a good trip

bobdee
12th Aug 2005, 12:56
Manston is now open. Ckeck your notams and see www.tfly.org.uk

del_boy_ben
12th Aug 2005, 15:51
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i should have made it clearer. I have already done my cross channel check but it was 2 years ago, - it was a nice quiet friday- so I just wanted to be a bit more up to date on getting there. I also had another trip there on my own a couple of weeks later.

As the notam says that the airfield is unmanned does that definitley mean that I have to talk french? Also, is it easy enough to get the spot wind charts over there, because im hoping to leave early and wont have the afternoon weather.

Thanks again in advance.

(I think im just really worried about the calls at Le Touquet, which might have to be in French)

Flying Lawyer
12th Aug 2005, 16:43
"does that definitley mean that I have to talk french?"

If you go to Le Touquet on a Sunday or Wednesday, yes - see Chilli Monster's post.

I've found a free on-line dictionary of aviation terms for you. The automatic translation facility is at the very bottom of this page: English-French aeronautical translator (http://www.goursau.com/accueil.php?lang=en&titre=Aeroafp)

However, it's not going to help much unless you know the basics of French pronunciation (eg If you pronounce 'dix' as 'dicks' it may cause some confusion) and I doubt if it will be any help at all in understanding people speaking to you in French.

Five easy days and two tricky days to choose from.
Your call. ;)

Another St Ivian
12th Aug 2005, 17:30
I went to Le Touquet for the first time today. Dead easy.

Fill in a General Declaration form and fax that off to the Customs people, and then fill in a flight plan for the outbound/inbound journeys and fax those off. Give it an hour then activate your flight plan and off you go.
I routed BPK-LAM-DET-LYD-Cap Gris Nez-LFAT. I spoke to London Information most of the way who handed me off to Le Touquet at mid-channel. The RT is really quite easy, the navigation more so (just watch your VOR tuning and tracking). The controllers at LFAT today were English speaking and it was all clear and easy. Before speaking to LFAT Tower tune into the ATIS so you can get an idea of what's going on.
When you arrive you pop into the lovely little terminal there and book in, pay landing fees and so on. We then walked down into the town, pleasant walk, and had lunch followed by a wander around.
Main points learnt today were to check the weather thoroughly, it can change significantly along the route, and really study your flight planning. I'd also recommend not doing this trip unless you are comfortable operating without a horizon. There's really not allot to visually reference when crossing the channel.
With regards to the weather, there's a couple of terminals to the right of the arrivals room that let you stick your route in and will draw up METAR's/TAF's from all airfields along your route.

Anyway, it's a great flight and I'd thoroughly recommend it!

Guide to filling in a Flight Plan (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_SSL20.PDF)

French Crib Sheet by a fellow PPRuNer (http://members.lycos.co.uk/andyhardyuk/France/fr_circuit.pdf)

French Flight Planning (Great tool) (http://olivia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/index.php?lang=en&ref=sia)

LFAT Plate (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/METROPOLE/AIP/IAC/IAC%20AD%202.LFAT.pdf)

tmmorris
12th Aug 2005, 19:16
Anyone know - I can check with the club, but just to save time - what the procedure is if I fly to L2K from a UK military airfield? I presume it counts as a customs airfield but do I need to file a GAR?

Tim

BEagle
12th Aug 2005, 19:18
How to get to L2K sans prob? Eurostar to Calais, turn right. Job done.

DaveW
12th Aug 2005, 20:17
Tim,

I've flown to France from an MOD field in a civilian aircraft.

The procedure was to file a GAR to Customs and Immigration in the normal way as if for an airfield that is neither "Designated" nor a "General Aviation Agreement" airfield. In practice, this means inform them a minimum of 4 hours before your time of return.

del_boy_ben
13th Aug 2005, 13:50
Well thanks again for all your help. I think I feel much more confident now. I will be going if the weather is good and I will let everyone know how I got on.

Thanks again.

Ben

Fujiflyer
13th Aug 2005, 18:23
dublinpilot, the implication from the SIA AIP certainly seems to indicate that on these 2 days LFAT is non-customs airfield.

If this is the case thats a shame - it means there's few (if any???) GA airfields left in France where customs PNR of the day before, or many hours before, at the very least. Nantes would seem about the nearest to my base (Shoreham).

:(

2Donkeys
13th Aug 2005, 20:08
Fujiflyer

Your interpretation of the plate is incorrect. LFAT remains available for customs without PNR during airport hours (as distinct from ATC hours) even on Wednesdays and Sundays.

2D

dublinpilot
13th Aug 2005, 20:16
That's good news 2d's!!! I'm hoping to use it next Wednesday ;)

dp

distaff_beancounter
13th Aug 2005, 21:03
LFAT remains available for customs without PNR during airport hours Ah yes - but has anyone seen a dounier there in the last couple of years? I have visited at various times & on various days of the week & the Customs office has always been empty. :confused:

Mind you, Pierre on his 'follow-me push-bike' was still marshalling aircraft on my last visit. :)

Fujiflyer
13th Aug 2005, 21:28
2D, thanks for that, I'm glad to hear thats the case,

Best Regards,

Rich :ok: