PDA

View Full Version : NATS September Starters

OB1ChrisOB
11th Aug 2005, 15:29
G'day one and all.

I thought it was time to start a new thread to collate rumor and information about/for those Trainee Air Traffic Controllers who think they might be starting in Bournemouth September2005.

According to an email from back in June I'm provisionally on this course and now with a Class 1 (ATCO) medical certificate to my name I'm hoping this means I'll be down there next month. However, as anyone who reads this forum regularly can gather NATS is sparse with the details up until the last minute and pestering HR is something best done once you have a signed contract or better still a valid licence. With that in mind here's over to the PPRune ATC community for some constructive rumor and information sharing. Here's my chronology:

First applied Aug 2003 - got to interview stage early 2004, HR interviewer had a broken foot or something and so missed out on that part and subsequently told I'd not got through. Reapplied Sept 2004, tests Jan 2005, interviews (incl. HR) Feb 2005, told sucessful Mar 2005, Medical Apr 2005, certified Jun 2005...and now waiting to start the best job in the world!!

and what I have gathered from other posts:

- The September course will most likely be for Area and Airports at a ratio of 4:1. Which discipline is not predetermined

- The June course was delayed from the beginning of the month and started June 27th

- The June course initial 13 weeks ends on Sept 26th when the next one will likely start.

- Most of the June people were given one months notice

- There are round about 30 people on any one course

- The induction week takes place at a conference centre called New place in Hampshire see: http://www.initialstyle.co.uk/venues/index.php?venue=44

Other useful threads:

June/September Courses - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158825

DEC 05 Start - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181438

Pay at ATC college(Particularly for Dances with Boffins's notes on course structure) - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167795

Maybe someone like Dances with Boffins could confirm what's happening with course 205 (Sept)?? and when we might get confirmation:O

In the mean time lets use this thread to bring all us September expectees together. I'm 24 and from a mainly IT background. Originally from the North West, I went to uni in London and stayed there for a few years. I've spent a few months this year dispatching at EGGP before moving down to Warwickshire to live with my fiancee and temp till this thing kicks off.

OB1

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Aug 2005, 16:24
God... HR really lets the side down.

Don't imagine it's like that at front-line units, where you'll meet some REAL professionals wearing headsets.

Good luck one and all..... wish I was starting again!

vector801
11th Aug 2005, 18:41
Hey OB1,

Thanks for the excellent & very informative post.

I too am due to start provisionally on the September Course. I applied for the position Feb 2004, sat aptitude tests in April 04, sat interviews in November 04 and had medical in Jan of this year.

I have a funny feeling though that I was due to start on the June Course. It seems that HR managed to not receive my Class 1 medical confirmation......... and didn't do anything about it until a month ago. I had to make numerous phone calls to get it sorted out myself, else who knows whether I would be starting at all.

Bit of info on myself. I'm 24 also & from a Retail Background. Sounds like I'm not to far from you as I live in Warwickshire too. I didn't go to Uni so I’m really looking forward to getting away from home and meeting some cracking people.

I look forward to meeting all on the course and getting ready to knuckle down for the inevitable barrage of work that is to come.

Regards, V801

P.S. I'm on MSN so if anyone wants to get in touch just PM me.

Fletchers Left Boot
11th Aug 2005, 19:30
If any September starters need info about the Bournemouth area, or the College itself, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Edited cos I couldnt even spell my home town properly!

OB1ChrisOB
13th Aug 2005, 12:34
NATS HR seem to have got a grip this time round! The day after my long post above - a confirmation letter and contract finds its way through the post. :D :O :D

I'ts official - Sept 26th course 205 will start and I'm on it. That's a whole 6 weeks warning!!

Much of what I posted above appears to be confirmed by the letter - though I will have to wait for communication from the college re: specifics of the course and its timetable of events.

HD - I'm now really looking forward to meeting those real proffessionals.
Vector801 & Fletchers left boot - I'll be in touch no doubt!

Good luck to those still expecting, looks like you might know more in the next few days. It would be good to know if there are more PPruners out there who'll be joining me!

vector801
13th Aug 2005, 16:53
Got my confirmation letter yesterday to.

Starting to count the days now :O

V801

garam
15th Aug 2005, 15:54
Hi all,

I'm also due to start on the September course. I applied way back in late 2003 and I was due to start on the June course but I requested to be put on the Sept course so I could "clean up" at work (in terms of some free shares :O )

Officially handed my notice in to my current employer last week and then I just found out (from chasing the start date) the x-ray part of my medical has gone AWOL so I'm currently having to get a copy off my doctor before I can get final confirmation. Not worried about this yet although my parents are worried that come 26th Sept I will be signing-up at the job centre instead :O

I'm 27, went to Hull uni to do engineering and spent the last 5 years writing software for a telecoms company in Newbury (I'm sure anyone who's been to Newbury can work out which one).

Really can't wait to start, been counting down the days with a desktop countdown clock for almost a year now...
Currently ETA: 41 days 16 hours 7 minutes and 45 seconds ;)

Look forward to meeting you all.

Dances with Boffins
16th Aug 2005, 12:17
One of the managers here warned me off letting too much information out too early as things got a bit hectic around the start of the June course, hence the lack of communication since.
If you have specific questions, post or PM me and I'll ask him to get the official CATC position. He gets it straight from the horse.
As it stands at the moment, all statements at the top of the thread are good.
Go back to your families and prepare for lift-off.....

DWB

Someone_Else
16th Aug 2005, 14:00
Except...has the induction gone back to New Place? I thought they had recently changed the venue i.e. two courses ago!

Any questions about college life, feel free to ask..plenty of us students about to offer our oppinions!

foghorn
16th Aug 2005, 19:52
204 induction was back in New Place after being in Meon Valley seriously pi**ing off the golfers for a couple of inductions.

finetime
17th Aug 2005, 13:53
Quick note from me just to say hello to the people above starting on the September course. I've also recently had confirmation come thru and so should be seeing you guys n girls then.

I'm in the middle of doing some travelling at the moment (thought I'd take the opportunity to sack off my previous job a little early and see some of the world) so excuse the short email.

But by way of a short intro: i'm 25, from Birmingham and after an engineering degree found myself in recruitment....don't ask me why, I still to this day don't know and we've all got our dark past!!! Definitely looking forward to the end of Sept though!!!

Quick question: Have you lot already sorted out accommodation etc? I don't return until mid september so any help or advice on this subject would be appreciated.

See you all in a few weeks!!
;)

MrsC
17th Aug 2005, 14:19
I've got a quick question.

I passed the interview stage and was told on June 30th. I then did my medical on the 12th August and the doctor said I would pass, so am now just waiting the certificate.

Personnel have told me they could pencil me in for the Sept 26th and send me a contract but it would all be hanging in the balance until the certificate came through as I would be unable to start the course if my certificate didn't come through in time!!

For me to start on the 26th I need to hand in my notice on the 25th August, so not long now!!

Roughly how long did everyones certificates take to come through??

Thanks in advance!!

radar707
17th Aug 2005, 14:52
MrsC, best thing to do would be to ring the medical people at Gatwick and explain the situation to them and find out when your certificate will be issued they will be able to give you an idea of whether or not it will come through in time and gives you the opportunity to get pencilled in for September

Phlex
23rd Aug 2005, 11:49
Good Afternoon PPRuNers

Im also on course 205 (provisionally of course)

Seems a bit thin on the ground at the moment.
No doubt more 'lambs to the slaughter' will pop out of the woodwork as 26th September looms.

Just hoping we dont experience the same delay issues as the folkes on the June course......(hows the course going guys? any tips/pointers/advice for the newbies?)

Mrs C - my medical cert took about 2 weeks to arrive so you might just scrape through. did you call them ?

Finetime - Going to leave the small matter of accomodation until the induction week. See what the general consensus is then.

Garam, Vector801, OB1ChrisOB - looking forward to it !!!

See you soon

Phlex

Beejam
24th Aug 2005, 00:06
The college really sucks.

Well compared to life as a valid controller anyway;)

You should all now be looking forward to a few good pi**ups in Bournemouth.

P.S. They now have a Spearmint Rhino as well!!!!

Hotairlass
24th Aug 2005, 20:27
I am on course 205 as well!!

Looking forward to it.

I first applied in Feb 2003 so I have waited a long time!

I am 26. My background consists of a degree in engineering and then 6 years in retail.

I am a bit worried about accommodation. Any suggestions?

See you all soon.

Taffy1
24th Aug 2005, 21:25
Hello!!
I am another one on course 205 and cant wait to get started at last!! First applied Apr 2004, selection tests Jul 2004 then interviews in Sept 2004, been waiting to start since.
I am currently a dispatcher at EGCC, been here 6 1/2 yrs. Am originally from Wales, so I am fully prepared for the sheep jokes for the first few weeks down in bournemouth as been living up north for last few years and think I've heard them all by now. Any other fellow taffy's on course 205???

Has anyone recieved the lisits with recomended accomodation from HR yet? Not really decided how to go round it all yet.

So thats my introduction to my new coursemates, look forward to meeting you all end of sept.

Taffy1

BMTHTATC
25th Aug 2005, 11:00
Hi I'm on course 204 at the college at the moment, A Note for Mrs C, Ref The medical, One of the guys on our course started without a medical and didn't get it until 6 weeks into the course, I Don't think Nats will let this happen again, so keep on medical dept back until you get that certificate, call them every other day make sure they are doing something about it!!

If any of you have any questions feel free to ask, i will do my best to answer them, probably best to PM rather than just post on here though!

Hope you are all getting excited now, and getting plenty of rest before starting because you will need it!

Bombay Vindaloo
26th Aug 2005, 13:07
Hello everybody, I too am on the September course (all being well!)

I had a call from NATS HR today to ask if I wanted to join the 26/09 course. Provisionally I had been on this course anyway, but then I was put back to December, and now brought forward to September again!!

Regarding the medical, I too have experienced delays in being cleared. My chest x-ray report went missing between the hospital and the medical dept., but with a few phone calls to HR, the Med Dept and the hospital, I managed to get it sorted fairly painlessly. I still haven't received my certificate though, but HR tell me that all is well because the info has been sent to them now.

A bit about myself then - I am 26, currently living in Bedfordshire. Spent 6 dull years in financial services (pensions to be exact), before finally applying to NATS last year. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a month's time!

As for accommodation, I have read mixed opinions on PPRUNE. Many people suggest B&B's rather than fixed term rentals due to the unpredictablility of the course, but I am considering a house share as this seems to be pretty flexible for not much money. If anyone else is considering this, try http://uk.easyroommate.com.

See you all soon!

PS I used to live in Lancashire - seems to be a few from the NW!

italianjon
26th Aug 2005, 13:52
Hi all,

I am on the September course too...

I'm 25, currently living in Berkshire, although grew up in Southampton, so I know the area moderatly well.

Graduated from university with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and have worked for an aerospace manufacturing company ever since.

Can't wait to change.

Anyone else think this thread is starting to resemble a lonely hearts page?

See you all in a month!

J

26th Aug 2005, 23:11
What a thread this is......will the whole course be made up of re-treads or will anyone be joining that actually has even a faint interest in aviation and has made ATC their first choice?
Don't be afraid to admit genuine enthusiasm for something other than the salary.......please.
Regards from the voice of the past.

MrsC
31st Aug 2005, 10:29
Well...posted my acceptance of the contract last week...provisionally now signed up for the 26th Sept assuming my class 1 comes through in time!

I'll be moving to the area with my husband, dog and cats!! He works down there anyway so not too much of a problem...but provides serious motivation for passing (if I needed it anyway!!)

Girl question.....whats everyone wearing for the 1st week induction course?!!

Spy Chick
1st Sep 2005, 11:03
Well, the notice has been handed in, term & conditions signed - awaiting bundles of information from HR (!!) - and all ready for course 205 SEPTEMBER!!

Any fellow class mates to be out there?? Currently live in Surrey, so will be looking to keep my house up here and rent in a B&B for a while until I know the lie of land........any thoughts from any chaps/chapesses??

Any others in a similar situation with some words of wisdom to impart??!! Would appreciate some details of nice/friendly/cheap B&Bs that might be suitable................!!!

fly bhoy
1st Sep 2005, 13:37
How about this lot?!? (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185544)

FB:ok:

garam
1st Sep 2005, 13:41
Hi SC,

Check out the thread "NATS September Starters" for fellow course 205'ers.

See you in 25 days :O

garam
1st Sep 2005, 14:13
Came back from my hols to find a class 1 medical waiting for me and have just posted off the t&c today :ok:

Also taken the opportunity to print off MATS part 1 for a bit of pre-course light reading, anyone else giving this a read, guess you can't be too prepared.

As for clothes MrsC, even though I'm not a girl, I was looking forward to putting my work gear on the bonfire as I imagined the college and induction week to be a relaxed dress policy. Maybe someone from a previous course fill us in on this?

Scuzi
1st Sep 2005, 14:29
For the induction week you'll need your shirts and ties for the Monday and Friday. The Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are spent with Top Team running around and building super structures out of logs and rope so you'll need your casual clothes for that. For dinner in the evening you'll need something smart / smart-casual.

You'd better just bring the whole wardrobe!:}

Gonzo
1st Sep 2005, 17:34
'When I were a lad' the dress code at the college was shirt and tie. When I was last on a visit it seemed the dreaded 'dress down Friday' had been introduced.

Shocking! :sad:

Jerricho
1st Sep 2005, 18:49
Ah Gonze, you seem to forget during summer we were allowed to wear polo shirts :ok:

Gonzo
1st Sep 2005, 19:33
Were we?

Don't think I ever got that memo. Perhaps it was aimed at the more lax standards of colonials.....:yuk: :yuk: :}

BMTHTATC
2nd Sep 2005, 13:16
At New Place, Monday and Friday you need to be smart, tue, wed,thur in stuff you don't mind getting grubby.

At College 1st day be very smart, afterwards shirt's and smart trousers but no tie needed, Friday's are dress down day.

up the tower
5th Sep 2005, 09:12
What is the current salary the cadets are paid, just like to get an idea of budget etc if there is any success in the future.
Am I right in thinking that the £100 weekly allowance is only paid when you are in college and not during the OJT part?
Web site states around 6 months for training now, is that what most people are seeing.
Good luck to the september starters, lucky things:D

OB1ChrisOB
5th Sep 2005, 22:53
Basically chaps and chapesses, I couldn't resist another post - the anticipation is eating away at me! So much so I was clicking my way through the NATS website and came across a video about the college. Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but if you want a look go to http://natscareers.co.uk - you have to follow the links: careers - job descriptions - controllers - training - view the college video... (Sorry no direct link - its flash!!) It certainly whets the appetite if you can stomach the corporate style video production.

A few thoughts on accomodation, even though I've seen no official list yet - most previous comments re: B&B style (prob my preferred choice) - seem to point to Westby Road (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bournemouth&ll=50.725481,-1.836905&spn=0.012414,0.030088&hl=en). Like Phlex I might leave actual sorting out til Induction week. My Question is what have people done for internet access in the past?? - Do any of the common haunts have wireless internet access for example?? I aware I won't have any time to surf freely - but it'd be nice to be able to use email/pprune etc.

garam - RE:MATS Part 1 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493PART1.PDF) I've been waiting for a good opportunity to print this off at someone's expense other than my own, but I certainly intend to get reading. By all accounts it will be our new best friend in the coming months!

up the tower - check out the link at the top of this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185544&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)RE: Pay at College - its been well posted about before and in case you are wondering, the numbers posted are current.

To summarise then: thats nine of us on here, approx 1/3 of the course watching this thread: me(OB1ChrisOB), vector801, garam, finetime, Phlex, Hotairlass, taffy1, Bombay Vindaloo, italianjohn and mrsC - oh and Spy Chick who started thread of her own (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188233) - so that's 10! I can see the 'bridge building' type teamwork tasks being fairly competitive with all these engineers about :D - pick me, pick me! Anyway, if anyone wants to start Googletalking/MSNing/Emailing, just PM me.

OB1 out.

jonnyvtec
6th Sep 2005, 08:17
I just got a call from NATS HR asking if i wanted to start end of September course. Silly me said no (didnt help that i was woken by the call), I cant call the number back for some reason i just get a tone noise so sent a msg on teh msg centre (heres hoping :rolleyes: )

Seems alot of other guys did a degree in Engineering too :ok:

Hopefully i get a call back promptly to hopefully grab that space :cool:

MrsC
6th Sep 2005, 09:35
Hi Jonnyvtec

I've sent you a PM with some numbers and contacts if that will help?

KiraRin
6th Sep 2005, 15:13
Well, bod from 204 here.

There are a lot of our course living on Westby road and the surrounding area, cause it's cheap and easy to get into the town to go out at night. Plenty of people to share cars with, and seems an okay area (if you don't mind chavvs ;) )

We had the whole "I like to see the men in shirts and ties" talk too. I have to say, we have kept up the standards (mostly) and everyone looks smart. Apart from the godsend of friday, that is dress down day. Ladies, most wear just some smart trousers/skirt and a top suitable for the weather.

Accomodation pay is only while you're at the college, so our 2 weeks leave we have coming up mean we're going a bit short this month. But still, its not a bad paycheck when all is said and done :)

I think you guys are going to be subjected to the same as us. Distance learning. It really is quite a good idea, and would work really well if sent out on time. Basically, you get the course material before you start, just make sure you learn it as they DO ask questions.

Please, don't let your experiences with HR colour your view on NATS. Believe me, its 100% better when you start. The instructors are great, the people on the course are fantastic too. And not just on your course, they all intermingle and give each other tips and support.

Well, one of our lot will be going to new place to talk about their experiences so far, and fill you in on all of the best drinking emporiums.

Just relax and enjoy new place, great for making new friends. Just get ready for a couple of months of extremely hard (but fun, mostly) work.

MrsC
6th Sep 2005, 15:31
Thanks for the info KiraRin that looks really useful.

With regard to the distance learning, how long before the induction course did you get it as I don't think any of us have received anything yet!? And roughly what was it?

I've started reading up on Aviation Law and Meteorology (that kind of thing) is that roughly along the right lines?

Thanks again

italianjon
6th Sep 2005, 15:38
Being a fellow 205...

I got some stuff this morning... joining instructions etc...

I guess you'll recieve stuff tomorrow.

It's a booklet... Have not sat down and had a proper look at it yet. but will do later today.

There are a few other bits in there too. You'll see when you get it... nothing to worry about!

Later,

Jon

MrsC
6th Sep 2005, 15:47
Right, one final question.....what are the hours of the college? Does anyone know yet? Due to silly complications, we're not going to be able to rent in the area until Christmas time, so I'm going to have to commute for a bit - it's only 50mins, I've done worse but I just wondered how much time it was going to leave me in the mornings/evenings!

italianjon
6th Sep 2005, 15:51
I'll have about the same commute from the other direction.

I am working on 8:30 until 5. I am pretty sure that's been said although I can;t put my finger on a piece of paper stating that, other than 40 hours per week.

I think there are times we are required to work a shift pattern, but have no idea when that takes place.

jonnyvtec
6th Sep 2005, 16:47
Thanks MrsC.

It was Vicki I spoke to this morning after ringing the number on NATS main site. Rearranged medical to this Friday to get things moving faster so ive just got back from the hospital after my X-ray.

I think i too will also be taking the BnB route for first week or so (did this on my placement in Bristol a few years ago), I certainly would like to live with a few college 'colleagues' as it really is benefitial to have a few guys in the same boat as you.

Cheers

KiraRin
6th Sep 2005, 18:07
I got the distance learning stuff less than a week before new place. You won't get ANY chance for study there though. When you're not chasing each other through the trees with logs and tyres, you're in the bar "teamworking". We only used the DLP for navigation though. I wouldn't worry about it, just get a general overview of whats in it.

The college is from 8.15 til 4.15, so you miss the rush hour traffic. You don't actually start work til 8.30, but if you're in the sims, its worth getting in a little early to strip up. And sometimes you'll stay behind voluntarily to revise!

We have a few people on the course who commute, but I would really recommend staying in Bournemouth through the week. Even if it is just midweek, there really is an advantage in being able to revise with coursemates. Living in a B&B is not ideal, but you surprisingly get used to it. And you do get the £100 a week towards it.

Also, don't forget about the monthly trip home you get to make an expenses claim for. It has to be your registered home, so all those in scotland, look forward to a nice extra tax free lump with your pay packet.

You'll be told all of this at new place on the first and the last day.Any questions you have will be either answered by one of the staff there, or on the thurday they drag some poor unsuspecting trainees down to answer any questions you may have off the record. Use this time to settle anything you're worried about. Don't forget, any problem you may have, someone else might have been through exactly the same.

Time absolutely flies down here. You'll be on the basic course and finished before you know it ;)

Out of curiosity, have people decided if they want to go area/aerodrome/approach yet?

foghorn
6th Sep 2005, 20:32
"Just get ready for a couple of months of extremely hard (but fun, mostly) work."

And then you get to go on a rating course.... then the work really starts :)

MrsC
7th Sep 2005, 13:31
I really want to do area!! I've been inside Swanwick and I loved it!!

goddammit
7th Sep 2005, 14:20
Is it true CATC will soon (however long that is!!) close and alltraining will be done at swanwick??

8th Sep 2005, 23:05
A very genuine "good luck" to you all, this is the best job in the world.
Reverting to normal tongue-in-cheek mode.....I live round the corner from New Place....tried to get in to see the last course, thought a real operational controller might be welcome......wrong, wrong, wrong! Made it over the fence and got under third line of razor-wire before detection......completely frozen out by ring of "minders"......you are not allowed out of the brain-washing environment.....can't have the future "elite" polluted by a dose of reality.
Don't forget to ask about overtime for the evening sessions!
Tip....join the union pronto!

Fletchers Left Boot
9th Sep 2005, 08:38
No definite decision has yet been made on CATC's future.. but expect it to be there till at least 2008.

MartinInTheMiddle
9th Sep 2005, 17:45
Nice to know that NATS are taking their "duty of care" seriously and repelling local riff-raff like 055166k from contaminating our virgin recruits and spoiling the nice environment of New Place.

Good Luck 205 Course!

9th Sep 2005, 20:23
Ouch! Direct hit.......still, if the cap fits and all that. I don't think you're on my Christmas card list.....but I forgive you.....especially as you only registered under the above name to-day. For goodness' sake don't take pprune so seriously; it is a fantastic stress reliever after a day on the tubes.
Now de-selecting turn-the-other-cheek mode.

Gonzo
9th Sep 2005, 20:28
055166k,

Seems that they've tightened up the security, as I managed to get into Highfield a few times when that was still in use!

MrsC
12th Sep 2005, 13:38
Hi

Has everyone received their starting pack yet from the college for course 205? I haven't got mine still and was wondering whether I was the only one?
I can't seem to find a contact number for the college to call them, so if I am one of the last to get this pack could someone give me a contact number at the college so I can give them a call?

Many thanks!! Looking forward to starting!!!

vector801
12th Sep 2005, 15:47
MrsC Check your PM's - sent two at different intervals

V801

MrsC
13th Sep 2005, 08:16
Vector801 and OB1ChrisOB!

Thanks so much for your help!! Was v.useful!!

Spoke to the college and pack being sent out today hopefully!!
OB1ChrisOB - have e-mailed you back!

Again, many thanks and will see you at New Place!!

MrsC
14th Sep 2005, 10:54
Question to Course 205'ers!!

Are many people going down and staying the sunday night? If so...what time is everyone planning to get there?

vector801
14th Sep 2005, 11:11
Hey MrsC

I'm planning on staying Sunday Night.

I think I'll probably get down to New Place around 5-6pm.

I have called New Place & they told me that guests can check-in whatever time they like. If you require dinner on Sunday Night you will have had to be checked in and ready to eat before 9pm.

V801

NeoDude
15th Sep 2005, 11:08
Good luck folks.

I'm so envious of you all. I'm still awaiting a Glasgow date for my apptitude tests. I want this job so much it hurts, lol.

Dances with Boffins
15th Sep 2005, 11:50
Now that is the sort of keen attitude that'll get you muchos Brownie points with the selectors. Good Luck at the Glasgow selection.

DwB:cool:

nec218
19th Sep 2005, 18:14
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as another September Starter. I only found out today (19th September). It sure was a bit of a surprise- a pleasant surprise anyway. I first applied to the scheme last July after graduating from Uni, and attended selection in October and November.

Like quite few people on this forum, I'm also pondering over the accommodation issue. Surely there has to be a better way than B&B'ing it for 13 weeks or however long is spent at the college?

I guess I'll be finding out more on Sunday, so if anyone from the course is reading this, see you then!

Nic

The Many Tentacles
19th Sep 2005, 23:05
Most people spend a bit of time in a B & B before deciding who they could cope with living with. I went down the route of renting due to having a dog, hasn't caused me any problems and means I actually have somewhere to do some work.

It also means I can eat when I want to and not to someone elses timetable.

Been at the college since December and still have another 4 months to go, just be ready for a lot of bookwork in the first 2 or 3 months, not hard - just a lot of it.

Spy Chick
20th Sep 2005, 10:27
Well the September starters are lining up.......
OB1ChrisOB, vector801, garam, finetime, Phlex, Hotairlass, taffy1, Bombay Vindaloo, italianjohn, mrsC & me(Spy Chick).......been outta the country for a while and have logged back on and have been inundated by info from you guys and gals......

Thanks for the questions about clothes MrsC - its a thing chaps just don't understand!!

Am i right in ascertaining, that people have yet to sort out accommodation stuff?? Are ya just gonna hit the b&b's after New Place? I was gonna head down to the south coast tom. and find a bed somewhere......guessing maybe Westby Road!!!

Roll on Sunday evening!!!!!

Spy Chick

dannyo
20th Sep 2005, 12:08
due to having a dog

That's not a very nice to talk about the Mrs TMT!!

nec218 - you'll be at the college for a lot longer than 13 weeks. The 13 weeks is just for your basic course as far as I know. Things change so quickly round these parts!! You then have to go on to do your rating course - another 13 weeks or so for aerodrome or approach. Twice that for Regional airports as you'll do both courses. Area is (at the moment) 2 courses of 12-13 weeks apiece.

We're on Area 1 at the minute and still enjoying it.

There'll be a p!ss up (meet and greet) in your first week I would imagine so we'll no doubt see you there.

Have fun at New Place

Taffy1
20th Sep 2005, 12:14
I went down to boscombe last week and sorted out a b+b for the start of the course, one was recomended to me by a previous student and I got the last room going - from what I understood most places are going quickly or are already taken on westby rd so I would recomened sorting it out before we actually begin week monday, dont want to be sleeping on the beach (really nice beach, cold in winter me thinks)!!
Happy b+b hunting. Looking fwd to meet you all sunday night

Taffy1

OB1ChrisOB
20th Sep 2005, 19:02
Just booked myself in to a B&B too - apparently 3 other TATCs staying in the same one, which will be nice. Any of you staying in a shirt-based guest house previously described (apparrently wrongly) as 'a toilet' on here??? From ringing round, I can back up taffy1, the feeling is the popular ones are filling up.

Hope most people are staying Sunday night at NewPlace? - See you in the bar, numbing the nerves!

jonnyvtec
20th Sep 2005, 19:38
They still havent let me know whether im starting in september or not :uhoh:

italianjon
20th Sep 2005, 19:58
I'll be in the bar...

I'll get there at about 6 Sunday.

Would be good to finally meet everyone, instead of being a strange name on this website.

I am thinking, as we all seem to be getting there around the same time should we all meet up and wait before dinner... so we can eat together... what do you think???

stokest
20th Sep 2005, 20:48
I'm another september starter! Just read the previous messages and looks like most of the course have visited pprune. Looking forward to New Place on monday and then the college the following week. I'm going to New Place on monday morning because I live locally - sounds like i might be missing a good night on sunday - will try and change my arrangements. If not, I expect to see a few hung over people first thing monday morning.

Tim

italianjon
21st Sep 2005, 06:27
Tim,

I live locally too, but thought it would be better to go on Sunday, as you can meet people socially, rather than pushing their face in the mud on some "team-build" :ok:

If you're local, and can get a room sunday, come down anyway, and meet us all in the bar.

Whereabouts do you live, in Southampton itself?

stokest
21st Sep 2005, 09:49
italianjon,

I'm living in Locksheath at the moment. I was renting a flat just off the Avenue in Southampton, but when the contract ran out I decided to head home for a month. I think your right about going on the Sunday. I'm going to try and sort it today. Are you living in Southampton?

MrsC
21st Sep 2005, 11:14
I Think meeting up in the main bar before Dinner would be great and we can all eat together then! And share the nerves!and drinks!

No-ones mentioned a time yet....what about congregating in the main bar between 6-7 and heading for dinner about 7pm Sunday?

Does that sound ok to everyone?

Should we be wearing carnations in our lapels or do we think the nervous looks on our faces may give us away!??!

OB1ChrisOB
21st Sep 2005, 11:36
http://www.initialstyle.co.uk/gallery/NewPlace-Bar.jpg

Between 6 and 7 it is. Standing by the pot plant saying how you'd 'prune' it or how I hope they serve 'prunes' in the morning etc.. etc..:O

Hotairlass
21st Sep 2005, 13:07
I'll be there on Sunday. See you all in the bar then.

Armitage
21st Sep 2005, 13:33
Another one...!

Am looking forward to meeting you all on Sunday evening.

MrsC, sounds like a good idea to meet in the bar between 6 & 7pm before heading for dinner.

See you all there!

Ax

italianjon
21st Sep 2005, 15:29
Great see you between 6 and 7.

Tim, live in Eastleigh...

garam
21st Sep 2005, 16:43
Shouldn't we be saying between 1700 hrs and 1800 hrs (UTC of course) :p

See you guys then!

italianjon
21st Sep 2005, 16:56
Ok, you get first slap... pedant! :ok:

BadgerBadger
22nd Sep 2005, 10:07
Hi there,

I'm hopefully lined-up to start in December.... I appreciate that you haven't even got going yet, but you guys seem to be in the know! Have you any idea when in December that course might start. From reading your posts, it sounds like you're starting late-September, but have you heard if they will kick-off similarly late in the month for Decemeber, given Christmas and New Year?

Good luck to all of you on getting going.

OB1ChrisOB
22nd Sep 2005, 11:12
We finish the intro course on the 23rd Dec and return from leave a week and a bit after. I guess you might start Jan rather than Dec due to the Christmas period. Just a thought - no insider knowledge here - yet!

BMTHTATC
22nd Sep 2005, 13:31
HI Guys, Enjoy New Place work Hard and most importantly drink lot's, We drank so much that they ran out of beer by wed night!!!

P.S. The Pool table isn't There Anymore.

Have fun From Course 204.

jonnyvtec
22nd Sep 2005, 13:59
I'm not on September course now, gonna be December for me as my medical still isnt cleared.

Have fun!

BadgerBadger
23rd Sep 2005, 09:00
Thanks for the info..... guess I'll see you in Dec/Jan then jonnyvtec.

vector801
25th Sep 2005, 09:34
Wish all a safe & pleasent journey to New Place,

See you all between 6 - 7 :D

V801

runtobarlu
26th Sep 2005, 07:24
At last...lets be thankful that this lot have finally started and we can now move on with our lives.....perhaps we can now cover some more pressing issues... we can't wait to see you all when you finally join us in the real world !!!!!

P.S

Hope you leave SOME beer in the New Place bar..P.S Alcohol testing arrives for ATCOs soon. Hope you've got over your first three days in ATC by then !!!!!!